OT: The Inevitable Gustav Thread

Phantasm

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I heard on the local news last night that all Lowes and Home Depot's are already sold out of generators and almost out of plywood. The discount gas stations had cars 4 deep last night on my way to a softball game. The storm is still 4-5 days away. We live 3 hours north of the gulf coast and people are already panicking!! :eek:

• Members

Well, they're thinking if they close the dome, it'll encourage the locals to evacuate. IMO I don't think anyone would want to go back there.

Well, it wasn't an evacuation center last time. When I was driving out of town on Saturday for Katrina, stuck in traffic, the Mayor was on the radio and every 5 minutes they played a tape of him saying that the superdome wasn't prepared to be an evacuation center.

The problem is, people didn't listen. MOST people listened, but if 30,000/500,000 people don't, that still looks like a lot of people on the news!

• Moderators
I heard on the local news last night that all Lowes and Home Depot's are already sold out of generators and almost out of plywood. The discount gas stations had cars 4 deep last night on my way to a softball game. The storm is still 4-5 days away. We live 3 hours north of the gulf coast and people are already panicking!!
:eek:

Panicking, or preparing?

• Members
8:00 pm Saturday 8/30...Gustav looks like a Cat 4 and likely to go Cat 5 in mid-Gulf.

This is horrible.

:cry:

Just read that. Looks like it could be another bumpy ride. If a positive can be taken from this, I've heard from multiple new sources that just about every federal and local agency will be much better prepared than they were with Katrina.

• Members

well, I am evacuated yet again. Our parish president told me on the radio during the drive that my immediate levees are not ready and we are in danger.

I got all the basses except for the bongo. The cats are pissed. We are in small dorm rooms at LSU.

• Members

already.

OK.
I lived in NOLA from 1960~1989.
Daughter and her husband got here this morning as they just moved from Baton Rouge to south of Lafayette(BAD place to be right now). Wife's family lives north of New Orleans in Covington. My sister lives in Metairie(flooded 3 times in 20 years!) which is a suburb of New Orleans and rebuilt after Katrina, the other sister lives in Pensacola and is barely over Ivan, and my brother lives in Houston.

We're making reservations in north San Antonio tonight just in case as Rita was a PIA(missed us but was expensive evac-wise).

No matter where this goes it ain't gonna be good.

Let me lighten this up a bit. Here are pics from the Rita evac.
Everybody's on the road again:
PackedSmallTown.jpg

Contraflow RULES!!! They should do this at rush hours!!
ContraFlow.jpg

Reason # 1 to bring your PC if you evac.
(note the LIVE traffic on I-10 being shown on the TV to the left):
Pit_N_Evac.jpg

How to finally figure out which basses you like....the ones you take!
BassWall.jpg

PS: If I lived anywhere from Beaumont to Pensacola, I'd be evac'ing or SERIOUSLY packing the car/van. We'll NEVER, EVER complain again about a 33 gallon gas tank on my wife's van. Drove about 155 miles and it took 13 hours but the van only used half a tank of fuel(10 mpg average due to traffic and running the A/C) and note we averaged about 11 miles per hour!

• Members

well, I am evacuated yet again. Our parish president told me on the radio during the drive that my immediate levees are not ready and we are in danger.

I got all the basses except for the bongo. The cats are pissed. We are in small dorm rooms at LSU.

Which Parish? St. Bernard? Jefferson?

• Members
I've spent some time recently in Jefferson Parish.

I attended a meeting that President Broussard was at.

Again I say, "this sucks".

:cry:

You should have told me! We could have had a drink.

In fact, I've already secured some Captain Morgan's for my coke to kill the pain.

I think I'm accepting the fact that it's very likely that after this week, for the second time in 3 years I will be homeless.

• Members

You should have told me! We could have had a drink.

In fact, I've already secured some Captain Morgan's for my coke to kill the pain.

I think I'm accepting the fact that it's very likely that after this week, for the second time in 3 years I will be homeless.

I've visited New Orleans 6 or 7 times over the past year and have just started getting comfortable there.

At first I stayed in Metairie, then later in the French Quarter.

I found a 'locals' restaurant called Alfonso's across from Snug Harbor on Frenchman St. that I love.

Let's hope for good things and I'll buy you a drink soon!

• Members

Good luck to Phantasm and everyone else in harm's way. We in NE Florida got really lucky with Fay (and have been for many years since Dora). If Fay had been as powerful as Gustav, it would have been a much different story for us recently. Stay safe.

Archived