Car Poll

philthygeezer

• Members

Which one?

All manual trannies. Only the Subie comes with Stability Control or AWD. The Fit is roomiest and probably best mileage. The Mazda is bigger and handles well. The Civic shares best overall quality with the Fit, along with best mileage, but it's a sedan.

Do you even need stability control or AWD in a car like these? For any kind of actual driving you'd do in them those features are not neccessary at all. What is your main priority, storage space, milage, style? These all seem very similar to me, and would probably all do the same job, so pick which ever one meets your primary need best.

Somewhat related, but has anyone else noticed that people these days have started using milage ratings as bragging rights? When did that happen? Cars with the most anemic performance ever get bragging rights now? Only in America! ;)

• Members

Somewhat related, but has anyone else noticed that people these days have started using milage ratings as bragging rights? When did that happen? Cars with the most anemic performance ever get bragging rights now? Only in America!
;)

Hey, I resemble that remark.

I commute 100 miles a day, it made sense to get a car with better milage than my Tahoe or formula.

• Members

Hey, I resemble that remark.

I commute 100 miles a day, it made sense to get a car with better milage than my Tahoe or formula.

No doubt! I'm just noting that when I hear the general public talking about these kinds of cars, the only thing that ever seems to come up is milage, to the exclusion of everything else, and the higher the better to them. Milage is getting people to drive cars with motorcycle size engines, and giving them something they feel they can show off, or brag about. It just seems like a really big turn around from a few years back, where performance and style was what earned a car it's street cred. Just interesting is all...

• Members

No doubt! I'm just noting that when I hear the general public talking about these kinds of cars, the only thing that ever seems to come up is milage, to the exclusion of everything else, and the higher the better to them. Milage is getting people to drive cars with motorcycle size engines, and giving them something they feel they can show off, or brag about. It just seems like a really big turn around from a few years back, where performance and style was what earned a car it's street cred. Just interesting is all...

Oh, I agree. The fit is not an exciting car to me, just a purpose built tool that does what I need it to do, and little more. I don't know/care what size or type engine it has. I have had a pile of cars, I have always known before.

• Moderators

It just seems like a really big turn around from a few years back, where performance and style was what earned a car it's street cred. Just interesting is all...

That's funny because I still think performance and style are still the top of the list. I just think the term performance now means something different than it did back in the day to the general public. "How's that car's performance?" "Oh, it gets great mileage." :lol:

• Members

That's funny because I still think performance and style are still the top of the list. I just think the term performance now means something different than it did back in the day to the general public. "How's that car's performance?" "Oh, it gets great mileage."
:lol:

Yup, that's pretty much it. I think driving has become a lost art too. If you can drive, you sure as hell don't care about the milage!

• Members

The listed car options fill different personal needs/niches, as I see it.

I like the Civic sedans a lot and would generally recommend that one, but if buying for myself* I would choose the Mazda 3 hatchback (I own a similar vehicle and like it a lot).

*I occasionally transport dogs or amps/cabs/PA

• Members

Step it up and get an Subaru STi.

Actually, the regular 2009 WRX is a better deal. 95% of the performance (they boosted the power after the great 2008 wimp debacle) at a MUCH lower price than the STI. The STI is a bit heavier if I remember correctly so the HP difference doesn't make a huge difference in performance. I'm sure handling will be better but at some ride cost.

• Members

Actually, the regular 2009 WRX is a better deal. 95% of the performance (they boosted the power after the great 2008 wimp debacle) at a MUCH lower price than the STI. The STI is a bit heavier if I remember correctly so the HP difference doesn't make a huge difference in performance. I'm sure handling will be better but at some ride cost.

The non-STI WRX actually does 0-60 faster than the STI. I just wish they'd put a 6-speed in the non-STI version.

And for some weird reason, the STI is only like $2k more than the WRX here.

• Members

Phil: Do you really need AWD in the GTA? I can totally see a need for it here where we get 20-odd foot-or-more snowfalls in the winter but you guys don't get all that much severe winter weather up there.

That being said, it'd be down to the Impreza or the 3, but I'd suggest the 2.3l (2.5l for 2010) motor over the 2.0l. It's got a lot more get up and go for a slight fuel economy penalty.

Archived