Anybody else think blues jams are beneath them?

• Members

The problem, as I see it, with anything outside of a blues jam, is that one would have to know the changes to the songs called out. Blues is not just a genre but also a form.

Yes, I understand that. BUT there are plenty of rock/country/blues songs that people generally know that would work fine in an open jam situation. The "standards" that all cover bands play. People rock out on them the basement ifd they're not in a band.

It would probably require a core band of encyclopedic musicians and a fat cheat book to make it work. It would also be a great chance for 2 or 3 musicians from one band to jam with guys from another, which ups the chances of making it to the end of a song. Throw an amateur in the mix and they can follow along.

Hey, it might not work. People may not be doing this for a reason. I've just seen that blues jams and open-mic nights seem to endure, and both sound more exclusive/less universal.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think they are good for improving improv skills

+1

Nothing will inspire you to get out of a riff rut like hearing a bunch of players trying to break out of their usual I-IV-V moves.

I like to play with different people in different situations. Blues jams (good ones, anyway)are great for that.

• Members

I recently have a gone to a couple because I am looking for a new drummer. They do absolutely suck. There are always a bunch of regulars who get there 4 hours early and sign up so I have to wait until midnight to play after drinking 6 beers. I usually give up after 4 and relenquish my coveted 4th guitar in the last set spot.

I did go to an open stage that was advertised as a "Pro Jam" which was hosted by a really good guy who used to play with Jerry Reed and the Judds and others. He is a really good guy and to me it was interesting to hang out with him as a peer, since he destroyed me when we played together. It felt like a true jam. Even though I never knew the guys, we quickly found some common ground. They especially liked the fact that I'd sing. It was a democratically elected set of oldies/standards.

You can't deny the competition thing exists. You should never be seen playing in public and sounding like {censored}. You need to bring your A game if that's what it takes. I make sure that everyone there knows that I walk the earth with impunity despite my lack of the black, flat goucho hat.

In blues, you should be able to state your authority with less flourish. The guys who suck the most are the guys that play long, intricate runs and play too loud. At blues jams, the best thing in the world is following one of those guys and being able to make him look like a punk by playing 4 sweet notes. LIke when it's your turn, don't start playing right away. Give up 2 or 3 bars and the band will usually back off and give you breathing room.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Blues is a form that, unless you're a really really really really energetic kickass pro blues type band with an extremely kickass rhythm section, its sucks unbelievabley mightily.

Its mostly the domain of hacks and showoffs. A fate worse then death for the listener.

+1 (heavy sigh)

• Members

They are what they are... typically 12 bar stuff in the key of Arts and Entertainment. Its just a jam ,, some guy sings, sweet home chicago, and every one has a few beers and a good time is had by all , except those who take this {censored} too serious. You may meet a potential bandmate there. rat

• Members

I've come to loathe jams of any kind. I'd rather light my hair on fire and put it out with a golf club. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't have anything tp prove and I don't enjoy playing with strangers all that much unless it's a structured gig with real songs and there's pay involved. The last few jams I went to were colossal wastes of time.

• Members

I've come to loathe jams of any kind. I'd rather light my hair on fire and put it out with a golf club. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't have anything tp prove and I don't enjoy playing with strangers all that much unless it's a structured gig with real songs and there's pay involved. The last few jams I went to were colossal wastes of time.

LOL... i bet you hate those as much as I hate riding to breakfast in some private pilots 172. The only thing worse than that is a bike rally lol...... hey pat do you know the ballad of johnny doo rag .... Johnny doo rag was a biker ,, he trailered to the rally doooooooo waaaaaaaa doooooo waaaaa lol jams are amatuer night ... they are what they are. If you are a pro like yourself the suck they blow so you dont go lol. rat

• Members
Oh yeah...

There was a guitar player running a local jam that had a habit of calling jazz tunes, or something with a LOT of changes, whenever another good guitar player came up. Worse yet, he would turn his back on the other guitarist and call the tune to the rest of the band, so you were left up there not knowing what song or what key he was playing in! Of course, he stayed up on the stage pretty much all night, trying to cut whoever dared join the jam.

After seeing this act a couple of times, I waited until there was a bass player and drummer I knew, passing on "my turn" to play until the house band wasn't up there with Asshole Guitar Player. The fix was in with "my" bassist and drummer. I got up, said "Hi" and the three of us broke into "Giant Steps" at the proper tempo. By the time he figured out what was up and tried to tag along, we changed keys - twice. And sped up.

When the song was over I started McLaughlin's ballad "Follow Your Heart"

with the drummer playing it in 7. Once he figured out the key , tempo and song, we switched 'em all.

We finished with Satch's "Summer Song" at a billion miles an hour, not leaving him a parsec to interject anything. Then we walked off the stage and out.

The guy and his "house band" got fired a couple of weeks later, after a few others players staged similar attacks.

Shaking their teeth a might is also effective and just as satisfying. :)

• Members

They are what they are, can't say I've experienced anything out of the ordinary that's already been said. I guess it depends on the mind set of why you go in the first place. Needless to say, I haven't been to one in a few years and this thread is a good reminder of why.

• Members

They are what they are. I hit 'em every now and again. Got a chance to jam with Kerry Livgren's current drummer at a blues jam, also, a guy who played keyboard with a sorta successful hair band back in the 80s...so every now and then, heavyweights do stop by (for whatever reason). Mostly, though, it's the usual "jam rats"...guys who show up at all the jams. A couple decent players, most quite pedestrian.

But it can be a good way to acquaint yourself in a new town.

• Members

All these posts have just reminded me why I have not gone to a blues jam in over 15 years.

It's a shame too cuz the opportunity to improvise over a not so familiar tune can really push my playing - all the head-cutting and a-hole moves aside I really did learn a few things hanging out at the jams...

There were a few people trying to go that head cut route with me; saw em kinda sittin there with there arms crossed.

Hell I didn't care - brought my A game for what it was and i tell you what, they were DANCIN to Sweet Home Chicago when I was up there - guess the energy was right.

Mighta helped that ole Gary Moore only had one blues album out at the tiime and not a whole lot of people were ripping him yet...I basically redid his solo for "walking by Myself" with a few extra phrases for "Sweet Home Chicago".

Definitely was fun and I felt I was bringing something a little different to the mix; that's what it should be about but the politics cliques and bs tend to ruin that...

• Members

I hear 'ya bra...

Participated in quite a few(during my "formative years") as a way to better my chops. There are very few keyboardists around town who would play in these jams. I can't really say that I've had that kind of experience with playin' them, but with the number of lower caliber musicians willing to blow their wad through a rundown of "Before You Accuse Me", I decided that enough was enough.

My reasons for going as well as my experience are pretty much summed up in your post. My pet peeve is vocalists and harp players. Most of the vocalists seem to think that blues vocals is the epitome of "the worse you are, the better you sound". Most of 'em would be jokes at karaoke bars.

And I've been the star of the night one week and "bums rushed off the stage" the next.

My biggest grip is that so many of them don

• Members

The last few jams I went to were colossal wastes of time.

Precicely. It served it's purpose for me. Heck, karaoke is what got me on bass. They both have their place, but I think of them as a chop building thing.

Well, it is also a good way to get into a band, as others hear you play. Here in the seattle area a LOT of networking goes on at those things. I mean SERIOUSLY a lot.

• Members

Yep. I used to go to some, many years ago. I'd get up, call something like "Mr. P.C." or "So What", and no one would know 'em... endless 12-bar I-IV-V gets old after awhile.

I had fun for a while, but it eventually go to where if heard one more lame rendition of "Mustang Sally," I was gonna punch myself in the nuts just to distract myself from the pain.
:freak:

• Members

Blues is a form that, unless you're a really really really really energetic kickass pro blues type band with an extremely kickass rhythm section, its sucks unbelievabley mightily.

So true. It's either really good, or it's fingerpainting. It's Evil Knevel jumping the grand canyon. Either he makes it, or he's gonna need lots of surgery. There is no middle ground.

• Members

If I show up to play bass, I usually end up watching the same go-to guy play all night with his buds and maybe give up 2 songs.

That has been my experience with a couple of jams here. I was really trying to support it, but I got tired of waiting through two breaks and the bands bass player was STILL on stage. They are not there to jam. They are usually being paid to warm it up.

I really liked the Randy Oxford jams. His band played until nine and then sat down the rest of the night and opened it up to jammers, which is why it is JAM night.

I went to a karaoke show at "Greek Town" in Detroit once and it was the lamest thing I ever saw. It was hosted by a male and female kj team. By the time I left they were into their 8th song together, with NOBODY getting a chance to sing. It was just dumb.

Some jams seem to be run that way and I will no longer put up with it. The highlight of jams for me now is networking with other players that I know.

• Members

My problem with blues jams of late is that they have become more about the 'gear' than the 'tear'. Plus, I don't mind playing a nightfull of I-IV-Vs, walking basslines, and slow 6/8 walks providing I got a kick-ass drummer to lock-in with and lay down the phat-groove, but instead I usually wind up with Mitch Peart Bonham clanging the ride cymbal and playing drum clinic every four bars. Unfortunately, it seems all I ever do all night is give and give and support and support and not get that in return: most of the time its "look at me" guitar players and harp players blowing smoke with disregard to everyone else and they don't mind stepping on toes--especially when someone is trying to sing.....Also, IMHO, note-for-note blues isn't blues........

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Yep, every Thurs. from 8-11 at Sam's. There's one main guy named Urban that brings his drums out for everyone to use. When he can't make it another guy named Tony does the same. We usually don't have many drummers, maybe one or two. I think 3 is the most we've had show up at the same time. Definitely come out if you get a chance. I'll be the goofy looking guy in the soundbooth, stop by and say hey.

Hey Crownman. My Thurs night band switched to Tues last week so I went the last two Thursday Jams at Sam's. Those jams at Sams are unbelieveable! I can't believe I've been missing that every Thursday for the last couple years. You still doing sound? It sounds great. The quality of the players is astounding. The horn section is really good. Last Thursday there were some amazing guitar players. I was the first drummer up and the guitar/singer called Ten Years After/Goin Home. Nothing like a slow and easy one to start out my first jam with!

Then that sax and brass army that showed up last night was too cool. I was the last drummer to get up with Jimmy Spacek and Jack Barber and I forgot the names of the other two cats on guitar and electric mandolin. I feel extremely lucky to be able to participate in such a high quality jam. Urban Urbano says I have great time and to come back so I'm going to keep coming back until you guys tell me to stay home.

And I want to add, these cats made it extremely pleasurable and easy for me. 99 times out of 100, when I play with a band I've felt that most of the time I was always padding the canoe upstream trying to get the band to groove, playing with these cats last night I was defintely paddling the canoe downstream.

• Members

I used to go to alot of old school country jams back in teh day, dogg.

I went to one of those. These old timers new lots of tunes. It used to be , country tunes had a lot of changes in it. You get up there with an old country player that knows his stuff, he can leave you in the dust.

Checkout "In care of the Blues - Patsy Cline"

8 bar blues with a bridge.

Now baby if you're needin' me

The way that I've been needin' you

Well drop me a line sayin' honey you'll be mine

Write me in care of the blues

• Members

I used to play at Jam sessions all the time. It got to the point where I would get a call anytime a new jam would start, cause they knew they could count on me showing up and filling a seat.
So.. you don't want to become the professional jammer. (IMO) If you start getting a lot of calls to do things for free.. your getting taken advantage of.

Blues Jams - from a musicians perspective are good for getting to know other musicians in the area, if your new to playing live you can work off the jitters and if the host band is really good you might learn new material.

I used to go to this one jam where the house band would play a set and a half and then they would sit down and start drinking for the rest of the night. Very rarely would you get to set in with the house band. Most of the time you would have to go up there with players that were, not too advanced (to put in mildly).

I used to get so frustrated at those things. It is very hard to play anything, to sound like you know what your doing when you get up there and the drummer sounds like someone kicked his kit down a flight of stairs. You know people are comparing you to the house band - who just got done with their rehearsed set and sounded great..

After a while I quit going up on stage unless they were going to call me up with the house band. This happened a few times. I would get called up with the house band and play one or two songs and then they would leave me up there to play with the amateur that they would call up..

I just decided I was not helping myself any by showing my ass up there on stage.

I remember reading an interview with Will Lee about him breaking into the NY scene. He said that he started a jam session in his apartment and got to know a lot of the locals that way. It was an underground thing that helped him break in. I think its a good idea for people moving to a new area and wanting to get to know the local musicians.

This is not the article. I couldn't find the one I was thinking of but here is a short excerpt from an article where he mentions the jam session:

I used to have jam sessions at my apartment and have guys come over and we'd just play - for no reason - I mean, that was the reason - to play. There wasn't going to be any money in it, wasn't going to cost any of us anything except a few pennies of my power bill to plug-in. And through that kind of networking you would get to know guys and how they played.
They would hear you, you would watch them grow, they would see you come along - it was very kind of organic

Archived