Watchmen

Derek5272

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'll be seeing it on Friday ... in IMAX ... on 'shrooms. How can it possibly not be awesome?

same. well minus the shroomage, I'll probably be drunk though :thu:

I just started reading the graphic novel when we were on the road last saturday, and I was accused of being anti-social, but damn, what a good read! only 4 chapters left.

best comic i've ever read, hands down!

• Members
best comic i've ever read, hands down!

It is. I meant that I don't want people either telling me it blows or that it was the greatest thing ever, immediately followed by the accuracy police explaining in great detail how they had the change {censored} to make it fit in 2 hours and :blah:.

In other words I won't be opening any spolier alert threads until I can see it a week today most likely/hopefully.

• Members
It is. I meant that I don't want people either telling me it blows or that it was the greatest thing ever, immediately followed by the accuracy police explaining in great detail how they had the change {censored} to make it fit in 2 hours and
:blah:

In other words I won't be opening any spolier alert threads until I can see it a week today most likely/hopefully.

It's almost 3 hours.

Oh and I heard they changed the ending big time to make room for a franchise of sequels. Heard the second movie will be called "Watchmens" and the third will be "Watchmen

• Members

I guess I'm the only one who's really NOT excited to see it. Every preview I've seen makes it look like crap. Watchmen is NOT an action movie. It's a drama involving Superheroes, many who are struggling with their identities and middle age.

Look at the previews. It looks like 300. That was an entertaining movie, but the source material required NO character development, just a bunch of naked dudes and badass fight scenes. Watchmen needs a LOT more depth than the script and the director (same guy as 300, that's why I bring it up) will allow.

Watchmen really is one of my favorite comics (I'm a dork, I read a lot of 'em) and seeing the previews for this have me absolutely incensed. The only way I could see it translating properly to moving image is with an HBO miniseries.

I'll see it, but I sure as hell am not going to put a dime in the studio's pockets. I'm sure someone I know will own the DVD one day, so I'll watch it then and make fun of them for wasting their money.

• Members
Watchmen really is one of my favorite comics (I'm a dork, I read a lot of 'em) and seeing the previews for this have me absolutely incensed.
The only way I could see it translating properly to moving image is with an HBO miniseries.

This has been my take all along, IIRC I was the first to leak still images from the movie over a year ago, and I said exactly this then. I loathed the idea, I refused to watch a preview, I still haven't seen one full one. But I find myself compelled to watch it all the same, not unlike a car crash. Mostly I want to see it because I know it will blow donkey nuts and I will feel some vindication for it. Even though that will mean I had to buy a ticket to get in. :facepalm:

Maybe I'll buy a ticket for a different movie and just sit in that theater instead. :idea:

Friday the XIII got my money for opening weekend, but I couldn't get in the theater as they over sold it, so saw Slumdog Millionaire instead, I say it's only fair. :lol:

• Members
If they split the story into 3 and intentionally made a trilogy from it I'd almost be relieved, it might get a fair treatment then.

From what I've read, the movie clocks in at just under 3 hours, and the directors cut will be longer. That would be a GOOD thing if it was a different director. Judging from the trailer (which you should watch just for a frame of reference :p ) and Zach Snyder, there's will be loads of unnecessary slowmo during the action scenes. I guess that's one way to extend the time on a movie.

• Members
From what I've read, the movie clocks in at just under 3 hours, and the directors cut will be longer. That would be a GOOD thing if it was a different director. Judging from the trailer (which you should watch just for a frame of reference
:p
) and Zach Snyder, there's will be loads of unnecessary slowmo during the action scenes. I guess that's one way to extend the time on a movie.

The trailers have been criticized for having way too much slo-mo in it. Im not sure if its the way the trailers were edited or if the entire movie will be like that. I know 300 had alot of slo-mo :rolleyes:

• Members
The trailers have been criticized for having way too much slo-mo in it. Im not sure if its the way the trailers were edited or if the entire movie will be like that. I know 300 had alot of slo-mo
:rolleyes:

Ummmmm I'm going off your eye rolls as sarcasm, but 300 had retarded amounts of slowmo. It worked in that context, but still.

Slowmo IMO should be used to enhance action. Watchmen is NOT an action comic book. Rawr.

• Members
Ummmmm I'm going off your eye rolls as sarcasm, but 300 had retarded amounts of slowmo. It worked in that context, but still.

Slowmo IMO should be used to enhance action. Watchmen is NOT an action comic book. Rawr.

So did The Matrix, but it still kicked ass (Pt. 1, anyhow).

Deal with it, mufukkas!! :cop::cop:

• Members
So did The Matrix, but it still kicked ass (Pt. 1, anyhow).

Deal with it, mufukkas!!
:cop:
:cop:

Yeah, and I agree with its use in those contexts. Watchmen isn't the Matrix or 300. Some movies call for "YOOOOO SLOMO MAKES EVERYTHING COOL" (a la Dave Chapelle). Sometimes, it's used to distract the viewer from the lack of a plot. that's the case with 300. In The Matrix, it works because we (the audience is going into Keanu (THE ONE)'s head, and he has the ability to see everything from a different perspective. I don't think there are many instance of slomo there in "the real world" (IE the post apocalyptic wasteland).

I'll say it again. Watchmen isn't about the action. It's about the complex character interaction. Snyder's gonna bring too much attention to the action sequences and take away from the important parts of the story.

• Members
Yeah, and I agree with its use in those contexts. Watchmen isn't the Matrix or 300. Some movies call for "YOOOOO SLOMO MAKES EVERYTHING COOL" (a la Dave Chapelle). Sometimes, it's used to distract the viewer from the lack of a plot. that's the case with 300. In The Matrix, it works because we (the audience is going into Keanu (THE ONE)'s head, and he has the ability to see everything from a different perspective. I don't think there are many instance of slomo there in "the real world" (IE the post apocalyptic wasteland).

I'll say it again. Watchmen isn't about the action. It's about the complex character interaction. Snyder's gonna bring too much attention to the action sequences and take away from the important parts of the story.

I don't think it was overdone in "300" at all. What "The Matrix" did for high visualization, intense sequences, "300" did the same for a more current look/feel. I can watch it over and over and those parts don't bother me at all. It's still almost as badass as it was in the theater, all 5 times I saw it. :)

I don't know enough about "Watchmen"'s backstory to not enjoy the movie, sorry. :(

• Members
I don't know enough about "Watchmen"'s backstory to not enjoy the movie, sorry.
:(

No worries... I'm posting on this while working on a film paper, so I'm feeling a bit argumentative. The film may be fine as a stand alone piece, but I doubt it'll be able to capture the magic of the original work. It's disappointing to me because I'm such a fan, and I think it would be quite doable with the right director/length of run time.

And for 300 and the Matrix... I'm a bit of a pretentious ass when it comes to films :cry: I still consider the Matrix to be one of the best action movies in the past 10 years. The slomo works in that context. 300... yeah... it's like fast food. No real redeeming quality, but damned if it doesn't taste good.

• Members

The main thing I am worried about is it's by the director of "300"...which was really REALLY an over-rated movie. I mean, it was probably the best obviously-shot-in-front-of-a-green-screen movie ever....but is that really saying much?

The best thing "300" gave us was all the internet meme's. :D

• Members
The main thing I am worried about is it's by the director of "300"...which was really REALLY an over-rated movie. I mean, it was probably the best obviously-shot-in-front-of-a-green-screen movie ever....but is that really saying much?

Yes.

Ass.

:p

Archived