Watchmen

Derek5272

• Moderators

The trailers have been criticized for having way too much slo-mo in it. Im not sure if its the way the trailers were edited or if the entire movie will be like that. I know 300 had alot of slo-mo
:rolleyes:

My wife takes a long time to get out of bed. Often, as she slooooowly rolls over, she says, "I'm moving sooo fast, it looks like slow motion..."

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I don't know enough about "Watchmen"'s backstory to not enjoy the movie, sorry.
:(

That'ts why I'm making a point of not rereading it before I see the flick. I haven't read it in probably fifteen years, so I'll have forgotten a lot. I'll reread after I see the movie.

• Members

The trailers have been criticized for having way too much slo-mo in it. Im not sure if its the way the trailers were edited or if the entire movie will be like that.

The early reviews I've read have both mentioned people who watched the previews and are expecting an action movie are going to be disappointed by the fact it's plot and character driven.

Which is, of course, what fans of the comic want... :D

(and before anyone tries to geek card me, it was published first as a comic series, not a novel, so stick it :p)

• Members

(and before anyone tries to geek card me, it was published first as a comic series, not a novel, so stick it
:p
)

Still own the original first print I bought when it hit news stands as a 12 part mini series. :wave:

*puts geek card away*

• Members

The early reviews I've read have both mentioned people who watched the previews and are expecting an action movie are going to be disappointed by the fact it's plot and character driven.

Eeeeee... just read a review that says it's too close to the comic for comfort:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film-reviews/film-review-watchmen-1003945726.story

:eek::facepalm::p:cry:

I guess that's a good thing from my perspective?

• Members

the "Cream of the Crop" are panning it.

All five of them? :p

David Edelstein at New York Magazine

Devin Gordon at Newsweek

Kirk Honeycutt at Hollywood Reporter

Anthony Lane at the New Yorker

Justin Chang at Variety

Which one of them do you figure is the really big Watchmen fan? :D

Gordon ended his review with a paragraph on how having Doc's wang visible was emblematic of how Snyder just doesn't "get it" when it comes to adapting the film. (cp. the first page of this thread)

Edelstein says the film is too faithful to the source material.

Honeycutt criticizes the source material more than the film (though I wonder how much he recognizes that).

And Lane also clearly doesn't like the source material to begin with, opening his review by saying "The world of the graphic novel is a curious one. For every masterwork, such as

• Members

Eeeeee... just read a review that says it's too close to the comic for comfort:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film-reviews/film-review-watchmen-1003945726.story

:eek::facepalm::p
:cry:

I guess that's a good thing from my perspective?

Yeah, as I was just posting, of the five negative 'Top Critics' on RT, four of them say some variation on that. It's too faithful to the original material...

• Members

Yeah, as I was just posting, of the five negative 'Top Critics' on RT, four of them say some variation on that. It's
too
faithful to the original material...

It was at 96% fresh a few days ago. I doubt it'll dip into rotten, but it's probably going to end up around 65%.

The New Yorker Review is brutal to the movie and the source material. Seriously, damn.

I'm in the awkward position of being a comic nerd and a film professional, so I don't think it'll be possible for me to like the movie, no matter how good it is. But damn it I'm having fun bitching :D

• Members

The New Yorker Review is brutal to the movie and the source material. Seriously, damn.

Other films the New Yorker has given a negative review:

Dark Knight (Edelstein also panned it)

Batman Begins

Babel

Slumdog Millionaire

Assassination of Jesse James

Downfall

Eastern Promises

Iron Man

Kill Bill

Letters from Iwo Jima

No Country for Old Men

Persepolis

Platoon (seriously, it's on RT)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (again, seriously..it's got a {censored}ing 67% from the 'top critics')

Sin City

V for Vendetta (another Moore source)

Volver

But hey, they liked Crash...:facepalm:

• Members

Or until its streaming on netflix. Or until someone I know buys the DVD and I can borrow it and make fun of them. Just as long as I don't put money in Zach Snyder's pockets, I'll be happy.

If you really want to, I'm sure you'll be able to see it without paying by Friday.

• Members

If you really want to, I'm sure you'll be able to see it without paying by Friday.

I'm really not a fan of movie piracy, and I haven't snuck into a theater since I was 14. But yeah, I had a friend offer to "acquire" a copy for me, and I haven't given him an answer one way or the other.

• Members

I'm really not a fan of movie piracy, and I haven't snuck into a theater since I was 14. But yeah, I had a friend offer to "acquire" a copy for me, and I haven't given him an answer one way or the other.

Your decision. Half the time, I just don't care, the other half, I'm watching stuff I don't really have access to without parading around town searching Blockbusters.

• Members

Oh {censored}! Goofball thinks something is overrated!
:eek:

Notify the international press!!!
:D;)

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but I rarely find something overrated nor do I crap over many things. I'm usually the opposite and say I'm tired of the "I don't get so-and-so" threads or the "I really hate _____" posts.

Now, from time to time I may go out of my way to try and screw up a thread like the "Lamb of God" love-fest a few days ago...but it never goes over very well. But hey, feel free to pour over my past posts and find where I'm a total bastard! Maybe I am and I just don't realize it.

Either that, or you're not being sarcastic at all....which I can never tell if someone is being anymore. :cry:

• Members

Other films the New Yorker has given a negative review:

Dark Knight (Edelstein also panned it)

Batman Begins

Babel

Slumdog Millionaire

Assassination of Jesse James

Downfall

Eastern Promises

Iron Man

Kill Bill

Letters from Iwo Jima

No Country for Old Men

Persepolis

Platoon (seriously, it's on RT)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (again, seriously..it's got a {censored}ing
67%
from the 'top critics')

Sin City

V for Vendetta (another Moore source)

Volver

But hey, they liked
Crash
:facepalm:

What was wrong with Crash? Those other movies are all pretty good. I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time ever last week, and don't understand the hype over that film. It is just the same thing as any other Indy movies, and that is to say that it was thoroughly mediocre.

• Members

What was wrong with Crash? Those other movies are all pretty good. I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time ever last week, and don't understand the hype over that film. It is just the same thing as any other Indy movies, and that is to say that it was thoroughly mediocre.

"ROTLA" was the first Indy movie??

• Members

I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time ever last week, and don't understand the hype over that film. It is just the same thing as any other Indy movies, and that is to say that it was thoroughly mediocre.

Raiders really revolutionized the action/adventure movie. You get this badass dude, Indy, traveling around the world, fighting nazis, discovering lost artifacts and meeting hot girls. Along the way, he runs into memorable allies and villains. I really don't think any character in that is 2 dimensional. Even Belloch isn't the bad guy we think he is initially.

Oh wait. Toht is pretty simple. But he's just a baddy bad mcbadderton. Every good movie needs a twisted, little creepazoid. I dunno, YMMV. It's still easily within my top 100 films.

Archived