Anyone ever pay their singer more?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
If she can provide the P.A system, haul it and set it up without help from the rest the band then she deserves a little more pay, otherwise she is just another prima donna.

Max

+10000

I've paid singers that don't haul, loadin/out , mantain or own gear a 50% share :thu: Its right here in the Primadona guide :)

• Members

she sounds like a weiner. I always used to hate singers before I even knew what music was, simply because most of them acted like they were better than everyone else. But THAT was because my sister forced me to watch crap music on TV....

but yeah, they sing. Singing can be hard. But playing drums, guitar and bass and other instruments require dedication and hard work, not to mention the stress it puts on the body. I know this ass of a singer hasn't emailed you back, but if she hadn't I'd tell you to let her go. I couldn't really give a crap about someone's musical (or otherwise...) abilities if they weren't ready to be fair, and comply to obvious good morels like everyone getting an even cut.

did that come out right? oh well other people have probably wrote exactly the same thing before on this thread...

• Members

I would love to find a singer who would make it worthwhile to pay her more. If she had the voice, the personality, the stage presence, and was demonstrably the reason we got higher-paying gigs, she'd deserve the bigger cut, in my book. And then, no doubt, she'd move on and leave us behind, like Gwen Stefani ...

• Members

There are only two logical reactions to her comment.

1. "Thanks, but your approach to being in a band won't work for us. Good luck to you."

2. "You must be kidding. If you're good enough to make our band, you'll get paid the same, even though you don't play an instrument and probably can't haul heavy gear. That said, you will be expected to help set up and tear down at every gig, and the first time you act like a prima donna we'll throw your ass out of the band."

No reason to go there ,,, just tell her that you pay equal splits.....and let it go at that. Let her make the decision to either go with the flow or just go down the road. You gain nothing by getting a last dig in on someone that has eaten themselves. rat

• Members
:lol:
Excellent advice!
:lol:

Me, I sing lead and play guitar and racked harmonica...when I hire a rhythm section to back me a some of my gigs, I pay them well, but I pay me more, because I do the booking, the promotion, supply the PA (and frequently the bass amp and/or percussion rigs) and all the little things that make it all come together.

That gal is probably a series of headaches looking for a place to happen!
:idea:

I was in a band that paid in a VERY fair way. The money was split into credits as follows:
Bring yourself

• Members

I'm about to audition a female singer. She looks good, and she can sing well. Problem is that during our phone conversation, she was saying something about 'I think the singer should get paid more than others in the band.' I think this is load of BS, unless you are clearly a star/well known, or hiring people for your own band, etc. I wrote back to her that I thought she was great, except that if she expected to get paid more than anyone else, it wouldn't work. It's my band, if anyone gets paid more for the gigs I get the band, it's me.

This girl is very attractive, and she probably knows it, but is that any reason to get paid more? She was touring Europe/Asia with a cover band sharing lead vocals with other singers, so I got the impression that she thinks she should be paid more for being 'full time lead singer', as opposed to her previous gigs where she traded off lead vocals during the 3-4 sets. Lol!

How many of you split gig money equally, or pay the singer more?

No way. The singer actually always ends up having to do less work than the others between rehearsals!

• Members

No reason to go there ,,, just tell her that you pay equal splits.....and let it go at that. Let her make the decision to either go with the flow or just go down the road. You gain nothing by getting a last dig in on someone that has eaten themselves. rat

If you don't go there now, you'll get there down the road. Any prima donna who thinks her singing is worth more than a normal band share probably thinks that other band duties are beneath her. Might as well get it all on the table up front, no?

• Members

Unless you live in Evergreen Alabama

What's wrong with Evergreen, AL?

You're close to the Gulf Coast, and if you can't find a gig there, then you don't really want to find a gig.

Not to mention your within reasonable driving distance of at least ten major universities.

• Members
That is a matter of opinion, I am the singer, and I do the most (but I also play rhy guitar too).

Mmmm... theoretically it cannot be.

When I learn a cover I need to:
(1) learn how the song goes generally (i.e. structure)
(2) listen to the record and transcribe/figure out my instrument part
(3) adjust my part in case there are overdubs or multiple guitars are used
(4) find out the correct sound or effects used
(5) practice until I can perform it correctly
(6) repeat until I know it by memory
(7) rehearse with the band

A singer usually doesn't need as much effort for step (2), and normally doesn't need to do (4) and especially (5): a singer either can sing a song or cannot. There are exceptions, but most of the time if the singer ain't able to sing it, the band simply drops the song outright. If it happens to an instrumentalist, the band likely pretends him to practice until he can play it.

Then of course, if you're taking other responsibilities, then you're a good bandmate :thu:

• Members

Our band approaches things kinda like RobRoy does. There are four of us. We split gig money into six parts:

20% to singer

20% to guitarist

20% to bassist

20% to drummer

10% to PA/sound provider

10% to booking

Our bassist owns the PA except for the monitors. When he brings the PA out, he makes 10%. That means he's responsible for moving it and running it. Since he doesn't have monitors, he gives the guitarist a couple bucks each show to bring his monitors out. If we have someone run sound while we play, he's also responsible for paying that person (usually $10-$20, as it's typically a friend of the band).

So by the end of the show, if we're making $500, that's $100 to each band member, $50 extra to the bassist (who then pays out about $5 to the guitarist for bringing his monitors and $20 to the person running sound), and $50 to whoever managed to book the show. If the club called us, that 10% booking is simply split between all the band members.

Using this method, if the singer wants to be paid extra, it means he needs to book gigs. Otherwise, he's worth exactly what the rest of the band is worth.

• Members

If she can provide the P.A system, haul it and set it up without help from the rest the band then she deserves a little more pay, otherwise she is just another prima donna.

Max

Some bands I've been in pay more to the member that books the gig. It's hard to argue with a 10% cut for booking because it's a real pain in the ass most times and if someone wasn't doing it you'd be sitting at home on saturday anywaY.

• Members

What's wrong with Evergreen, AL?

You're close to the Gulf Coast, and if you can't find a gig there, then you don't really want to find a gig.

Not to mention your within reasonable driving distance of at least ten major universities.

I'm sure the livin is good,

but within the context of this post

the supply to demand ratio for divas is pretty limited.

In other words if the original poster is in a major metropolis he's better off going w/ another singer(because there will be plenty of others available), if not he's got a hard decision to make.

• Members
Mmmm... theoretically it cannot be.

When I learn a cover I need to:

(1) learn how the song goes generally (i.e. structure)

(2) listen to the record and transcribe/figure out my instrument part

(3) adjust my part in case there are overdubs or multiple guitars are used

(4) find out the correct sound or effects used

(5) practice until I can perform it correctly

(6) repeat until I know it by memory

(7) rehearse with the band

A singer usually doesn't need as much effort for step (2), and normally doesn't need to do (4) and especially (5): a singer either can sing a song or cannot. There are exceptions, but most of the time if the singer ain't able to sing it, the band simply drops the song outright. If it happens to an instrumentalist, the band likely pretends him to practice until he can play it.

Then of course, if you're taking other responsibilities, then you're a good bandmate
:thu:

That is incorrect, a singer should practice just as much. SInce I also play guitar I do double duty, and I schedule most of the gigs and handle most of the setup. It all depends on the person.

• Members

Meh. We just split it seven ways one to each band member, one to the desk pilot. Despite the fact that I own all the PA, and do all the bookings. I figure this is what I do for fun. If I get something back, great. Noone gets pissy, we all have a few drinks, everyones a winner.

Archived