Completely overhauled my Squier.

diapsalmata

• Members

I know, i know. It's "just a Squier". This was the first instrument I ever payed for myself, and it holds alot of sentimental value. I bought it when I was 14 and it's been with me for the last 9 years of playing crappy local punk shows. The only mods I had it in were the pickups for the last few years, but it honestly sounds really good and plays far better than any Mexican P-Bass i've played, it obviously doesn't stand up to many American made basses.

So, here it is.

Leo Quan BadAss II bridge.

Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quater Pounder pickup.

Fender 250K solid shaft pots, Switchcraft input jack, Angela premium wiring kit.

Body has been completely stripped, primed, painted, clearcoated to mimic Fender "Antique white".

Fender Standard 13 hole pickguard b/w/b.

1970's Fender Precision Bass wetslide.

Neck has been completely dressed, filed, leveled, sanded, clearcoated.

It took me roughly a month and a half to finish it, the most time consuming part is waiting between coats, and simply finding the time to sit down and get a good stretch of work done.

Before:

OldBassAndVideo001-1.jpg

TheRig004-1.jpg

After:

NewBass009.jpg

NewBass006.jpg

NewBass004.jpg

NewBass005.jpg

NewBass007.jpg

Just to be clear, by no means am I trying to make a "rip off" Fender bass. This is for my own personal satisfaction and use, and i'll play it until it's pried from my cold, dead hands.

Cheers!

• Members

good job looks sweet!

why put a fender badge on it tho? i thought you didn't mind it being a squier?

andy

The wetslide was relatively cheap, and looks really good. It's true i don't mind it being a Squier, but this way it looks completely different, makes me happy, and fools everyone. I would like to have a 1200$ US bass, but just can't afford it due to my unstable job. My drummer came over yesterday, and thought i had gone out an bought a Highway One P-Bass, hah.

• Members

The wetslide was relatively cheap, and looks really good. It's true i don't mind it being a Squier, but this way it looks completely different, makes me happy, and fools everyone. I would like to have a 1200$ US bass, but just can't afford it due to my unstable job. My drummer came over yesterday, and thought i had gone out an bought a Highway One P-Bass, hah.

soz man didn't mean to be an ass, im weird with stuff like that would rather just keep it original on the maker everything else looks wicked.

andy

• Members

Rebadging a Squier as a Fender is lame.

Other than that, nice work.

I'll take the other side on this one...I don't have a problem with it as long as it not misrepresented to a potential buyer...

nice job, dia...you've got a really nice axe there.

It's great to do work on your guitar, isn't it? I was surprised the first time I did a neck shim job on my tele and how cool it was that it all worked out and my guitar played so much better after I did it. It's a spiritual experience for me...

also nice post with the good pics...thanks...c-d

• Members

Beautiful-looking bass you have there.

Also, Squiers are good basses and guitars and are generally comfortable. They just need better hardware and can be rough around the edges finish-wise. I have played many a Telecaster that just needed a few mods but otherwise felt like a Fender.

• Members

gonna have to agree.

Other than that, I have VERY impressed with the end product.

My suggestion would be to remove the "Fender" logo and replace it with a "Fenfer" logo....
:cool:

+ 1 good idea, its a nice bass and to have to explain that its not a fender every time people ask would for me at least get a bit tiresome

Archived