Ideal duo partner for acoustic guitar

LiveMusic

• Members

In your opinion, it's what? You're forming a duo. You on acoustic guitar, singing lead vocals.

Would you want your other player to be a bass player or another acoustic guitar player who can play rhythm and lead riffs? Either player can also sing harmony. Playing country, rock, Americana, folk, whatever.

EDIT: No multi-instrumentalists for this thread. Just another guitar or a bass player, which is it?

• Members

Bass is too dedicated to one job. I'd go with the second guitar.

Better yet... How about a rythm guitar player who sings harmony and can sometimes play a little Mandolin, Banjo, Blues Harp, etc. just to boost the mix interest.

Bass player could double-duty as well but would be surely missed when not playing those low notes.

• Members

I've seen 2 guitar duos work much more often than I've seen guitar-bass duos work.

It also depends on the acoustic player's style... I play with a guy who's style is very percussive, and very rhythmic... so he needs more support on the melody, which is why another guitar works

Somebody who has a very melodic, fingerpicky kind of style wouldn't be helped as much by another guitar to play leads...

• Members

Having played in both formats (guitar/bass & guitar/guitar) doing rock, pop, folk, & the like, I'll say definitely two guitars. Both have their pros & cons, but I find that guitar/guitar covers more ground material-wise and is more satisfying to listen to, especially if the material requires a fair amount of lead work.

I currently play with a buddy who plays all acoustic, I move from acoustic to electric, & we both sing.

• Members

Originally posted by caveman

I remember seeing Leon Redbone with a tuba player and it sounded pretty cool for a song or two.

Tuba kinda fits that raggy blues thing he does. Anyway, the man would be cool no matter who/what played along side him.

Sorry for posting off topic.

Go with the guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Martin

I've been playing bass with acoustic guitarists for a long time. Part of the reason it works for me is that I'm not afraid to play the solos (i the guitarist isn't a soloist, but is primarily a singer. Bass players LIKE the chance to overplay - with taste, of course...

+1

I'm currently playing bass in a 3-piece band that is just vox, guitar and bass. We used to play as a 5 piece, with a second guitarist and a drummer. It's been a lot of fun reworking the songs for the stripped down instrumentation.

However, to answer the original question, I'd go wtih a keyboardist or guitarist (or both).

• Members

Originally posted by HuskerDude

Out of curiosity, who no multi-instrumentalists? Seems like the best choice for a 2 piece...

Of course, it's the best choice. Assuming you can find one. But if you can't, we're back to THE QUESTION: bass player or another guitarist?

Thanks.

Archived