Things that lead singer do that pisses you off.

• Members

It can be big time performers or weekend warriers. Also to be a little more specific I will say that this is limited to Live situations.

Here are some of my pet peeves:

Saying "get the {censored} up" - ghey

Counting "common!! 1234!" - dumb

"Feel free to come to the front" - no {censored} off your band sucks

"Don't be shy come to the front" - yeah heard you the first time still don't want to come to the front.

My lead singer wears a hat over his eyes, the whole band has been on his {censored} about it and he wont yield.

• Members

I am the lead singer in my band. Here's some of the things I do that annoy me:

1. laugh about inside jokes that only the other band members understand.

2. inform the audience about the colossal {censored}up the bass player caused in the last song

3. forget the words to songs, or sing them in the wrong order.

4. leering at scantily clad women dancing seductively in front of me. I was getting the "come hither" from a couple of MILFs on friday night.

• Members

Another lead singer chiming in here to add some of my guilty acts to the list.

Singing wankery over the end of a song

In my adrenalized excitement, exclaiming "OH YEAH!" right after a song has ended (ad nauseum)

Introducing a song and then tuning, creating a big pause between the introduction of the tune and the actual start of it.

Lord knows I butcher lyrics often enough

Running sound from the stage (as if I don't have enough to do singing lead, playing guitar, providing all stage banter and basically being the band leader)

I know there are many others, but I'm moving slow this Monday.

• Members

Our ex-singer (he has death metal style vocals) REFUSED to speak in his normal voice between songs. It's ok if someone doesn't understand too much during the song, but between songs they should know wtf you are talking about. One of the reasons we let him go..

• Members

- Messing up the names of the bands on the bill, the sound guy, the venue...

- Making negative comments about drinking or smoking weed when we're playing to a bunch of drunk stoner rock bands. :roll:

- Taking way too long to recover from mistakes!

Outside of that, I'm blessed to have a great front man!

• Members

haha freebird... good story.

yeah we dont let our vocalist talk alot inbetween songs, he knows that he'll just say something like...

"so how many girls do we have out here tonight?"

(only girls raise thier hands)

"oh well i couldve swore there was alot more than that out there..."

• Members

I used to be in a band with a chick singer, who would kindly move aside for my solos during songs, but would always stand right in front of my amp.

I'd be up there at center stage, doing my rock god moves and making orgasm faces to my fantabulous licks, and all of a sudden I couldn't hear my guitar anymore. I look over to see what's the problem, and her ass is soaking up all my sound!

I'd always yell "Stand somewhere else, dammit!"

• Members

How long of a rant do you want?

Showing up 10 minutes before soundcheck and not helping with the PA,

Asking to be 'brought up' on stage (the band plays a couple without her then calls her to come up, like she's a special guest or something_)

Bitching

Moaning

Bitching

Telling you that you need to schmooze with the audience, when you've worked a 10 hour day and ran over to the bar to set up the whole bloody sound system and haven't had a second to chill until your first set break, and she's been eating bon bons by the pool all day.....

I rock as a frontman, I have fun with the banter, but not too much (well, sometimes too much) and I get he crowd involved without having to force them.....

• Members

Don't let your drummer think he has potential as a front man (especially during other band's sets).

I had a drummer who turned up wearing a burberry cap, he then proceeded to attempt to sing/rap to a really terrible song he made up. It is utterly hilarious. If i can find the video, i would not post it here as it is too truel towards him. He came across incredibly confident and I believe he thought he was good.

• Members

I am the lead singer/bassist for my band but I make no apologies for anything I do: I'm trying to get the audience going and interject some life - Granted, some of the above are legitimate stupids ( like band inside-jokes - they are a big No No) but you non-singing musicians have a different outlook on music than singing musicians do. Its a fact - I know in my history that singing musicians are very conscience of the importance of the vocals and where/where-not to play - including impromptu fronting - to support them whereas a lot of non-singing musicians I have played with tend to look at vocals as a "necessary inconvenience".

Bassred: I've read your posts in the past and I know you've been around so I know I shouldn't have to tell you this: While I sympathize with you about prima-donna singers not pulling their weight and wanting special treatment, schmoozing is actually a really important part of a lot of gigs - especially new ones. In the past, female singers generally get in my way when it comes to setting up the PA and breaking it down - like handing a mic cord that looks like a scribble instead of a circular wrap...I just have to redo the cord. Plus they have an attribute you and I don't have - boobs. Fine, go sit in the clubowner's lap and let him grope you while I break down the PA - kill two birds with one stone.

While this thread is funny, it also sucks

• Members

Plus they have an attribute you and I don't have - boobs.

Time is a funny thing. You may wake up one day, 20,30, maybe 40 years from now, and you may find that you do indeed have boobs. Man boobs. You may think back to this thread and shout, "{censored}! That asshole said this might happen!"

• Members

Time is a funny thing. You may wake up one day, 20,30, maybe 40 years from now, and you may find that you do indeed have boobs. Man boobs. You may think back to this thread and shout, "{censored}! That asshole said this might happen!"

Ha - I got 'em now :D:thu: I just don't think the average male clubowner wants to grope mine :(:thu:

edit: Fixed from lonotes words of wisdom below

• Members

Ha - I got 'em now
:D:thu:
I just don't think the average male clubowner wants to grope mine
:(

Uh, just speaking for myself here, but I think I would've put the thumbs up at the end, instead of the frownie. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :eek:

• Members

My singer is like some messed up cross between Mick Jagger, David Johansen and Iggy Pop, its insane. I've yet to think of anything I can do to top his stage performance.

Check it (and ignore the stop-start video, my flares, or anything else haha)

• Members

DRF, I know that schmoozing is important, but while I was just the Bass Player/backup vocals/sound/light guy it was her job, not mine, and as stated, I was taking the first chance all day to put my cheeks on a cushion. I schmooze like the best of them now that I'm fronting the band, it helps that I've changed jobs and no longer work horrible long hours all the time too....

Strangely enough when I sit in the bar managers lap, we lose gigs....

• Members

We really only have like 45 or 35 minute sets being an original band so I being the singer really don't take much time talking in between songs unless to say thank you or to remind the audience to take care of the bartenders, or give praise to the previous band or the name of the next couple of bands to come. I don't like acting like a douche on stage, like many guitarists I have my vocal influences and influences of vocalists that play guitar as well. And most of them dont really do much. Liam Gallagher, Ian Brown, Noel Gallagher, Paul Mccartney, Kelly Jones, Tim Burgess. They really don't do much acting like an idiot on stage.

Archived