The Most Annoying Song Ever?

gruvjack

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Travelling back from a gig tonight, the singer, who was giving me a lift, managed to find a station playing "Winds of Change" (Scorpions??).
I think I really meant it when I said "I'll grab the wheel and put us in a hedge if you don't turn that {censored} off."

• Members

:confused:

Yes. Autumn Leaves.

I takes a musician through almost every mode and every other music theory weirdness you're likely to encounter. Moreover, it's a corny-ass ballad that somehow ended up as a jazz standard.

This is one discussion that's never been had in my jazz courses: how did show tunes and ballads like Autumn Leaves and All the Things You Are, end up comprising much of the genre that we call jazz? And then when I go to see those instructors play jazz, they aren't playing that s#!t in their shows. One of my instructors jazzified a Tom Waits tune in one of her shows. What a friggin' witch!! Certainly deserving of the broom she rides to school.

Autumn Leaves doesn't bother me as a song, it's just got so much attached to it personally that I don't even want to hear that damned song if I'm on hold.

Some people try the "crawl before you can walk" or "understand the history" arguments. Baloney!

People who want to play RHCP tunes or cop the RHCP style for an original band aren't taken back through Willie Dixon, Elvis, Muddy Waters, James Brown, Funkadelic, and Brothers Johnson.

Jazz is this bizarro world, and songs like Autumn Leaves and All The Things You Are annoy me almost as bad as photos of GW Bush.

Archived