Bass Stereo Poweramps

petejt

• Members

Hi folks,

I just read in HCFX about running a bass amp in stereo with a guitar amp, for electric guitar.

I'm currently seeking out stereo poweramps for my wet/dry rig, and I am now interested in what good quality bass stereo poweramps are available out there.

I am interested in both valve and solid-state, so please post your recommendations & advice, thanks.

• Members

Most any PA power maplifier will do-

QSC PLX/RMX, Crest, Crown, Stewart, etc..

There aren't that many (if any nowadays!) production bass-specific power amps out there. Aguilar had one, Demeter had one, I'm sure a few others, but those are both d/c'd. Most people just use some of the PA-style amps mentioned above.

• Members

Could you post a link to the thread in HCFX? There isn't one jumping out at me that screams stereo power amp advice.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2399020

The thread is about running a bass amp in stereo with a guitar amp.

Since I'm setting up a wet/dry rig, and need a stereo poweramp to run the 4x12 cab, I am looking for a stereo bass poweramp.

• Members

Why does a guitarist need a bass rig if he has a bass player...? That's what he's kinda there for. :lol:

I'm lost here. I can understand bassists doing it for FX/drive purposes or to add a little crunch, but this is a first for me, gotta say!

• Members

Why does a guitarist need a bass rig if he has a bass player...? That's what he's kinda there for.
:lol:

I'm lost here. I can understand bassists doing it for FX/drive purposes or to add a little crunch, but this is a first for me, gotta say!

I don't know, I just read that running a bass amp alongside a guitar amp was a great sound, so I'm asking for advice here.

I guess a bass amp will give a fuller sound for guitar?

• Members

A power amp is just...a power amp: it amplifies.

What are you looking to achieve?

I thought poweramps were slightly different for guitar and bass?

I'm just interested to know why the thread I stated was raging on about running bass amps with guitar.

• Moderators
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2399020

The thread is about running a bass amp in stereo with a guitar amp.

Since I'm setting up a wet/dry rig, and need a stereo poweramp to run the 4x12 cab, I am looking for a stereo bass poweramp.

That's an interesting way of running a stereo guitar signal. I used to run my bass rig in stereo, technically, using an a/b/y box. The straight, clean bass signal went to an eden bass amp/cab (mono). The other portion of the split ran into a pedal board consisting of a trace elliot eq pedal to cut the lows, an OD pedal and a chorus pedal into a Marshall JCM600 head and cab.

• Members

I don't know, I just read that running a bass amp alongside a guitar amp was a great sound, so I'm asking for advice here.

I guess a bass amp will give a fuller sound for guitar?

I've personally never seen it.

If you were playing with keys, drums and guitar with no bass, I guess?

But all that's going to do is interfere and cancel out frequencies from one another.

Odd.

• Members

I thought poweramps were slightly different for guitar and bass?

I'm just interested to know why the thread I stated was raging on about running bass amps with guitar.

Preamps are very different for guitars or basses. Power amps are power amps.

What you could do is just Y-off your signal, send one to a guitar amp and the other to some sort of standard bass amp, if you really wanted to. Or just run a both a bass cab and a guitar cab off of your guitar head.

• Members

If there's a bass player in your band, he's going to beat you up if you octave down and run all over his signal.

That said, guitar through a power amp is going to sound like nails on glass and there's no reason to do it unless you want to octave down and run through a bass cab, and that'll require an octaver of course.

If you want a wet/dry guitar mix, in stereo, then get a stereo guitar cab or two guitar cabs and a stereo guitar power amp (all tube preferably, like the Mesa / Peavey / Carvin models out there).

• Members

If there's a bass player in your band, he's going to beat you up if you octave down and run all over his signal.

That said, guitar through a power amp is going to sound like nails on glass and there's no reason to do it unless you want to octave down and run through a bass cab, and that'll require an octaver of course.

If you want a wet/dry guitar mix, in stereo, then get a stereo guitar cab or two guitar cabs and a stereo guitar power amp (all tube preferably, like the Mesa / Peavey / Carvin models out there).

Exactly. I don't really get that/this. They make t00b mapz that go "lower" for this reason if you need some extra chunk in the low end. But a bass rig?

• Members

There's nothing really magical about a bass preamp: it's just going to have its eq voiced for bass.

All you need my brutha is a decent parametric eq in front of a guitar amp.

Hell, a cabinet voiced for bass is probably gonna have more impact on your sound than just futzing around with eq settings or using a bass amp.

A word of advice: good bedroom/solo guitar tone is not good tone in a band mix.

I'm sure you love that brown sound and all of that extra OOMPH in there, but you might as well fire your bass player, cuz no one is going to hear him in the mix.

If I were you, I'd spend less time trying to take your bedroom tone into a band situation and more time trying to find a tone that sits well in the mix.

But to do that, you have to be willing to hear the whole band mix and not just yourself. :lol:

• Members

What you could do is just Y-off your signal, send one to a guitar amp and the other to some sort of standard bass amp, if you really wanted to. Or just run a both a bass cab and a guitar cab off of your guitar head.

I think that is what was done in the HCFX thread. So I don't need a full bass amp (just a separate poweramp), I was wondering if a bass poweramp would impart similar qualities. Going by your explanation, I guess not.

• Members

I didn't say I was sending the guitar signal directly through the poweramp.

The external poweramp receives a split signal from the effects loop of the main guitar amp.

I've got a stereo guitar cab, and that in itself will run in stereo with another guitar cab. I'm just wondering if using a bass-specific poweramp will be useful, but I guess not now.

• Members

A word of advice: good bedroom/solo guitar tone is not good tone in a band mix.

I'm sure you love that brown sound and all of that extra OOMPH in there, but you might as well fire your bass player, cuz no one is going to hear him in the mix.

If I were you, I'd spend less time trying to take your bedroom tone into a band situation and more time trying to find a tone that sits well in the mix.

But to do that, you have to be willing to hear the whole band mix and not just yourself.
:lol:

Why are you assuming that I'm only playing in a bedroom? :poke: It appears that you are being rather pretentious.

You don't even know how I set my amp or anything.

I just got interested in someone's observation that using a bass amp in stereo with a guitar amp sounded good, that's all.

Archived