OT: The Inevitable Gustav Thread

Phantasm

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think I'm accepting the fact that it's very likely that after this week, for the second time in 3 years I will be homeless.

My younger sister evac'd to Houston and is probably doing the same thing. Hers may be the 4th time. She told my older sister last night "If we flood again, we're done. I am NOT going back."

Evac'd daughter & her husband from south of Lafayette are watching movies and sports channels here to avoid thinking about their place. A bit tense to say the least.

• Members

I think I'm accepting the fact that it's very likely that after this week, for the second time in 3 years I will be homeless.

Man, being here in Houston, I feel for you and all you folks who are displaced by this storm.

I'm glad it isnt headed here, but feel bad for you guys.

I saw huge amounts of folks at the stops here along I-10 today. I really hope that you guys can find a silver lining to this crap.

• Members

As of 10:02am, if you go to www.wwltv.com and stream the video using the link at the top, you can watch some footage of water overtopping the industrial canal levee. The floodwall hasn't broken but the water is going over in waves.

As of this point in time, my floodwall (on the other side of the river at the harvey canal) is still okay. Let's hope that doesn't change...

• Members

Things in LA continue to be rough, but not tragic, for the most part.

Coastal areas like Lafitte and Grand Banks had flooding, but most of the issues center around downed trees and power outages.

While this seems benign enough, damage from fallen trees created havoc for weeks in Central Florida during the storms of 2004.

13 of 14 main power lines serving Baton Rouge and NOLA are still down, and nearly 800,000 people still do not have power in southern LA.

It looks like will be next week before things get back on line in most areas.

Archived