Roadrunner Records picks the top 50 Metal Frontmen of all time

Renfield

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FWIW I have seen numerous references to the term originating in Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild." I believe John Kay himself was even one of those that made mention as to how he coined the phrase... it was a motorcycle reference obviously.

As far as I know, that's the first reference as well.

Rolling Stone actually used it before Lester Bangs and Creem, but they generally used it as an insulting term, to put down bands they thought were lacking in musical skill. Bangs is the first one to use it extensively it as a positive and as a "genre" term.

• Members

FWIW I have seen numerous references to the term originating in Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild." I believe John Kay himself was even one of those that made mention as to how he coined the phrase... it was a motorcycle reference obviously.

I do believe that is correct Mr. Renfield! The term in the day was "Hard Rock",and the difference in hard,and regular rock was the guitar,and aggression,and band attitude as well. A wonderful time to be alive it was,as bands were free of what later became the "corperate" sound.

• Members

I do believe that is correct Mr. Renfield! The term in the day was "Hard Rock",and the difference in hard,and regular rock was the guitar,and aggression,and band attitude as well. A wonderful time to be alive it was,as bands were free of what later became the "corperate" sound.

I wouldn't know. I didn't come along until the early-mid 70's. I do have an SG hanging on a hangar about 5 feet to my left though that is autographed by John Kay and Peter Fonda, from when JK was inducted into the Canadian Rock HoF. :thu:

Archived