I have to cancel band practice. What excuse should I use?

New Trail

• Members

The REAL reason that I feel I should cancel rehearsal is that, for various reasons, I have not had time to work on the songs we are going to learn. But I think that's lame. Should I tell them:

1. I have to work late. (Not totally a lie since my work is really busy right now and it would actually be smart to work late and try to catch up, and I could work late if I chose to).

2. I'm getting sick. (Not totally a lie either since my seasonal allergies are "starting" to kick up).

3. The truth (even if I think its lame). I'm not prepared for rehearsal and I don't want to waste the other bandmembers time so there's no sense rehearsing until I'm prepared.

• Members

Whenever I have to flake out from a rehearsal, I just don't tell anybody. Don't answer your phone, just literally disappear for a whole day and avoid all your band members. When they see you again, don't explain anything. Just act like there wasn't even a rehearsal to go to.

It's better than lying IMHO.

• Members

I'm a big believer in NOT lying to my band mates. If I'm not prepared for a rehearsal (hey ... it happens to all of us from time to time) - I let everybody know before we're scheduled to get together - and we then decide if it's worth our time to still get together. It's not a all uncommon for us to simply shift the focus of the rehearsal - so instead of learning those new tunes that somebody's unprepared for - we focus on reviewing harmonies on tunes may be getting a little "loose" - or focusing on a tune that really relies on a player who IS ready for it.

Lying to your bandmates sets a bad precedent that will sooner or later tear a band apart. Sooner or later everybody's lying up a storm ... which kills momentum (without which a band ceases to be a band) - or your bandmates catch you lying and you find yourself out on your ass (at which point the band ceases to be YOUR band).

Man up... tell the truth....and come up with Plan B.

• Members

The REAL reason that I feel I should cancel rehearsal is that, for various reasons, I have not had time to work on the songs we are going to learn. But I think that's lame. Should I tell them:

1. I have to work late. (Not totally a lie since my work is really busy right now and it would actually be smart to work late and try to catch up, and I could work late if I chose to).

2. I'm getting sick. (Not totally a lie either since my seasonal allergies are "starting" to kick up).

3. The truth (even if I think its lame). I'm not prepared for rehearsal and I don't want to waste the other bandmembers time so there's no sense rehearsing until I'm prepared.

#3 for sure

• Members

There's nothing I hate more than losing rehearsal time because someone didn't do their homework.

Don't cancel. Go to rehearsal!! BUT LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU DON'T KNOW THE NEW SONGS. I'm sure there are a zillion other things that you guys can work on. Anything is better than canceling.

And never let it happen again! :cop:

• Members

Have you considered going to mexico?

Just do what my band members do.

"are you coming to practice tonight?"

"oh, man... we have practice tonight?"

"yeah, I told you every day the past week."

"oh well I should *crackle crackle pop static*"

*click*

bastards.

• Members

Tell them that you're really busted up over your girlfriend, and that you are pricing beachfront property in SC.

If they give you any {censored}, get real passive-aggressive, and complain that they never EVER have your back.

• Members

There's nothing I hate more than losing rehearsal time because someone didn't do their homework.

Don't cancel. Go to rehearsal!! BUT LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU DON'T KNOW THE NEW SONGS. I'm sure there are a zillion other things that you guys can work on. Anything is better than canceling.

And never let it happen again!
:cop:

Exactly.

Man, don't do that bro, that's LAME.

Man up, show up, and work on your other tunes.

If I knew that I was in a band with someone who would crap-can a rehearsal because he doesn't know his parts, I'd quit in a heartbeat, cuz folks like that can't be relied on - I mean, where does it end?

i can't play this gig you booked because I'm "not ready" - yeah, that's pretty much what happens....

• Members

Yep. Be a man. Tell the truth.

But also try and learn one of the friggin songs before practice. Take an hour or two. Heck, Google for a tab if you have to. But show up and demonstrate that you've made some effort.

Exactly - otherwise you're just bein lazy bro, unless you're at a funeral, there's really no excuse for not making an attempt.

Hopefully you're not doing this too much - that's a sure fire way to bust up a band before you even get a gig.

I'm not gonna call you lazy, cuz I don't know - but don't be lazy - that's the easiest way I know of to get canned from a band (or just have it tank) - laziness. :wave:

Archived