Is bass necessary?

Gammy

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you play solo classical guitar pieces then where do you need bass?

If you play in a bass & tuba duo then taking away the bass might prove troublesome.

If you play rock guitar try taking all the bass out of the guitar and the amplifier. Does it sound good? Usually the answer is "no."

Hence we can make the conclusion that bass is usually necessary. Even in classical solo guitar pieces you do have bass parts that you play on the bass strings of the instrument. Take them away (the strings and the bass lines) and the song will sound quite different, usually in a less-flattering way.

• Members

Well you're right of course that "bass" in some form is usually necessary. The question I think that was being asked is, does it necessarily have to come from a bass guitar? And the answer is, I wouldn't want to do without a bass guitarist myself but quite a few bands have come up with innovative ways to have "bass" without having a bass guitarist. You might have a bass keyboard, or a guitar with an octave divider (the 80's blues band Treat Her Right did this), hell, have a freakin tuba if you want. And if it works, great... if not, you can always go find a bass player.

Good call on the Rascals W2F, forgot about them!

• Members

Not all agressive bands require bass. Listen to Pig Destroyer or Agoraphobic Nosebleed or Anal {censored}.

Anyway, I guess it boils down to what you want your music to sound like. No more, no less.

• Members

I agree this subject is a bit ridiculous.

Here are a few more questions for debate:

Is a guitar in the hands of a country singer necessary?

Are backup vocals necessary?

Is more than one guitar necessary?

Did the Allman Brothers Band need two drummers?

etc...

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

Why is it a stupid question? It seemed sincere. And there have been a few notable bands like the White Stripes, House of Freaks, even the Doors had no actual bass player.

Because you could say it about any instrument for that matter. No the Doors did not have a bass player and how did they sound live?? Empty.

• Members

Originally posted by Outkaster

Because you could say it about any instrument for that matter.

Well sure you could. But most people don't say it about bass. I wouldn't call a question stupid just because you don't agree with the premise (I don't agree with it either, but it's interesting to consider).

• Members

Well sure you could. But most people don't say it about bass. I wouldn't call a question stupid just because you don't agree with the premise (I don't agree with it either, but it's interesting to consider).

Yeah I see what you are saying but it is obvious to me. Thanks!:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by rhat

I dont like metal and i didnt like cream ,,, yea i am old enough to have been playing when the so called power trios came out. I guess thats the good thing about music ,,, everyone has their own personal favorites .... sunshine of your love has to be the most murdered song in rock and roll...... i cant count the number of times i have heard that song killed ,,,, I would guess power trio's are still killing it today .. rat

I wasnt saying you in particular, i was just using two extremes. Every one has diff taste.

I agree with bands butchering Sunshine. Have you ever heard the version done on the True Lies soundtrack done by Vernon Reids band(im drawing a blank, its embarrasing)? If you ever need a laugh try to find it.

• Members

I play with three of my good friends, we have two guitarists, one bassist and one drummer. I write a lot of our material and bass parts are definitely not my strong point. Our bassist can turn any piece of crap bassline I write into a great part that adds another level of depth to the song as a whole.

One of my more recent songs has a simple guitar part consisting of the chords and a little bit o' lead that comes in and out from time to time. The bassline is the only thing keeping the song alive and strong between the lead parts because it moves and interacts with the other voices. It has made me realize just how important bass can be to a song.

Another song I have written has minimal bass in it and I don't think its a necessary part, but even when its not an important aspect of the song it can still make everything work together.

I guess my point is that bass is just as necessary as any other voice in the band: you never really need any of them, but they can make the difference between a good song and a great song.

• Members

Originally posted by TheGammy

Ok I mean no disrespect to anyone who plays an instrument that I love and have played myself many times but...

Is bass really necessary?
:confused:

Seriously a lot of the time bass plays a minimal role, and the audience (generally) pay no attention to the bassist.

Also, speaking personally, I don't think bass is essential.

Take Metallica's 'And Justice For All' album.

This famously has no audible bass, but most people will agree this album is a metal classic.

Discuss.

Bassists, unite! I think this is just a question to get a rise out of us. My question to you: Is the lead guitarist or the singer really necessary for a band? why can't we just have the bass, drums and keys? (Rhetorical Question). I admit, I have fallen for your trap by responding to this ignorant question. So I fault myself...:rolleyes:

• Members

The Doors used a real bass on every studio recording. The current band with Ray and Robbie has a real bass player. They used to not play with one live so Ray could have more control, and probably to save money.

• Members

It's true that the audience doesn't usually pay attention but if the bass dropped out they would certainly notice.

IMO, even in a band where the bass lines aren't prevalent, bass (or lack of it) affects the way the other musicians perform and it affects audience response.

Well I think it's considered a classic in spite of the lack of bass, not because of it. It would've been a better record with bass, in my opinion.

But it really depends on the band. Some lineups would work all right with no bass, many won't. If you think you can have a band with no bass player, just try it - it might work for you and it might not.

Yup. It's not so much that an audience notices the bass... it's that they will DEFINITELY notice when it's not there or drops out. It lays the whole foundation on which the guitar and other instruments ride on. There are very few exceptions to this when it comes to good bands. The ones you mentioned and another that comes to mind is the Black Keys. But even with them I find myself not being able to listen to them for long periods because it gets boring for me. Not having a bass to play off of is too limiting in my opinion.

• Members

My group has no bass or drums and we've been gigging for 14 years-no one ever has complained. but, on our cd, I hired bass players for every cut and a drummer for some of them-bass fills out a record, but live if the players are playing hard and their instruments have at least some bottom, it can work, IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by worthyjoe

Yup. It's not so much that an audience notices the bass... it's that they will DEFINITELY notice when it's not there or drops out. It lays the whole foundation on which the guitar and other instruments ride on. There are very few exceptions to this when it comes to good bands. The ones you mentioned and another that comes to mind is the Black Keys. But even with them I find myself not being able to listen to them for long periods because it gets boring for me. Not having a bass to play off of is too limiting in my opinion.

That's interesting, for me it's more limiting to have one, because then you are locked into the harmony. With only one harmony instrument, the person supplying chords to the soloist has freedom to change the chords as he sees fit.

• Members

For me, the bass player is the single most important player in the band. He sets the rythmn, tempo and chord changes. He stays steady and everyone else can fly off in different directions. I've played the bass part in bands before, and feel the responsiblity to the drummer and everyone else to be just rock steady.

I tip my hat to all bass players out there.:love:

• Members

Originally posted by rhat

You got that right .... they had the full boat sound and great harmony in their vocals. The cryin shames were another group from that era that really had things screwed down tight. How many of you younger guys are covering that kind of stuff ? when i made the comment that you could drive a mack truck though cream ,,, it was groups like the young rascals and cryin shames that make my point about cream.....The only place you hear groups that tight these days is in country music ..... diamond rio and asleep at the wheel are modern day groups that i think have tight pretty well nailed down ...... rat

You want tight? You want Bluegrass.

• Members

Well you're right of course that "bass" in some form is usually necessary. The question I think that was being asked is, does it necessarily have to come from a bass guitar? And the answer is, I wouldn't want to do without a bass guitarist myself but quite a few bands have come up with innovative ways to have "bass" without having a bass guitarist. You might have a bass keyboard, or a guitar with an octave divider (the 80's blues band Treat Her Right did this), hell, have a freakin tuba if you want. And if it works, great... if not, you can always go find a bass player.

Good call on the Rascals W2F, forgot about them!

I had, too, until I saw that Ed Sullivan retrospective. You won't see anyone on MTV that tight.

• Members

ant on Being a bass player, I find this question totally ridiculous for any band other than the soloist/acoustic duo/etc situation. I can't imagine any real band going on stage without a bass player. /rant off/

Now, I did see this group once that had drums, bass, keys, and two lead singers playing a club in Chattanooga a couple years ago. In other words, NO LEAD GUITAR. I was thinking to myself "how is this gonna work?". They turned out to be one of the most entertaining bands I had heard in a long time. Totally drums and bass driven. Tight as hell. I never missed the lead guitar at all. The keys player really never even took a break.

So....is lead guitar necessary? :D

Archived