Bass Stereo Poweramps

petejt

• Moderators
So you're just saying that the EQ knobs have frequency ranges at different places in the audio spectrum? Eg. the bass knob is centred around 40Hz, mids at 160Hz, and treble at 320Hz? or something like that?

Most bass cabs aren't even tuned as low as 40 Hz. 160 Hz would be for adding some girth to your signal or removal of mud. 320 Hz is a low mid-range frequency. I don't find it very useful unless I want to sound honkish. I don't consider anything treble until about 5 kHz.

• Members

That's an interesting way of running a stereo guitar signal. I used to run my bass rig in stereo, technically, using an a/b/y box. The straight, clean bass signal went to an eden bass amp/cab (mono). The other portion of the split ran into a pedal board consisting of a trace elliot eq pedal to cut the lows, an OD pedal and a chorus pedal into a Marshall JCM600 head and cab.

Chris Squire does that as well. At one point in time I was playing three piece, and carried two rigs to a gig. One for bass, the other ran thru an A/B and overdrive that I would kick on during guitard leads to kinda fill in. It sounded good, but was hard on the back.

• Moderators
Chris Squire does that as well. At one point in time I was playing three piece, and carried two rigs to a gig. One for bass, the other ran thru an A/B and overdrive that I would kick on during guitard leads to kinda fill in. It sounded good, but was hard on the back.

Yep. Pennick, Petersson, etc. It's not uncommon for bassists. It helps if we have roadies, though. :lol:

• Members

I thought poweramps were slightly different for guitar and bass?

They are different.

Guitar power amps aim at bringing a flattering color in the medium, limited higher range to avoid ear piercing signals and they need to respond well to guitar speakers.

Bass power amps need as wide of a range as possible, with the flattest signal and the most dynamics. It is exactly the same set of requirements as for a PA amp so that's just what we use.

• Members

whats so bad about a guitar through a bass amp? i used to play guitar through my sansamp/poweramp/avatar410 rig. i had a 24 band graphic eq to help out but i thought it sounded pretty good.

and i know adam jones uses an old marshal bass head as one third of his live rig.

Archived