Political surprise of the century!

lug

• Members

Are you referring to VAT? We've got that too, 15% on all 'non-essential' goods (which, much to my displeasure, was stretched to include Pringles earlier this year
:mad:
)

No, same tax rate for everything everyone purchases, with no more Federal income tax at all.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, same tax rate for everything everyone purchases, with no more Federal income tax at all.

Going on the principle that rich people buy more stuff, poor people less stuff... which means that rich people will end up giving more of their money anyway... I mean, a poorer person is gonna buy their bread and water, while the rich will consume their foie gras and dom perignon...

amidoinitrite?

• Moderators
Going on the principle that rich people buy more stuff, poor people less stuff... which means that rich people will end up giving more of their money anyway... I mean, a poorer person is gonna buy their bread and water, while the rich will consume their foie gras and dom perignon...

amidoinitrite?

Yes. A GMC Yukon will bring in more tax revenue than a Ford Fusion.

• Members

Taxing in the suggested manner takes away the only carrot we collectively use to make people invest in our economy and replaces it with a stick that encourages them not to.

The only reason I just purchased my home this year is because it would help lower my tax burden. Otherwise, I would have continued renting. Without my write-off (and this years' credit) that would be much cheaper. The same goes for businesses putting investment in their own infrastructure, etc.

• Members

Taxing in the suggested manner takes away the only carrot we collectively use to make people invest in our economy and replaces it with a stick that encourages them not to.

The only reason I just purchased my home this year is because it would help lower my tax burden. Otherwise, I would have continued renting. Without my write-off (and this years' credit) that would be much cheaper. The same goes for businesses putting investment in their own infrastructure, etc.

ummm, better read this....

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/USSavingsRateFallsToZero.aspx

Saving too much is certainly not going to be a problem anytime soon.

• Members

ummm, better read this....

Correct. So now there's a "Saver's Credit". It's not enough to get the job done -- But see the idea? You can offer breaks to encourage the kind of collective financial behavior that helps keep the economy rolling in the direction we desire.

Alternatively, how does taxing goods across the board help people save?

• Members

That could still happen. Weatherizing your home saves on energy bills, but you still have to pay for the weatherization up front.

I would love to find out how much medical cost can be attributed to expensive paper work. The only complaints I've ever heard where the complexity and cost of fileing medicare/medicaid....the only current government healthcare solution. :D

• Moderators

I say we get rid of the IRS and use the money we save to buy our own health care plan...and just pass a consumer protection act
:thu:

Most people I know without health care still pay over $100+ a month for cable and never even look into buying their own or saving their money for such an event...gotta have TV. Id rather not enable people to not think for themselves any more then they don't.

And those who don't make enough to pay for their own health care plan?

What I don't understand is why it seems to be necessary to keep funneling money to the insurance companies.

• Moderators

I say we get rid of the IRS and use the money we save to buy our own health care plan...and just pass a consumer protection act

Most people I know without health care still pay over $100+ a month for cable and never even look into buying their own or saving their money for such an event...gotta have TV. Id rather not enable people to not think for themselves any more then they don't.

I don't think $100 a month goes very far for health insurance.

• Members

Correct. So now there's a "Saver's Credit". It's not enough to get the job done -- But see the idea? You can offer breaks to encourage the kind of collective financial behavior that helps keep the economy rolling in the direction we desire.

Alternatively, how does taxing goods across the board help people save?

umm, I didn't make the claim, just pointed out that forcing people to spend their money wasn't really needed in this country, we already spend every dime we get.

• Moderators

Everyone should pay the same percentage for their government. The poor will pay a lot less because they
buy
a lot less. Kinda self regulating.

On the other hand, they also spend a much higher percentage of their total income. They have to. Now, if you extend that sales tax to stocks and bonds, it might begin to move toward fairness.

• Moderators

You posting makes too much sense. It could never happen as it would never get through Congress. As for those people needing the cable and TV, well, why would they save, when the government is there to save them from themselves? Wait . . . .who is then going to save them from the government? :D

• Moderators

I would love to find out how much medical cost can be attributed to expensive paper work. The only complaints I've ever heard where the complexity and cost of fileing medicare/medicaid....the only current
government
healthcare solution.
:D

Yeah, I don't know that it would work, but still, one has to pay up front, even if one saves down the line.

• Members

On the other hand, they also spend a much higher percentage of their total income. They have to. Now, if you extend that sales tax to stocks and bonds, it might begin to move toward fairness.

Stocks, Bonds, Bread, Diapers, tax it all.

• Members

Stocks, Bonds, Bread, Diapers, tax it all.

How is that fair then? A larger proportion of a lower-earning person's income will go straight onto food and rent. The rich person will have a far higher proportion not be taxed at all and go straight into the bank.

Ergo, the lower earner will be paying a higher percentage of their income in tax, in an indirect way, so that means the lower earners will be supporting the government.

I don't think any invasions will be able to be effectively funded in that manner :confused:

• Members

And those who don't make enough to pay for their own health care plan?

Why the Government will take the money from someone else and if you don't qualify for the handout and don't buy, they will just fine you, silly!

In a revamped health care system envisioned by senators, people would be required to carry health insurance just like motorists must get auto coverage now. The government would provide subsidies for the poor and many middle-class families, but those who still refuse to sign up would face fines of more than $1,000.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090703/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_overhaul

• Members

umm, I didn't make the claim, just pointed out that forcing people to spend their money wasn't really needed in this country, we already spend every dime we get.

We're not forced to.

I chose to purchase a home because, after my deduction, it would be only slightly more expensive than what I was renting for. If that incentive wasn't there I would have chose to continue renting, because now I am paying much more a month on my mortgage (for a smaller place) than I was in rent.

Likewise, my office just purchased a couple new servers. They will increase our efficiency and (hopefully) help our growth. Part of the reason the choice was made to fund these upgrades is we can depreciate the value against our income. Taxing that purchase in the manner you described would have probably nullified the decision.

Archived