Best music documentary or live concert movie?

Baldrick

• Members

So what are the best music movies you have seen? It could be both documentaries and live concert movies. Something that inspired you, taught you something, touched you, made you want to play for days on end or made you want to burn your instrument.

I need some recommendations here!

I'll start with a couple of mine:

Live:

- Bruce Springsteen at the Hammersmith Odeon 1975

- Led Zep (The song remains the same)

- Stevie Ray Vaughan (Montreaux Jazz festival 1982 and 1985)

- Guns n' Roses at the Ritz 1988

Documentaries:

- Wings for wheels (The making of Born to run)

- Iron Maiden (The early days)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hmmm...best live concert film I've ever seen would be "Queen Rocks Montreal" which went by several different names over the years. It shows them at a time in their history when they still had their youthful energy, but had ditched a lot of the frills from the glam days.

Best documentary would be "Some Kind of Monster" simply because it depicts just how much fame can be a mixed blessing. It also shows how bloated and ludicrous most rock bands truly are behind the scenes.

• Members

Rock n Roll Circus, if only for The Who's Performance, which blows my mind everytime I watch it.

Also Song Remains the Same.

Documentary:

The Kids Are Alright - The Who. Not so much a documentry as a butch of Who stuff thrown together by a couple super fans that was lost, then found again.

Edit:

How could I have forgotten The Wall.

• Members

Best documentary would be "Some Kind of Monster" simply because it depicts just how much fame can be a mixed blessing. It also shows how bloated and ludicrous most rock bands truly are behind the scenes.

I agree.

And if that whole Napster debacle were not enough, every time Lars opens his mouth I want to round house his puny little head. What a whiney little bitch that tosser is. :mad:

• Members

Eh, I own The Last Waltz and have watched it a couple times. It doesn't really hold my interest. Pretty boring actually. And I like The Band.

I'm gonna come out of left field and say Dream Theater Live At Budokan. The accompanying documentary with it is pretty sweet too. That and Score, actually. Both great concert vids and have great documentaries with them.

• Members

Queensryche - Operation:Livecrime

Rush in Rio

The Decline of Western Civilization - poor Chris Holmes...

I dig those, what do they call them?, those shows where they take an album like Rumors and interview all the musicians about it, sit behind the mixing board and solo tracks for you to see how things were done... there are several. Fleetwood Mac - Rumors, Maiden - Number of the Beast, Floyd - Dark Side, Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bullocks, U2 - Unforgettable Fire, etc.

I've watched all of the Behind the Musics and sadly, they are all the same story, over and over... but still very cool.

Austin City Limits are still cool.

I've bought bootleg concerts from Ebay over the years. VH from '83. Queensryche from Rage for Order, Sammy Hagar from '83. All of which are pretty poor quality. You can punch in some titles on Youtube and get the same quality, is what I mean.

I've got about 40 or so DVD's. 30 old VHS tapes (Soundgarden's BadMotorVision stands out).

Instructional DVD's typically leave me flat. I did buy a Modes course from TruFire that I think is VERY inspiring though. Brad Carlton Theory a'la Mode. Brad is a great teacher.

• Members

Concert: Iron Maiden's Long Beach Arena concert ("Live After Death")

Documentary: Either the first part of "History of Iron Maiden: The Early Years" or "Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica". The former because I'm an unrepentant Maiden fan, and the latter because it sort of shows Metallica right before they went off the deep end into lameness. It's also another great example of how Lars has *always* been a douchebag.

• Members

I love AC/DC "Live at Donnington". Totally kick ass concert by the band that (IMO) defines hard rock-n-boogie. Strange thing about it is, no matter how loud I crank up the volume, I always want to turn it up more!

+1000000 on this one,gets me rockin everytime!

• Members

I'd like to add Dig about the Brian Jonestown Massacre to the list. Also Fearless Freaks about the Flaming Lips. Those guys came from a {censored} part of Oklahoma and started creating music that was more creative and innovative than most of what was being heard in metropolitan cities worldwide.

Archived