Well, I'm done being a gear whoring douche.

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is shimming the neck typical?

ive had to do it to two basses. the fretless warmoth build i did has a slightly deeper neck pocket (top to bottom) than the neck i installed on it. i could get the string height the way i wanted it but the saddles were real low and the E string would not intonate. simple shim with a playing card near the butt of the neck and it was good to go. had to raise the saddles a bit but everything checked out.

i also had to do it on a cheaply made hamer bass. the action was too high on the strings and the neck angle was junk. i could get it in tune and intonated. the low notes sounded fine, played in tune across all strings but when you went past the 12th fret it would be out of tune on octaves and stuff. shim fixed the problem.

• Members
Pretty sure my Ibby Roadstar, Spector Legend, and Fender Jazz V are all going to be sold eventually.
:cry:

I couldn't tell you which I love more- my MTD or NS2. They're both so different and serve different purposes, and both simply awesome in their own ways and do different things. But I could do anything from here on out with both of them in the stable. Of course, I won't stay at just 2, but I'm just sayin'... ;)
You'll get there one day.

• Members

I must be a tard, because I only want two really good basses.....that are flexible.

That's what I have (plus the Charvel which is only for a special tuning b/c our set requires it).

I"m content. :cool:

There's a white '86 NS2 F/S on TB right now. One of the last of the Brooklyn era. If I had the $$ and didn't just buy a new bed it'd be mine.

• Members
What's so great about the old ones?

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for in a bass?

If I strip down to the Millennium, Bulldog, and soon to be Renfield's Roadstar.......what else could I really need? Nothing, 'cept maybe a P.
:o

Materials, hand-built, Haz-Labs preamp, shaping and body are a little different. Plus mine has about 10,000 studio miles on it too. Major find for me.

Archived