How do you deal with drummers that drink too much before gigs?

Sir Don

• Members

Last night (Sunday night) my band had a gig as a support act for a well known band. Our bass player got the gig. The band I'm in is only just starting to gig so it was important that we create an impression on the manager of the other band (who agreed for us to be the support so he could see if we were any good). We believe we're a good band.

Anyway, the drummer rolls up with a six pack under his arm, a beer in his hand and a few under the belt. It was obvious that he was going to keep drinking until we started playing. Unfortunately he'd consumed all beers by the time we hit the stage. Needless to say he was very sloppy (dropping sticks, missing cues and endings). He's starting to do this more and more often at rehearsal, even his wife thinks he's drinking too much.

I spoke to him before we started playing telling him that this gig was important for the band and that we needed to keep it together to try and secure future gigs. His response was that he's always been this way and he's played plenty of gigs. We only played one set but it simply wasn't good enough.

The trouble is he can't see that this is becoming a problem no matter what I say to him, I've known him for about two years and it's becoming worse. Short of kicking him out of the band (we've had two lineup changes in the last twelve months) I am at loss to deal with this. Any suggestions?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A Short of kicking him out of the band (we've had two lineup changes in the last twelve months) I am at loss to deal with this. Any suggestions?

Well you've chosen your own fate by choosing to keep someone in your band who is dragging you down.

Short of kicking him out, I suggest prayer, if you are spiritual.

Seriously, get another drummer.

• Members

"The trouble is he can't see that this is becoming a problem no matter what I say to him"

hate to say it, but if you can't get through to him, there's no hope of solving the problem, aside from kicking him out of the band. if a person can't identify a problem, there's no chance of addressing it.

• Members

Needless to say he was very sloppy (dropping sticks, missing cues and endings). He's starting to do this more and more often at rehearsal, even his wife thinks he's drinking too much.

. His response was that he's always been this way and he's played plenty of gigs. We only played one set but it simply wasn't good enough.

if you insist on giving him another chance, show him a video or play a tape of his sloppiness and say "you've always played like this? Well sorry to tell you but that's not going to be good enough for this band."

He's in denial - playing like {censored} - you're not going to get through to him. You should probably start auditioning drummers now.

• Members

You cannot convince a person with a drinking problem that they have a problem. They usually view your constructive criticism as a personal attack on themselves and their abilities.

I used to be in a very similar situation with an alcoholic drummer who refused to admit that he had a problem. He would occasionally get so drunk at shows that he could not sit on his drum throne without holding onto his drums for balance. His timing was all over the place, but he refused to accept that because in his way of thinking, if his timing sucked when he was drunk, he'd know about it. Diplomacy went nowhere with this guy. Any attempt to get him to moderate his drinking was met with a "{censored} you, if you think you can find a better drummer then go ahead."

Eventually, that is exactly what I did.

• Members

His timing was all over the place, but he refused to accept that because in his way of thinking, if his timing sucked when he was drunk,
he'd know about it.

This is why I recomend you tape your shows - at least the other guys in the band will all be on the same page when you make the decision.

To me this is important cuz a lot of guys have alliances and will try to drag someone else out of the band too - if they can make the one who fired him out to be a prick or similar.

So go ahead and have everyone watch in glaring detail the tale of the tape - you will have 100% support in your decision to {censored} can the bum.

• Members

Fire the guy.

Not that I'm an expert, but the conventional wisdom is that there's usually no way to change substance abuse short of drastic action, like being fired. But even if that's not the best way, the drummer is still screwing up. You wouldn't keep a drummer who played badly sober, would you?

• Members

When you get a drunk in a band ,, you just tell them, if they show up with booze on their breath ,, or drink during the show they are done. make them sign and agreement. Typically this will piss them off enough to quit and save you the trouble of canning them. rat

• Members

It's very simple: you propose an ultimatum. You explain that you have high standards for your performance and if he wants to compromise those standards by drinking excessively, then he won't be playing with the band any longer.

My band drinks too, but we all feel a responsibility to our music. All of us care enough about it that we want it presented in the best possible way. I put a two beer limit on myself before the show...and I'm capable downing some serious quantities of grog when I want to. Anybody who drinks more than that just doesn't give a {censored}...

• Members

The trouble is he can't see that this is becoming a problem no matter what I say to him, I've known him for about two years and it's becoming worse. Short of kicking him out of the band (we've had two lineup changes in the last twelve months) I am at loss to deal with this. Any suggestions?

"Go to rehab or you are done"

This guy is ruining it for you.

• Moderators

The bottom line is, if he can't get his {censored} together, then you need to let him go. For his own good.

I play drums, incidentally, and I know my capacity. I'll usually have 1-2 drinks before I play (3 MAYBE sometimes) and call it good. There's plenty of time to knock them back later in the night.

I'm not judgemental of my bandmates' drinking/drug use, as long as it doesn't seem to impact their performance. (or isn't ruining their lives) But there's a time for partying, and there's a time for performing. You need to know the difference.

• Moderators

if his drinking is a problem, he won't stop until he's lost everything, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. been there, trust me on this.

Although I agree that this guy sounds like he has a problem, I don't really agree with the sentiment that anyone with any kind of a drinking problem HAS to hit rock bottom before they change their tune.

I've personally know more that a few people who decided that their drinking was excessive, and took steps to moderate it before they "lost everything" .And it worked.

Of course, for some, it has to go down like that.

• Members

I had a drummer like this. He would do a decent job until he got a beer or two in him at which time he'd start smacking the drums as hard as he could...Out of time...

Then he started showing up drunk every time. It kills you because you like the guy, but then again you hate him cause he's messing you up...

Chances are he'll keep on until you can't stand it anymore and then you''ll do what everyone here is telling you to do. Fire him......

• Members

Although I agree that this guy sounds like he has a problem, I don't really agree with the sentiment that anyone with any kind of a drinking problem HAS to hit rock bottom before they change their tune.

I've personally know more that a few people who decided that their drinking was excessive, and took steps to moderate it before they "lost everything" .And it worked.

Of course, for some, it has to go down like that.

Exactly. It doesn't have to be a crash and burn scenario for a lot of problem drinkers to pull out of it. He may not even be an alcoholic. Could be he's super-nervous when he plays and compensates by drinking.

Whatever his problem is, you can't let it be the band's problem. Tell him you don't care what he does on his own time, but he plays like {censored} when he's drinking. If he ever gets drunk again at practice or a gig, you'll fire his ass on the spot because it would be better to play without a drummer than a drunk-ass loser.

• Members

a good drummer has the ability to make a mediocre band sound like a million bucks... a lousy drummer can meke the best band sound like rank ameteurs... take a few minutes and ask yourself how you want to sound? let the person know how you feel and give them a chance to rectify the situation... if they cant, then you have a choice to make... sound like hell and be miserable every time you go out to play... or wade through the auditions to try to find the right replacement... yeah, thats a tough one but it isnt about how many times you get knocked down, it's about the ability to get back on your feet one more time and move forward...who told you this was gonna be easy?

• Members

It's very simple: you propose an ultimatum. You explain that you have high standards for your performance and if he wants to compromise those standards by drinking excessively, then he won't be playing with the band any longer.

My band
drinks
too, but we all feel a responsibility to our music. All of us care enough about it that we want it presented in the best possible way. I put a two beer limit on myself before the show...and I'm capable downing some serious quantities of grog when I want to. Anybody who drinks more than that just doesn't give a {censored}...

+10000000000000:thu:

• Members

The biggest problem you will face when trying to deal with a guy who drinks too much on the gig....is that, you cant cut him off ,, unless you are willing to cut the whole band off. The old ,, you drink too much but I can have two beers and burn one on break. isnt going to flush. The nasty truth is ,,if you dump drummer ,, it wont be long till you will have another bandmember with the same problem. rat

Archived