First Gig With IEM's

Thunderbroom

• Members
The easiest fix is more bass in the FOH.
;)

The easiest way to get more bass at FOH is turn down your amp till the soundguy has to compensate by putting more bass in the mix to compensate, it might suck for the wedges and the others without monitors. (they wont have bass unless they ask for it in a wedge.

300px-Jack_plug.png

The top plug is a TRS=3=tip/2=ring/1= sleeve
If you use a insert jack in the mixing board you will need to use a trs plug because tip(3)= send, 2(ring)=return and sleeve(1)=ground

a standard TS, or tip/sleeve, like your bass uses, will short the ring connector(the return in a insert jack) to the sleeve (the ground in a insert jack) result is no signal.

Using A trs plug with tip(3) and ring(2) wired together at the plug will return the signal to the board, and leave you with 2 signals hot(3&2) or tip and ring, and ground. Cut off a standard T/S plug and wire the shield or ground to the sleeve (1) tab, and the red(usually) signal wire to both the tip and ring (3&2) plug the TRS into the insert jack, and the ts end into the galaxies second 1/4 inch jack with the switch in mono, and you have your bass straight to channel 2 of the galaxy.

If the FOH has a direct out, it is much easier, on a balanced direct out jack, 1(sleeve) and 2(ring) are ground and cold, these may be wired together and using a standard guitar cord will basically do just that. the tip will carry the signal. Just take a cord (standard guitar type cord) plug it into the direct out of your bass channel, and the other end into channel 2 of your galaxy (with the stereo/mono switch placed in mono again) and you are done.

My only concern about the RCA's is, I think they are usually -10dbu, which is a much weaker than standard line-level signal, and the level knob on the front may not be able to attenuate(or turn down) the signal enough to keep the galaxy transmitter from clipping channel 2. (the RCA channel)

I will post this and see if it makes sense or is just a bunch of mindless ramblings.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The easiest way to get more bass at FOH is turn down your amp till the soundguy has to compensate by putting more bass in the mix to compensate, it might suck for the wedges and the others without monitors. (they wont have bass unless they ask for it in a wedge.

300px-Jack_plug.png

The top plug is a TRS=3=tip/2=ring/1= sleeve

If you use a insert jack in the mixing board you will need to use a trs plug because tip(3)= send, 2(ring)=return and sleeve(1)=ground

a standard TS, or tip/sleeve, like your bass uses, will short the ring connector(the return in a insert jack) to the sleeve (the ground in a insert jack) result is no signal.

Using A trs plug with tip(3) and ring(2) wired together at the plug will return the signal to the board, and leave you with 2 signals hot(3&2) or tip and ring, and ground. Cut off a standard T/S plug and wire the shield or ground to the sleeve (1) tab, and the red(usually) signal wire to both the tip and ring (3&2) plug the TRS into the insert jack, and the ts end into the galaxies second 1/4 inch jack with the switch in mono, and you have your bass straight to channel 2 of the galaxy.

If the FOH has a direct out, it is much easier, on a balanced direct out jack, 1(sleeve) and 2(ring) are ground and cold, these may be wired together and using a standard guitar cord will basically do just that. the tip will carry the signal. Just take a cord (standard guitar type cord) plug it into the direct out of your bass channel, and the other end into channel 2 of your galaxy (with the stereo/mono switch placed in mono again) and you are done.

My only concern about the RCA's is, I think they are usually -10dbu, which is a much weaker than standard line-level signal, and the level knob on the front may not be able to attenuate(or turn down) the signal enough to keep the galaxy transmitter from clipping channel 2. (the RCA channel)

I will post this and see if it makes sense or is just a bunch of mindless ramblings.

I'll have to read and reread it but will eventually figure it out.

Is this kinda what you're describing relative to the insert?

• Members

That is exactly the kind of cord/and plugs that are usually used on inserts. 1 of the cords is the send (or tip) and goes to the input of whatever is "inserted", the other cord is the return (or ring) and takes it back from the "inserted" processor to the channel.

As you have no desire to process anything for the main mix (or FOH) you just want the same signal to go back to the mixing board, that is why I said to wire the tip and ring together.

• Members

That is exactly the kind of cord/and plugs that are usually used on inserts. 1 of the cords is the send (or tip) and goes to the input of whatever is "inserted", the other cord is the return (or ring) and takes it back from the "inserted" processor to the channel.

As you have no desire to process anything for the main mix (or FOH) you just want the same signal to go back to the mixing board, that is why I said to wire the tip and ring together.

What if the sound guy is running me through a compressor at the board? Would the cable I linked to be what I need? I don't know what the setup is at this place and won't know until I get there in 11 days.

• Members

If he is using a compressor on the bass, he is most likely using one of those cords already. This would also make it alot tougher to use the insert. The IEM you have does not have a "parallel out" you would need one of these to get back to the mixing board.

I would bet he has a direct out on his board that you could just use a guitar cord for and it would require no special gear and be very easy. Just a cord from the direct out to channel 2 in, with the galaxies stereo/mono switch in mono.

• Members

If he is using a compressor on the bass, he is most likely using one of those cords already. This would also make it alot tougher to use the insert. The IEM you have does not have a "parallel out" you would need one of these to get back to the mixing board.

I would bet he has a direct out on his board that you could just use a guitar cord for and it would require no special gear and be very easy. Just a cord from the direct out to channel 2 in, with the galaxies stereo/mono switch in mono.

Thanks for all the info.

I'm not looking to make his life difficult when we play there. I'll talk with him about it during setup and let him know what I'm after. If he can do it, great. If not, I'll be fine anyway.

• Members

+11.

This is the biggest no-no (usually) in all IEM manuals.

had no idea! damn! i couldnt hear {censored} before i put them in, i hate to get worse. i only used them for a couple of months worth of shows. i better read up a little better! thanks!

• Members

had no idea! damn! i couldnt hear {censored} before i put them in, i hate to get worse. i only used them for a couple of months worth of shows. i better read up a little better! thanks!

I mean it's all about common sense in the end, and if one ear is getting killed by stage noise, drums/amps, etc., and you have one earpiece in, which is in essence not only a "monitor", but an earplug (especially the custom molded ones like mine), it's pretty easy to jack up one or the other, and one gets blown/worn out a whole lot quicker. If your levels on both are pretty low, you should be fine, but I just don't recommend it.

If you have live drums, that alone will usually overkill whatever signal you're getting in the remaining IEM you have in your ear, and you'll crank that signal, and bust that ear.

• Members

While he told me he could give me my own monitor mix, I asked for just an FOH mix.......

....little awkward at first but I really liked the setup overall. I'm gonna give it another go at our next gig and when we play another fest where I can actually get my own mix, I'm gonna take it.

The band that played after us last night was amazing. All the band members use IEM's and they were essentially premixed before the hit the stage as they had a setup on stage to adjust their IEM's. They did no soundcheck at all. They just started playing. The bass player was awesome and made me feel woefully inadequate. He was playing a Fender Jazz through a Mesa setup and I was blown away.

If he offered a mix, I would have taken it, the earbuds are no where nearly EQ'd to reproduce the FOH mix, you'd need to really tweak an EQ before the signal got to eh IEM unit, plus the FOH mix is not what you need to hear from where you are, chances are you'll still hear the cymbals just fine, trust me, and you only need to dial in a little of the drums, then it's mix to taste, some guys like a lot of guitar in their ears, I like enough guitar to hear the key (which I can also pull from my bass, that is going through an amp onstage for the tactile sensation that is playing bass, not too loud, but enough that I can tell I'm playing the low notes) and the vocals on top, mine cutting through a tad more than the rest, I can still hear them enough to make sure my harmonies are right... but that's just me. I hate riging ears and monitors that bleed into the FOH messing up the mix (on smaller stages)..

I'll never be able to talk my one guitar player into going to ears, the other guy wants to but can't afford a set. (Drummer and I use my Sennie SR3056 pro dual unit..) I think if we got the thrid guy to go, we might really be ble to make a case to the last guy, but he's old and set in his ways....... :cool:

• CMS Author

I'll have to test it with mine and make sure that is right. Also, gspointer brings up a good point about the insert jack. I don't have enough experience with them to tell you that it will be that simple.

The easiest fix is more bass in the FOH.
;)

The easiest fix is HAVE YOUR OWN MIX!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Or are points being awarded for complexity????

• Members
The easiest fix is HAVE YOUR OWN MIX!!!!!
:mad:

The place we are playing on 6/20 (where all of this stuff emanated from) can not send me my own mix. The reason that I did not ask for one at our gig yesterday is because I wanted to try out what I'll be facing on 6/20.

• Members

How does that work? Your own mix? Who controls the mix?

During rehearsals I've been standing where the FOH would start.
Maybe I should be standing where I would be on stage?
Then I might need a monitor?

Do you need a monitor / aux send for each member of the band?

I've been relying on watching/hearing the kick for timing/lock and watching the rhythm guitar for changes. So far so good.

Our drummer likes to feel the bass so I put a 210 cab facing him.
Works great.

• Members

Yeah, because that's always an option. I suppose we should all just buy our own 24 channel boards with 6 aux sends and take them to our gigs to make sure everyone in the band gets their own mix. That's what, $2000 for the A&H GL2400? That's super easy and totally doable for most working bands.

• Members

How does that work? Your own mix? Who controls the mix?

During rehearsals I've been standing where the FOH would start.

Maybe I should be standing where I would be on stage?

Then I might need a monitor?

Do you need a monitor / aux send for each member of the band?

I've been relying on watching/hearing the kick for timing/lock and watching the rhythm guitar for changes. So far so good.

Our drummer likes to feel the bass so I put a 210 cab facing him.

Works great.

Ideally, all of the singers should have their own mix, but I actually prefer hearing the FOH mix as a singer because I can easily hear where my voice is sitting in the mix and alter the volume and sound at the source to make it sound like it needs to. In my limited experience in running sound, inexperienced singers who have their own monitor mix sing to the level that their monitor dictates. If their voice is higher in the monitor than in the house, as it always is, then you can end up chasing their vocal level around all night because they have no idea what it sounds like beyond the stage.

If you have a good mix and a group of bandmates who all play to the song, everyone in the band can get by just fine hearing the FOH mix in the IEMs.

Most bands I've seen have more than sufficient stage volume for everyone to hear everyone else, so the instrumentalists who do not sing honestly do not need monitors.

• Members

Since it hasn't been stated enough in this thread, ditch the Galaxy earbuds. They're as close to awful as you can get, and the earbuds that came with my Zune sounded better than the ones that came with the Galaxy system. I went with a set of UE Super.Fi 5 EB earbuds (the extended bass version) and love them. It's a night and day difference compared to the stock 'buds, and you can usually find these things on sale for under a hundred bucks. Makes your MP3 player sound great, too, and they have replaceable cords if they get damaged. (I thought I had to replace mine recently but it turned out the connection had just wiggled loose. Oops.)

• Members

Since it hasn't been stated enough in this thread, ditch the Galaxy earbuds. They're as close to awful as you can get, and the earbuds that came with my Zune sounded better than the ones that came with the Galaxy system. I went with a set of UE Super.Fi 5 EB earbuds (the extended bass version) and love them. It's a night and day difference compared to the stock 'buds, and you can usually find these things on sale for under a hundred bucks. Makes your MP3 player sound great, too, and they have replaceable cords if they get damaged. (I thought I had to replace mine recently but it turned out the connection had just wiggled loose. Oops.)

I've never taken the Galaxy earbuds out of their package. I bought a set of Shure SLC2's.

• Members

that is one of many right choices. i have been playing at church with my etymotic ER6 earphones. i have them coupled to some westone custom molds that also double as earplugs (with attenuators) when i'm playing with my band (no IEMs).

that is a large part of why i chose the ER6 (besides that i could afford them easily) -- i knew they'd fit in custom molds when that time came. now that it has come, i couldn't be happier about both the sound of the earplugs and the improved sound of the ER6.

robb.

• Members

I think I may have asked this before in one of my other threads but not sure if I got an experienced answer.

I tend to be able to hear everyone on stage pretty well. While I could turn my amp up on stage, is it advisable to just run the transmitter on stage (as opposed to FOH) with a signal to my IEM such that I'd hear ambient stage volume for the band and my bass only in the IEM?

• Members

So you're getting enough bleed through such that you can hear everything on stage?

I don't know that I am or am not. I couldn't try this idea out at the gig on Sunday. This may sound stupid, but what do you think about me running some tunes through the PA in my basement at levels that approximate our stage volume and then feed a pure bass only signal to my IEM's and see what happens? I mean it can't hurt but is there anything "wrong" with this setup.

• Members

There's nothing wrong with that, but any decent earbuds will drop the outside noise level by 12 dB which would make what you want to try impossible.

Impossible as in I can't hear the instruments and singing? I should be able to hear everything, just at a lower volume. I don't need to blast my ears with bass either.

I may try it later today or tomorrow for fun.

• Members

Impossible as in I can't hear the instruments and singing? I should be able to hear everything, just at a lower volume. I don't need to blast my ears with bass either.

I may try it later today or tomorrow for fun.

It's worth a try, but in my experience, I can't hear {censored} unless it's being piped through the IEM. My buds drop the ambient level 16 dB. I'm not sure what the drop on your earbuds is, but I'd imagine that it's in the same ballpark.

Seriously, I can barely hear the snare drum unless it is being picked up by a mic somewhere on stage.

• Members
It's worth a try, but in my experience, I can't hear {censored} unless it's being piped through the IEM. My buds drop the ambient level 16 dB. I'm not sure what the drop on your earbuds is, but I'd imagine that it's in the same ballpark.

Seriously, I can barely hear the snare drum unless it is being picked up by a mic somewhere on stage.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. With my molded pieces, it's not easy to hear much on stage when they're stuck way in there.
But this is a good thing. :)

Archived