Sometimes I think John Lennon was right.........

New Trail

• Members

As dogtownmax pointed out some time back, Lennon never said that, Groucho Marx did. So the quote has little or nothing to do with band politics.

Secondly, I don't really like the misogynistic undertones of this thread. Yes, I've dealt with band members wives/girfriends/whatevers sticking their nose into band business. But I've seen and heard an equal amount of, "Hey, my buddy Ray was at our last gig, and HE says..."

If you're not in the band, you shouldn't be at practices and taking part in deciding what to do. I vent to my wife and use her as a sounding board, and she gives me her opinion, but she stays out of the actual process.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No girlfriends, wives, biaesed people at rehearsal. Done deal. No prob. But not allowing ANYONE is different. Having fans at your rehearsals can be motivating and make things more fun. I see that quite often, and the never try to interject, they just hang out and tell us they like the stuff.

• Members
Righto, because John Lennon would never have let a woman interfere in his band.....

LOL. To the OP, I think it extends beyond women. Anyone who's not a part of the band or directly contributed shouldn't have a significant say in internal band affairs. Everybody has got their own opinion about something, but some people need to STFU :wave:

• Members

Dude... my buddy TOTALLY had a situation like that last week in his band!! This chick was at rehearsal and was dictating how the tempo of the song should work and even telling him what breaks to play before going into the chorus!! Oh wait.... she is the band's bass player.... nevermind...

• Members
Dude... my buddy TOTALLY had a situation like that last week in his band!! This chick was at rehearsal and was dictating how the tempo of the song should work and even telling him what breaks to play before going into the chorus!! Oh wait.... she is the band's bass player.... nevermind...

:lol:

• Members

I keep reading about "rules" about guests not coming to rehearsal. Unsolicited comments from spouses, significant others, etc. - have never been an issue in any of the bands I've played in - so it's somewhat uncharted territory for me. However on general principal - I've been living with rules .... all day, every day for 50+ years - and I'll be damned if I'd put up with arbitrary rules like "nobody is allowed at rehearsal except band members".

That said - if any guests that I decide to bring with me decided to cross a line and start with unsolicited advise - they wouldn't need to STFU - I'd shut 'em TFU. Neither will I to tell any of my geezer band buddies that they can't have guests accompany them to rehearsals. If they feel the urge - go with what feels good. Just like I'd have no trouble telling my guest to STFU if they cross a line - I'm certainly not shy about letting somebody else's guest know about their lack of standing in any band decision making.

• Members

Secondly, I don't really like the misogynistic undertones of this thread.

You're so right, I mean liberated women fought long and hard to show how stupid, narrow minded, feeble and weak men are and they've done a damn good job of proving it!

• Members
LOL. To the OP, I think it extends beyond women. Anyone who's not a part of the band or directly contributed shouldn't have a significant say in internal band affairs. Everybody has got their own opinion about something, but some people need to STFU
:wave:

I agree. Basically, unless you're the lead vocalist, this applies. Drummer, guitar players, bass players and banjo players should know their place. :cop:

• Members

However on general principal - I've been living with rules .... all day, every day for 50+ years - and I'll be damned if I'd put up with arbitrary rules like "nobody is allowed at rehearsal except band members".

It should be a "rule" that everyone in the band agrees on, because in the end it helps everyone in the band. Band members can tell spouses who might want to come to rehearsals, "Sorry, we have a rule - if everybody's spouses and friends showed up it'd be too distracting so we're just saying no one's can" and thus take the heat of him/herself at home. And in turn, each band member knows that nobody else's annoying spouse/significant other/friend/groupie/hanger-on will show up at rehearsal and make life difficult.

So it's hardly arbitrary. It serves a good purpose for everyone.

Now if you've never had an issue with it then more power to ya - but it is an issue that happens a LOT in bands and this is a good way to deal with it. There's really no good reason for anyone else to be at rehearsals anyway, unless they work for the band in some way.

• Members
Anyone who's not a part of the band or directly contributed shouldn't have a significant say in internal band affairs. Everybody has got their own opinion about something, but some people need to STFU
:wave:

Yeah... as an audio engineer I sometimes have clients who want to bring anywhere from one to a whole "posse" of people to their recording sessions, and more often than not it's a nightmare. They're usually in the way, and expecting to have input, and expecting to be paid attention to... and talking while I'm trying to get levels... and getting drunk/high and passing out or puking because they have nothing better to do for all those hours... etc.

Fun stuff.

• Members

No girlfriends, wives, biaesed people at rehearsal. Done deal. No prob. But not allowing ANYONE is different. Having fans at your rehearsals can be motivating and make things more fun. I see that quite often, and the never try to interject, they just hang out and tell us they like the stuff.

I disagree. "Fans" at a rehearsal make it a performance, not a rehearsal IMO.

• Members

If I judge that the S.O. has some knowledge of music and good intentions for the band as a whole, I might listen to the opinion at least. If not, I might humor him/her for 30 seconds before I turned into a royal bitch. :lol:

...and I'm all about some ice cream trucks showing up... :poke:

• Members
You're so right, I mean liberated women fought long and hard to show how stupid, narrow minded, feeble and weak men are and they've done a damn good job of proving it!

Since were on that topic, sort of, over the years I have read 3 articles that really have stood out in my memory about women in the world today.

first article was in GQ, was a CEO of a fortune 500 company. The summary of the article was that he felt "liberated women" in the workplace ruined corporate america, by demanding equal rights, and rules against harassment. He said that because of all the new rules and regulations, the 'old' method of ribbing and harassing each other separated the cream from the curd. Strong willed and smart people got promoted while weak people who couldn't handle pressure and harassment were generally not promoted. That all changed with women in the corporate workforce and the end result (in his opinion) was a company ladder with weaklings at all levels, many of which were not mentally qualified for the jobs they held.

Second article was a woman who got professionally made up as a man, fake mustache and all.. She lived the life of a man for a year as part of an investigative story. She hung out with the guys, dated women, etc...
Her summary of everything boiled down to: Women expect men to speak and act on the women's level (mentality), and get upset and tend to punish them when they don't; but men, rarely, if ever, expect the woman to communicate with him on his level.

Third article was about the movies, romantic comedies to be specific. The author noted that almost all movies, especially the romantic comedies, have transformed men into a stereotypical category of being aloof, slobby, not very bright, mentally lost, almost all negative qualities; and then they always meet a smarter woman who is successful, bright, clean, all positive qualities, and she always ends up transforming him into a "presentable" man by the end of the movie, a man who can't live without a smarter woman behind him to keep him in check.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any of those articles...just putting them out there for those of you who want to fling poo over them :eek:

• Members

Since were on that topic, sort of, over the years I have read 3 articles that really have stood out in my memory about women in the world today.

first article was in GQ, was a CEO of a fortune 500 company. The summary of the article was that he felt "liberated women" in the workplace ruined corporate america, by demanding equal rights, and rules against harassment. He said that because of all the new rules and regulations, the 'old' method of ribbing and harassing each other separated the cream from the curd. Strong willed and smart people got promoted while weak people who couldn't handle pressure and harassment were generally not promoted. That all changed with women in the corporate workforce and the end result (in his opinion) was a company ladder with weaklings at all levels, many of which were not mentally qualified for the jobs they held.

Second article was a woman who got professionally made up as a man, fake mustache and all.. She lived the life of a man for a year as part of an investigative story. She hung out with the guys, dated women, etc...

Her summary of everything boiled down to: Women expect men to speak and act on the women's level (mentality), and get upset and tend to punish them when they don't; but men, rarely, if ever, expect the woman to communicate with him on his level.

Third article was about the movies, romantic comedies to be specific. The author noted that almost all movies, especially the romantic comedies, have transformed men into a stereotypical category of being aloof, slobby, not very bright, mentally lost, almost all negative qualities; and then they always meet a smarter woman who is successful, bright, clean, all positive qualities, and she always ends up transforming him into a "presentable" man by the end of the movie, a man who can't live without a smarter woman behind him to keep him in check.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any of those articles...just putting them out there for those of you who want to fling poo over them
:eek:

Unless you've been absent from planet Earth for a while it's pretty obvious that the US has long ago become a socialized feminazi society and it's probably to late to save it. Women are even more aware of it than men are, they'll tell you.

I guess what really amazes me is that in 2000 years of recorded history, great societies have allowed the same type of stupidity to be their downfall time after time........unbelievable. I no longer concern myself over it, screw it! At this point I'd just recommend preparing for the collapse, otherwise, carry on!

Obviously though this is no place to get into this discussion.

• Members
No, this is definitely not the right place for this discussion.
:rolleyes:

Lee, I would have never turned down that road if I hadn't felt that women are perfectly capable of standing up for themselves and making their opinions known, without Prince Charming rushing to their aid.:)

• Members
Lee, I would have never turned down that road if I hadn't felt that women are perfectly capable of standing up for themselves and making their opinions known, without Prince Charming rushing to their aid.
:)

You're right, and this woman's opinion is that this discussion belongs in a different forum. ;)

Archived