Quiet Practice

RickGoetz

• Members

Hello all,

I finally got back around to getting my chops back in order and as someone living in an apartment building I have to be wary of making too much noise. I looked at the Tascam MP-BT1 and it seems to be discontinued. There also seems to be enough negative reviews out there that warrant it being discontinued. That said, I would love some kind of option to play quietly and maybe even have many of the practicing options that the BT1 had. For those unfamiliar you can check it out here. I also have been looking in to the vox amplug for bass but I'd love to know if you guys had any suggestions to share about how you shed. I'm really out of touch with modern equipment.

Thanks in advance,

-Rick-

• Members

I've been using a Cafe Walter headphone amp for a very long time and could not be happier, very high quality, aux input with it's own volume for a MP3/CD player.

Sadly, due to my currant living conditions it's all I play through. But I have a nice set of headphones and am not complaining. Pricey, yep. Worth every penny, definitetly.

The VOX bass amp plug might work, I've never tried one, but it's small and plastic, hence it's low price tag. I doubt I will last anywhere as long as my Cafe Walter, these are solid and have a lifetime warrenty.

• Members

There's a lot of ways to do headphone practice.

I have a Vox Bass Amplug, and I'm not so crazy about it. It works, but it has a LOT of background noise hiss. It's better than nothing, and a lot depends on what kind of headphones you use with it. In my opinion, there's better ways to spend $50.

I've heard good things about the Korg Pandora but I've never played through one. The built-in drum machine should be very helpful for solo practice, that can teach you to play with a steady tempo.

Other gizmos intended for guitarists will usually work fine on bass too. If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, there's the iRig thingy, it's about $40. Also, there's the Pocket POD, and if you have more $$$, the various other flavors of PODs.

As for myself, my practice setup is also my home recording setup. I use a SansAmp Bass Driver DI that's plugged into my recording interface, a Lexicon Omega. The Omega has 4 inputs, so I sometimes run a drum machine in there too.

• Members

I plug bass into my computer (same one I'm typing on now) & listen on headphones. I can play along with whatever I want (iTunes, etc.).

Same here, using Garageband and headphones. Also have a cord that goes from 1/4" to 1/8", plugs right into the iMac. Setup Audio Hijack to capture tunes from Spotify, then drag it into Garageband, add a bass track, and turn on monitoring.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I use this....

practicerig.jpg

I play covers, so I'll just plug into the computer speakers, crank up youtube, plug the bass into channel 1, pop in the headphones and voila! silent practice. I picked it up for $30.00 used quite some time ago.

I picked up a similar model. The cool thing about using a mixer gives me the choice between direct or preamp, which is always nice. Plus the fact it has room for an mp3 or another human to plug in is always nice...

It's not a bad sounding little unit for the price.

• Members

I picked up a similar model. The cool thing about using a mixer gives me the choice between direct or preamp, which is always nice. Plus the fact it has room for an mp3 or another human to plug in is always nice...

It's not a bad sounding little unit for the price.

To say I am happy with it is an understatement.......:thu:

• Members

Just get an Acoustic B20. You can get

them for $100 at GC when they are

on sale.

It works real well as a headphone amp.

It is also an amp that has good tone

at bedroom volumes, unlike most cheap

practice amps.

I have headphone amps and preamps

that will work, but the B20 is easy to

get in the mix with the radio or an MP3