Roadrunner Records picks the top 50 Metal Frontmen of all time

Renfield

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with the #1 pick though - Robert Plant pretty much created the role of "frontman" in rock and roll - at least as we know it today.

Plant doesn't have a tenth of the energy, talent, showmanship, vocal skill that is just never ending, or anything else that Bruce Dickenson does. If the list is about skill and showmanship, Plant isn't even in the same league and never was. Can Plant even fly the tour 757 to gigs? Hell no, it take a real frontman to do that.;)

• Members

Plant doesn't have a tenth of the energy, talent, showmanship, vocal skill that is just never ending, or anything else that Bruce Dickenson does. If the list is about skill and showmanship, Plant isn't even in the same league and never was. Can Plant even fly the tour 757 to gigs? Hell no, it take a real frontman to do that.
;)

Robert Plant in his prime INVENTED the role of rock and roll frontman.

Well, maybe Mick Jagger is right up there too.

That's not taking anything away from Bruce though, but Plant set the stage for all to follow: Ian Gillan, Coverdale, and even Ronnie Dio owe a huge debt to Robert Plant.

And since Bruce owes a debt to Gillan, Coverdale and Dio, clearly Plant belongs at the top of the list.

• Members

Plant isn't metal but in his prime he was one of rock's greatest frontmen. Same applies to Aerosmith's Tyler, Deep Purple's Gillian and the Who's Daltrey. Heck even Mick Jagger belongs on the list over some of those!

My personal favorite's for rock-metal singers are Ozzie, John Lawton of Lucifer's Friend (number one) and Geoff Tate of Queensryche. I like metal singers who sing as well as scream.

Sorry but Bruce Dickenson doesn't compare. His voice, while being strong, lacks any distinct character which sets him apart. Iron Maiden is one of the best bands who bore me to tears.

• Members

Robert Plant in his prime INVENTED the role of rock and roll frontman.

There's a long line ahead of him bro. Ever heard of a guy named Elvis?

Besides, a list about 'greatness' is not a list about history. Bruce is untouchable as a frontman, and hearing him STILL be able to sing and perform equal to his OWN prime puts him head and shoulders above anyone.

• Members

There's a long line ahead of him bro. Ever heard of a guy named Elvis?

Sure I have - he's an island unto himself.

The things he did defy imitation, because he was just....Elvis.

Plant brought moves to the stage that were copped by everybody that followed, and Zep brought their show to the masses like no other band before, pioneering arena rock and playing to at the time record breaking, huge audiences.

Bruce is okay, I've seen Maiden back in the day - good show.

Ronnie Dio is a more engaging frontman than Dickinson ever was, and more innovative besides.

• Members

13... (how ironic
:D
)..... it took THIRTEEN posts for someone to point out that
a good chunk of the list is made up from guitarists who do not sing

Shame on you all.
:lol:

i would have to at least agree somewhat with SS - what defines "frontman" in a band context? does it HAVE to be the singer? or is it the most recognizable "face" of the band?

my own inclination is to think it's the most recognizable face of the band, be it the singer or someone else.

YMMV.

• Members

You guys apparently didn't read anything but the list. In the lead-in to the list, they explain that RoadRunner artists (like Mustaine) were purposefully left off the list AND the list includes anyone who embodies the position of frontman, not just singers, but guitarists and bassists, too.

That said, I agree with the Led Zep gripes. Not a metal band. I also have to wonder if they would have put Chad Kroeger somewhere on the list if they had included RoadRunner artists. That would have won them some un-wanted press...

• Members

Wasn't the term "heavy metal" taken from the people's impression of Jimmy Page's tone?

Supposedly it was Hendrix's tone, but there's no articles from the time saying that.

As for Zeppelin, yeah, they were one of the two bands (Sabbath being the other) that Lester Bangs always called "Heavy Metal" in the 1970s.

Zeppelin may not be what people now think of as "Metal", but they and Sabbath are the two bands that actually defined the genre originally.

• Members

Kerry King?

Scott Ian?

Angus Young?

Seriously?

Serj is top 20 while Rob Zombie is 25? Rob Zombie is easily top 10. That dude has so much energy and put so much into his live show... One of the best I've ever seen live.

No Max Cavalera? Disgraceful.

[edit]

NM, just saw no Roadrunner bands, so no Max. Funny though, when I saw Rob Zombie he opened for Iron Maiden. Granted it was like 5 so years ago and Maiden is way past their prime, but Zombie blew Maiden away.

• Members

Supposedly it was Hendrix's tone, but there's no articles from the time saying that.

As for Zeppelin, yeah, they were one of the two bands (Sabbath being the other) that Lester Bangs always called "Heavy Metal" in the 1970s.

Zeppelin may not be what people now think of as "Metal", but they and Sabbath are the two bands that actually defined the genre originally.

FWIW I have seen numerous references to the term originating in Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild." I believe John Kay himself was even one of those that made mention as to how he coined the phrase... it was a motorcycle reference obviously.

Archived