OT: Is There Life On Mars?

Grumpy_Polecat

• Moderators
Not after next week there isn't!

ABC is canceling the best regular-channel program produced in the US in decades,
Life On Mars
without even running a full season.

If you're a fan and want to tell them to reconsider, shout it out here:

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lifeonmars/index?pn=mb&cat=141358&tid=605219

The wife and I love this show. We're very bummed about it being canceled.

• Moderators

I never understood what people liked about that show:idk:

Some of us are waiting for No Nuts and Tyler to get it on. Some are waiting to see if he really is from 2008. Others like the song selection (songs from 1973). Good stuff.:cool:

• Members

I just thought for the caliber of cast it would have been "more"...It wasn't ever bad, it just never caught my attention. I watched the first few episodes and kinda gave up on it. I do hate when good shows I like get cancelled though.

+1

I'm still bummed Pushing Daisies isn't coming back.

• Members

ABC should have never cancelled the Middleman, but that one's gone too...

+1 eleventy gillion!!! Any show that can riff on comics, scif fi, and hentai tentacle monsters int he first episode is win in my book.

And the chick was HAWT!!!

nataliemorales3.jpg

• Members

I really liked the Pommie version but the one made by the Former Capitalist Empire of the United States was not as much fun.

Download your favourite show in the UK version.
:thu:

That's what I was thinking...

You know, a very successful US show was once adapted from UK show. Sanford and Son was originally Steptoe and Son. Must've been by accident that it ran for so many seasons.

I'm just sick of the same old mindless crap that passes for entertainment these days, TV and movies both.

Oh, and music too!

• CMS Author

Seems to be a common theme of opinion...I too gave Life on Mars a chance, but it was just, well, {censored}ing boring. They don't seem to know whether to just make it a 70's cop show, or try to actually develop the "I'm from the future" plot. They only seemed to touch on that for a few minutes in the episodes I watched.

• Members

Seems to be a common theme of opinion...I too gave Life on Mars a chance, but it was just, well, {censored}ing boring. They don't seem to know whether to just make it a 70's cop show, or try to actually develop the "I'm from the future" plot. They only seemed to touch on that for a few minutes in the episodes I watched.

I know what you mean. It was a bit slow to get up and off the ground. The interactions of the characters and who they really are was just beginning to blossom.

I'm a big fan of Harvey Keitel and have always found Michael Imperioli to be convincing (plus, he reminds me of a few old friends...) And Gretchen, well...

Really, I think the Standards & Practices people are as much to fault as anyone. For eg. you can hold a cigarette, but you can't put it in your mouth. Hard to realistically set a show in the past when the 'PC-ness' of today is applied to it. Working against that kind of 'scripture' would be like trying to do Wooten's Amazing Grace on Claypool's Whamola Bass.

• Members

Really, I think the Standards & Practices people are as much to fault as anyone. For eg. you can hold a cigarette, but you can't put it in your mouth. Hard to realistically set a show in the past when the 'PC-ness' of today is applied to it. Working against that kind of 'scripture' would be like trying to do Wooten's
Amazing Grace
on Claypool's
Whamola
Bass.

what you said.

• Members

Pam and I LOVE The show and am absolutely bummed its being cancelled.

admittedly it a little slow starting, but so have been many hits. What I think is great about it is that it is very thought provokign without being too M Night Shamalamadingdong obvious.

Perhaps the American audience has been too conditioned to having the meaning jump out at the outset of the plot? But then again, American Idle (sic) is the highest rated show of all time to me speaks volumes.

Archived