Well, I'm done being a gear whoring douche.

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell my Ibby Roadstar P/J 4 to SuperDoughnutMan, but I'm going to give it one last shot at rehearsal tomorrow.

I still want to sell my Spector Legend......and I'm getting closer and closer to selling my Jazz V. :( (my dream bass :idk:)

I've also got a Audere JZ3 preamp I need to unload....

I'll keep my Bulldog 5 until I can try another onboard preamp......love the feel and playability, but can't jive with the tone.

Any idea on the bottoming out of a saddle?

Will a shim solve that?

• Members

PM

Sent.

Just FYI: those are all real women. flaws and all. artistically photographed, not photoshopped. i like the imperfections.

sometimes he does photoshopping, but it's obvious and effective (like blue filters).

Not make the women look all fake and impossibly proportioned.

• Members

Any suggestions on bottoming out the saddle height? Shim the neck?
:confused:

if it's universal, as in - all of the strings are still too high when the saddles are all the way down, you can either shim the neck (i would suggest a business card for starters), or you can ever-so-slightly recess the bridge into the body (with a router).

as for no longer being a gear whore, good luck with that. i've tried kicking that monkey a dozen times or more. it'll go away for a while, but then something comes up that you just gotta have. you'll justify it to yourself because you've "been good for a long time now" and because you've "always wanted to try that amp or that bass". next thing you know, you'll have bought, sold and/or traded 25 basses in 6 years. you won't even remember what all you've gone through, only that there was a steady blur of equipment passing through your hands. all of it justified as a means to an end. which is the gear you've got now. again, you'll swear it off, promising to be better this time. that the addiction is really over. but it's not. it's simply gone dormant for a while, waiting, watching, eager for the day that that amp or that bass comes up...again. and again. and again...

:D:D

• Members

if it's universal, as in - all of the strings are still too high when the saddles are all the way down, you can either shim the neck (i would suggest a business card for starters), or you can ever-so-slightly recess the bridge into the body (with a router).

Both the low B and highest string are bottomed out.

the rest aren't because of the fretboard radius.

Just wanted to confirm shimming was the right thing to do.

as for no longer being a gear whore, good luck with that. i've tried kicking that monkey a dozen times or more. it'll go away for a while, but then something comes up that you just gotta have. you'll justify it to yourself because you've "been good for a long time now" and because you've "always wanted to try
that amp
or
that bass
". next thing you know, you'll have bought, sold and/or traded 25 basses in 6 years. you won't even remember what all you've gone through, only that there was a steady blur of equipment passing through your hands. all of it justified as a means to an end. which is the gear you've got now. again, you'll swear it off, promising to be better this time. that the addiction is really over. but it's not. it's simply gone dormant for a while, waiting, watching, eager for the day that
that amp
or
that bass
comes up...again. and again. and again...

:D
:D

I've already been there.....with guitar gear. Mostly guitar tube amps.

I'm fighting the urge to do this with bass gear.

5 basses is way too many.

I just need to unload a ton of gear.....soon.

• Members

Just wanted to confirm shimming was the right thing to do.

assuming that the bass is properly set up otherwise, i'd say yeah. stick a business card (or playing card) under the heel of the neck. make sure it's something that will shim the whole neck and not just one end or the other. and go slow with how much you shim. it doesn't take much to make a big difference.

:)

Archived