OT: The Inevitable Gustav Thread

Phantasm

• Members

Well, I've got to say that I don't like being right in the middle of the Cone of DOOM.

at200807_5day.gif

Looks like my 5-year plan is in danger! I've already begun packing my 5x8 trailer with items for the next phase of life as work will probably force me to evacuate by week's end.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just make sure that your evac-mobile can hold all of those basses.

;)

Hope that things don't get too hairy down there.

Man, I am worried about that! I have begun to prioritize. Some will come with me, and some will go with friends that have offered to grab one. The rest will go upstairs and I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Growing up, there were many hurricanes like this that hit and there was never any flooding. Katrina was the only one that the levees failed. I'm hoping for another 60-70 years of no levee failure, but they still haven't really fixed the levees from the last storm... that's why I'm concerned.

Katrina hit on a Sunday night. It was over Monday. My house flooded on TUESDAY due to levees/drainage/pumping problems. It was a man-made problem that could have been avoided with better local government planning.

• Members

Man, I am worried about that! I have begun to prioritize. Some will come with me, and some will go with friends that have offered to grab one. The rest will go upstairs and I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best.

You can ship some to me. I'm too far inland and too loving to let anything happen to them. :D

• Members

You can ship some to me. I'm too far inland and too loving to let anything happen to them.
:D

I have considered shipping them to people, actually! At about $35 each it could get pricey, but so is buying new basses. I'll wait to see what level of danger it appears I'll be in.

• Members

Well, I've got to say that I don't like being right in the middle of the Cone of DOOM.

From my observations, being in the exact middle of the Cone OF Doom has turned out to almost guarantee you won't get hit! :thu:

• Members

From my observations, being in the exact middle of the Cone OF Doom has turned out to almost guarantee you won't get hit!
:thu:

I will use the Lug theory of Hurricanes and Natural Disasters (LTHND) and the power of positive thinking to make this situation better!!!

• Members

Be careful of making decisions to evacuate because of fear.

The news media loves to scare us.

They used the word "monster storm" several times this morning on the news.

I can say the chance of me evacuating is slim and none, and slim is outta town.

The problem I have is that I am forced to evacuate for my job. That means I have to often make very dramatic decisions so early that they may seem silly in hindsight! I predict I will be ordered to evacuate by Friday.

• Members

Be careful of making decisions to evacuate because of fear.

The news media loves to scare us.

They used the word "monster storm" several times this morning on the news.

I can say the chance of me evacuating is slim and none, and slim is outta town.

+1 No one ever increased their rating by claiming the weather wasn't going to be bad! :D

• Moderators

Growing up, there were many hurricanes like this that hit and there was never any flooding. Katrina was the only one that the levees failed. I'm hoping for another 60-70 years of no levee failure, but they still haven't really fixed the levees from the last storm... that's why I'm concerned.

Katrina hit on a Sunday night. It was over Monday. My house flooded on TUESDAY due to levees/drainage/pumping problems. It was a man-made problem that could have been avoided with better local government planning.

Government planning and spending. Lots of pressure to cut costs.

• Members

My yard is already under water from the rain over the last 4 days from the remnants of Fay and now I am going to get Gustav... My daughter was on the back porch / cement pond with the dogs a couple of nights ago and a water moccasin swam up under my BBQ grill right next to her. It disappeared by the time I got a shovel after it. Even if it it does not make hurricane strength once it hits warm gulf water, I will still get several inchs of rain from Gustav... :confused: And Phantasm, I am only 3 hours up the road if you want me to test... I mean store some basses for you!!! :D

• Members

we were in the bullseye of rita...........18 days ...no power....100 F heat...

hope me ...nor no one else has to go thru that again......best wishes to anyone in that "zone...cone of uncertainity".........:confused::facepalm: pleez..everyone stay safe.........evacuate if possible....I rode out Rita....never again will I do that...:mad:

• Members

Looks like the George Bush racist weather control machine is hard at work again.

Lets see how many ignorant people stick around again only to say it's not their fault.

If everyone doesn't mind, let's not let this disintegrate into a political discussion. That was not my intention at all.

Archived