DGCF Tuning?

RoadRanger

• Members

Hey, any of yous guys using DGCF (D standard) tuning? I've just started up a Country project and really need to get down to that "D". The notes needed on the high "G" string are usually in the first couple frets anyways so still there in this tuning. I play short scales so don't really want to go to a 5 string or BEAD tuning as (besides being ultra floppy on a 30" scale) the latter would push the top string notes you need up past the fifth fret frown.gif . Anyways I've been working on re-learning the 13 tunes we have already worked on and will try them out tonight, wish me luck smile.gif !

• Members

Okay, good luck. You may want to go to heavier gauge strings, given your short scale bass. Another option is Dropped D, where the E string is tuned to D (duh!) but the rest remain in standard tuning. I've been tempted to try Dropped D myself but I haven't yet. Let us know what you choose and how it works out for you.

• Moderators

I've tried drop D, and didn't care for it. Too old, I suppose and too used to standard tuning. One of my current bands is tuning down to Eb. I don't see any reason one couldn't tune down to D and carry on smartly. As DeepEnd said, a heavier gauge string might help, but give your current ones a try first. They might be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I use if for completely completely different styles, I'm not into country at all...

But depending on which bass you're playing, in my experience regular gauge strings will do fine in D standard tuning. Actually, I'll even say short scale basses are MADE for D standard:)

Archived