OT: The Inevitable Gustav Thread

Phantasm

• Moderators

If everyone doesn't mind, let's not let this disintegrate into a political discussion. That was not my intention at all.

Besides, Kanye West was wrong. It's not that Dubya doesn't care about black people. Look at Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice for evidence.

Dubya just doesn't care about poor people.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Katrina skirted New Orleans and hit a low population area of Mississippi. That's where evil FEMA was heading when the New Orleans levey broke.

Low population area? Maybe compared to New Orleans, but roughy 300,000 people live in south MS.

You make it sound like Fema should have turned around and headed for New Orleans. Well they weren't here either, and we needed aid more than they did.

• Members
Low population area? Maybe compared to New Orleans, but roughy 300,000 people live in south MS.

You make it sound like Fema should have turned around and headed for New Orleans. Well they weren't here either, and we needed aid more than they did.

Well, the BIG picture is that FEMA isn't a first responder anyway. The closest they have to first response capability is coordinating with the Red Cross who, incedently, were never even allowed into New Orleans even weeks after the disaster.

:)

• Moderators
111213W_sm.gif

If I remember my meteorology correctly, this is actually worse for NOLA than a direct hit would be. Because storms rotate counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise, for those who prefer), the east side of the storm carries the most rain.

• Members
Well, the BIG picture is that FEMA isn't a first responder anyway. The closest they have to first response capability is coordinating with the Red Cross who, incedently, were never even
allowed
into New Orleans even weeks after the disaster.

There was no "first response" of any kind here in Biloxi. And admittedly, it's not easy for anyone to get into areas completely destroyed for miles.

I guess N.O. had their own reasons for not allowing the Red Cross, or maybe the Red Cross was afraid to go in there. :idk:

• Members

In the last hour I received an email about Red Cross starting to recruit volunteers and one from the USCG Auxiliary telling us to be prepared for callout if we are needed... So a lot of groups are trying to get a jump on Gustav and not risk being reactive this time...

• Members

If I remember my meteorology correctly, this is actually worse for NOLA than a direct hit would be. Because storms rotate counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise, for those who prefer), the east side of the storm carries the most rain.

You're correct with one exception; you're talking about New Orleans. Katrina hit east of N.O. and look what happened, a hurricane from any direction is bad news there.

• Members
There was no "first response" of any kind here in Biloxi. And admittedly, it's not easy for anyone to get into areas completely destroyed for miles.

I guess N.O. had their own reasons for not allowing the Red Cross, or maybe the Red Cross was afraid to go in there.
:idk:

Local officials feared that if the RC went in, people wouldn't leave. So they sweltered in the SuperDome while the RC was just outside with trucks of water and supplies. It was on the top of Red Cross's web site for months. they were highly pissed.

• Members
Local officials feared that if the RC went in, people wouldn't leave. So they sweltered in the SuperDome while the RC was just outside with trucks of water and supplies. It was on the top of Red Cross's web site for months. they were
highly
pissed.

No Superdome this time. :cop:

• Moderators

You're correct with one exception; you're talking about New Orleans. Katrina hit
east
of N.O. and look what happened, a hurricane from any direction is bad news there.

Bad news, certainly. As has been said, NOLA hasn't even properly recovered from Katrina. I was just opining that a landfall slightly west of NOLA would be worse than a direct hit. I agree, it could be very bad, regardless.

• Members
I'm in NOLA, too. My wife and I have been prepared since the day we moved down here a year ago. We've got backpacks loaded with supplies, two extra 5 gallong containers of gasoline, and an exit strategy. The only real question is when do we split?
:confused:

Well, if you have family out of state and want to visit them for the Labor Day weekend, go now and beat the traffic. Otherwise, do what the locals do: stay until it's pretty sure it will hit here and then leave after the mad rush so there's no traffic.

My prediction is that Saturday will be the "big traffic" day with the easy way out late Sunday night or early Monday.

• Members

Im working at the fire station through the weekend and storm. Im pretty sure we will be called in to work double or possibly triple staff. I worked during Katrina, Rita and Andrew, these are not fun times and very stressful. Please stay safe everyone, keep a cool head, be prepared AHEAD of time, get your supplies NOW(if you havent yet) and if you live in a very high risk area, please if you have the ability or place to go, find a safer place. Dont try to ride it out, that is a mistake too many have done before and should not attempt again.:eek:

Archived