Behringer

Knottyhed

• Members

I own a Behringer PMX 2000 PA and one of their acoustic amps. Make no bones about it they are low end and made cheaply. But I wasn't able to afford any more at the time so I went for it and have been using both items for 3 years now, giging weekly. The amp has died once but was covered under warranty. The sound IMO is just fine, but I'm not playing at ridiculous levels either. I've owned their mixing boards and had trouble with channels going out, but I've owned other brands that have done the same thing.
I thing the thing to keep in mind is the old addage...you get what you pay for, but I have to say that the Behinger gear that I have has performed pretty well considering the price I payed for it. IMO.....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A friend of mine gigged pretty hard with a Behringer 16 XLR (forget model number offhand) board for 2-3 years. Only recently was he having any problems with it. He did keep in an SKB case but didn't baby it.

My band got a new Behringer board about 6-8 months ago, the SL3242FX-Pro and have had no problems with it so far.

I have a small Behringer at home, (1604A) - hardly any use and have problems with one of the channels occasionally.

Your mileage may vary.

• Members

Originally posted by Blackwatch

I thing the thing to keep in mind is the old addage...you get what you pay for,

I don't know a damn thing about PA's but I've seen and brought enough guitars to know that the "get what you pay for" adage isn't always true. One of the most mediocre and uninspiring guitars I ever played was a Gibson les-paul that set the owner back over

• Members

All of the mixing boards I have are Behringer and is the PA we have. Most of their stuff sounds great and in pretty reliable. They are cheap just because the company wants to be a good bargain for musicians. I recently tried some of their new bass guitar stuff and their bass amps and cabs sound awsome and are pretty cheap.

• Members

I'm not very knowledgeable about sound gear overall, but I like what's been working for me for 12 years, and that's Peavey PA gear. I've had an XR600 powered mixer that's needed work twice - once when someone spilled a margarita down the back of it and once when an XLR jack broke. My mains are Peavey 15"s with a horn and the monitors are 12"s. No problems ever with any of them. I have an old Peavey 120/120 2 channel power amp that I run monitors with when I need them, and I use the monitors for mains in smaller places.

That being said, I know the limitations of some of this stuff. I don't push too much bottom end through them because they won't take it without sounding like {censored}. I have PAS and JBL cabs at my disposal should the need arise, plus PAS subs.

My rig's days may be numbered as the lead guitarist and I are about to combine our gear and make a more "full-service" PA, but really, you'd be suprised how a little system can go a long way.

• Members

Originally posted by FuelGTRX

They are cheap just because the company wants to be a good bargain for musicians.

If only this were true. Unfortunately the truth of the matter is that the components are cheaper and the workmanship is subpar.

• Members
Originally posted by TimmyP

Why your band should not buy a PA (and what to get if you do):
http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/BuyPA.htm

Good post but as usual it's pretty myopic...yes, if you are a loud rock band and want that loud rock band PA thing happening you might be better off renting IF you can afford to (i.e. your gigs pay well enough to cover rentals).

I was once in a rock band where if the take was less than the sound company's fee they were guaranteed 75% of the take!!!! Turned out this was almost ALL of our gigs :eek: More than once I went home with $5 in my pocket.

It amazes me how many people seem to NEVER do gigs where the band needs to provide a PA and a small vocals only system is all that is needed. More power to you and I'll happily play all those gigs you're passing up :cool:

• Moderators

Originally posted by Knottyhed

I'm in the market for a PA system and notice that Behringer under-cut the competition by quite some way. Is this because their equipment sounds like ass and is completely unreliable or is it ok?

Behringer = unreliable crap

It's cheap for a reason. Avoid using Behringer stuff in any important position of your signal chain.

I too, succumbed to the lure of cheap gear and bought Behringer stuff. It didn't last very long at all.

Terry D.

• Members

For recording I use a Behringer UB1222FX and I think it's awesome. It doesn't go on gigs and just stands in the studio, actually, but i think you can get great quality sound out of it, just know how to use it. :)

• CMS Author

Originally posted by TimmyP

Why your band should not buy a PA (and what to get if you do):
http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/BuyPA.htm

I see you're still recommending beginners power 1,200w subs with 3,400 watts and suggesting they rewire UL-listed power distribution with Powercons that you can only buy from a relatively few sources. What do you recommend they do when the powercon cord's too short and the only place open is Home Depot? And yes, that's before they've launched a pair of $600 JBL drivers into the parking lot with 3x rated power.

Your heart's in the right place, but this stuff is bad advice for beginners.

• Members
Originally posted by Nrrrk

For recording I use a Behringer UB1222FX and I think it's awesome. It doesn't go on gigs and just stands in the studio, actually, but i think you can get great quality sound out of it, just know how to use it.
:)

Sure, if you've never experience something else ;)

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

Man, I couldn't disagree more. Every piece of Peavey equipment I've ever used has eventually failed (usually multiple times). I'll bet you'll find a lot of people have the same experience.

Not from me. Rugged, reliable. Old peavey isn't as good as new peavey though.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Hollow body

Does anyone know why the channels crap out on Behringer boards? Has anyone had them repaired?

I do my own repairs.

Don't own a lot of Behringer stuff, just a few units. So far, the number one problem is cheap parts and poor quality control of the assembly. Specifically, the connectors fail and the power supplies run very hot and tend to fail.

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by moody

Not from me. Rugged, reliable. Old peavey isn't as good as new peavey though.

To each their own. Admittedly, I am growing fond of some of the newer Peavey monitor wedges. I just don't trust their boards.

Side note: yet another Behringer failing on one of my gigs. The entire second monitor mix failed on the soundman's board. We had to go with one for the entire weekend.

Archived