Political surprise of the century!

lug

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

"I promised the president that we would have legislation out of the House before we went on an August break. That is still my goal," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday.

So, IOW, instead of making sure the bill could actually work, the goal is to have legislation out of the House by August. That's great.

• Members

If you're going to raise revenue, you have to tax the people who have money. I mean, what good would it do to tax the poor?

I'm pretty sure that is was all going to pay for itself though major gains after implementing greater efficiencies in medical record keeping. :)

ha......bwaha....BWAHAHA bwahahaha...BWAHAHAHAHA!

• Members

For further clarification purposes only, this 3.5% boost on the evil rich will put the tax rate of someone with earnings in the top bracket 1/2 a percent below a 40% federal tax rate. And in addition, we also have this little diddy:

In addition, key lawmakers are expected to call for a tax or fee equal to a percentage of a worker's salary on employers who do not offer health benefits.

• Members

For further clarification purposes only, this 3.5% boost on the evil rich will put the tax rate of someone with earnings in the top bracket 1/2 a percent below a
40%
federal tax rate.
And in addition
, we also have this little diddy:

In addition, key lawmakers are expected to call for a tax or fee equal to a percentage of a worker's salary on employers who do not offer health benefits.

Anyone earning over 150,000 here gets a 50% tax. Cry away.

• Members

Anyone earning over 150,000 here gets a 50% tax. Cry away.

The presence of higher levels of GovSuck in you area doesn't preclude GovSuck here. You will also notice how many rich people have moved here over the years to get away from that system of government leeching.

• Members

The presence of higher levels of GovSuck in you area doesn't preclude GovSuck here. You will also notice how many rich people have moved here over the years to get away from that system of government leeching.

They'll come back.

they always do.

• Members

{censored} it, my housesold doesn't qualify as evil rich. Why should I care if they want to tax the crap out of those evil selfish bastards who make more than $250k a year. It's not like the cost of this plan is going to explode so they will have to lower the cutoff point and then continue lowering the cutoff point every year after that until it reaches the low end of the upper 40th percentile.

This is the one gov't program that will work! It has to!

• Members

{censored} it, my housesold doesn't qualify as evil rich. Why should I care if they want to tax the crap out of those evil selfish bastards who make more than $250k a year. It's not like the cost of this plan is going to explode so they will have to lower the cutoff point and then continue lowering the cutoff point every year after that until it reaches the low end of the upper 40th percentile.

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out...

• Members

We need Change!

• Members

For further clarification purposes only, this 3.5% boost on the evil rich will put the tax rate of someone with earnings in the top bracket 1/2 a percent below a
40%
federal tax rate.

Which is about where it was under Reagan.

• Members

Which is about where it was under Reagan.

The Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 (also known as ERTA or the Kemp-Roth Tax Cut) was "A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to encourage economic growth through reductions in individual income tax rates, the expensing of depreciable property, incentives for small businesses, and incentives for savings, and for other purpose." Pub.L. 97-34, 95 Stat. 172, enacted August 13, 1981). The Act also reduced marginal income tax rates in the United States by 25% over three years (the top rate falling from 70% to 50% while the bottom rate dropped from 14% to 11%) and indexed the rates for inflation, though the indexing was delayed until 1985. Its sponsors, Representative Jack Kemp and Senator William Roth, had hoped for more significant tax cuts, but settled on this bill after a great debate in Congress. It passed Congress on August 4, 1981 and was signed into law on August 13, 1981 by President Ronald Reagan at his California ranch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Reform_Act_of_1986

Tax Reform Act of 1986

The top tax rate was lowered from 50% to 28% while the bottom rate was raised from 11% to 15% since many lower level tax brackets were consolidated, and the upper income level of the bottom rate was increased from $5,720/year to $29,750/year. This package ultimately consolidated tax brackets from fifteen levels of income to four levels of income. [1] This would be the only time in the history of the U.S. income tax (which dates back to the passage of the Revenue Act of 1862) that the top rate was reduced and the bottom rate increased concomitantly. In addition, capital gains faced the same tax rate as ordinary income. Moreover, interest on consumer loans such as credit card debt were no longer deductible. An existing provision in the tax code, called Income Averaging, which reduced taxes for those only recently making a much higher salary than before, was eliminated (although later partially reinstated, for farmers in 1997 and for fishermen in 2004). The Act, however, increased the personal exemption and standard deduction.

The rate structure also maintained a novel "bubble rate." The rates were not 15%/28%, as widely reported. Rather, the rates were 15%/28%/33%/28%. The "bubble rate" of 33% simply elevated the 15% rate to 28% for higher-income taxpayers. As a result, for taxpayers after a certain income level, TRA86 provided a flat tax of 28%. This was jettisoned in the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990, otherwise known as the "Bush tax increase", which violated his Taxpayer Protection Pledge.

It's pretty clear what direction Reagan was going.

Rates though the years:

http://www.ntu.org/main/page.php?PageID=19

• Members

I say we get rid of the IRS and use the money we save to buy our own health care plan...and just pass a consumer protection act :thu:

Most people I know without health care still pay over $100+ a month for cable and never even look into buying their own or saving their money for such an event...gotta have TV. Id rather not enable people to not think for themselves any more then they don't.

• Members

I say we get rid of the IRS and use the money we save to buy our own health care plan...and just pass a consumer protection act
:thu:

Most people I know without health care still pay over $100+ a month for cable and never even look into buying their own or saving their money for such an event...gotta have TV. Id rather not enable people to not think for themselves any more then they don't.

Seriously.

Archived