Watchmen

Derek5272

• Moderators

I read somewhere that the 5 hour DVD version will have the mini-story interweaved with the director's cut of the movie just like in the novel. I haven't read the novel or anything though.

Is the graphic novel one book or would I have to try and find them all like my Fabulous Furry Freak Bros. collection?

I have it in one volume, hardcover.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I picked it up last weekend as a soft-cover full version. I think it was like $18 bucks or something. I'm like on chapter 4 still. If this were a regular novel I would have finished it already, but I like looking at the pretty pictures!
:D

The first time I read it I was too absorbed in the storyline and finished it in 2 nights. Reading it again right now so it's fresh in my mind when I go to the movie, and I'm taking my time, paying more attention to the pictures, and little things like the pirate comic as a juxtaposition (wow, don't think I've ever used that word before. I hope I used it right :-/) of the main story, and their decision to place dialogue from one story over a panel from another. MUCH more enjoyable :)

• Moderators
The first time I read it I was too absorbed in the storyline and finished it in 2 nights. Reading it again right now so it's fresh in my mind when I go to the movie, and I'm taking my time, paying more attention to the pictures, and little things like the pirate comic as a juxtaposition (wow, don't think I've ever used that word before. I hope I used it right :-/) of the main story, and their decision to place dialogue from one story over a panel from another. MUCH more enjoyable
:)

I avoid reading a book before seeing the movie version. In my experience, the movie always suffers by such a direct comparison.

I'll go back to the graphic novel after I see the movie.

• Members

Well I just back from seeing it. I think the only people that will really enjoy this film are hardcore comic book fans. The movie was done well, the acting was good, the special effects were good, directing was good, but it was simply painful to watch. It's very slow and it lumbers along for 3 hours with sporadic bits of meat which barely hold it together.

The only bright side is Rorschach. I've seen the actor that plays him before in small bit parts but he's a monster in this movie. His portrayal overshadows every other character in the movie. And wouldn't you know it, every good scene in the movie involves Rorschach:D

Anyway, I'm not a comic book guy, I did a little reading on the story ahead of time so I wasn't lost on the premise but I don't think it will sit well with most people. If I had to guess I'd say that it will probably have a big opening weekend and possibly a follow up and then fizzle out.

Dan

• Members

Well, the comic was "slow" too, in that it didn't really rely on action to push the story along. It was very much character driven. So I expect the movie to be a little slow, compared to the standard comic-based movie.

• Members

Well, the comic was "slow" too, in that it didn't really rely on action to push the story along. It was very much character driven. So I expect the movie to be a little slow, compared to the standard comic-based movie.

It's slow for any movie, not just comic book movies. I knew going in it was character driven and I think the only character it really gets through to the audience is Rorschach honestly.

Dan

• Members

It's a film noir. Slow by nature, all about building up tension.

Not to be confused with action movies for hyperactive teenagers, the ones who aren't allowed in anyway.

Well it fails on building tension as well. Maybe it isn't as well done as I thought:D

• Members

Personally, I found it a good film, though it wasn't "an experience" (which is fine).

They did a good job with the characters and the visuals, and the storyline and transitions were about as smooth as they likely could have been.

In general, I liked Snyder's usage of slow-mo (something discussed earlier), there was one scene where it seemed gratuitous, but in general, it felt almost as if the slow motion was a capture of a comic frame, which felt "right" (and was likely what they were going for).

As a final note, the film did nothing to diminish my fondness for latex/vinyl clothing and footwear...:love:

• Members
Personally, I found it a good film, though it wasn't "an experience" (which is fine).

They did a good job with the characters and the visuals, and the storyline and transitions were about as smooth as they likely could have been.

In general, I liked Snyder's usage of slow-mo (something discussed earlier), there was one scene where it seemed gratuitous, but in general, it felt almost as if the slow motion was a capture of a comic frame, which felt "right" (and was likely what they were going for).

As a final note, the film did nothing to diminish my fondness for latex/vinyl clothing and footwear...
:love:

Yeah I thought the movie itself was well done.

• Members
As a final note, the film did nothing to diminish my fondness for latex/vinyl clothing and footwear...
:love:

I'll be going tomorrow afternoon. I don't need a movie to remind me of my fondness for such things, but the reminds are always golden.

• Members

It's a film noir. Slow by nature, all about building up tension.

Not to be confused with action movies for
hyperactive teenagers, the ones who aren't allowed in anyway.

That's what you'd think. I'd say at least half the theater last night was 16 and under.

And, I thought it was pretty good. Not GREAT, but I'm hoping that they'll expand on a lot of the stuff in a Director's Cut that couldn't make it for time reasons, and that should make it even better. I'm not too sure if I like how they changed the ending, though it does still work.

Archived