Best music documentary or live concert movie?

Baldrick

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Documentary? Another State of Mind. It documents the first real national punk tour; featured Social Distortion, Youth Brigade, Minor Threat, and others. Really cool to see a bunch of kids do a DIY tour completely on their own, from renovating a school bus to booking an entire tour completely separate from any sort of existing rock establishment.

I'm going to have to check this one out.

• Members

By far the most interesting stuff for me is behind the scenes stuff that shows rehearsing or recording sessions. I'm not very interested in the lives and personal history of the artists. I'm really only interested in the nuts and bolts of making the art. I wish there was more stuff out there like that...

• Members

Best documentary would be "Some Kind of Monster" simply because it depicts just how much fame can be a mixed blessing. It also shows how bloated and ludicrous most rock bands truly are behind the scenes.

I have seen parts of this one now, and it kind of reminds me of "This is Spinal Tap".:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Many good ones listed! Pompeii, Shadows. Documentary-wise, any of the Robert Johnson ones are good. Also, Rising Low the documentary Mike Gordon (Phish bassist) directed concerning Gov't Mule's recording of their "Deep End" albums, the death of bassist Allen Woody, and bass players and music, was very good. The "throat-singing" movie about Paul Pena, Genghis Blues, is awesome, too. I'm sure there are more I'll think of...

• Members

Down from the Mountain

-I love The Last Waltz, but I've got a copy of the 'unvarnished, un-dubbed' version of the audio and it kinda kills it for me. It's still a great movie, but Robbie's pretensions and Richard's inebriation are a turn-off. On an up-note, Levon is dead-on throughout the entire show, the only one not overdubbed afterwards for the final mix and the only one that didn't need to be.

I also don

• Members
Many good ones listed! Pompeii, Shadows. Documentary-wise, any of the Robert Johnson ones are good. Also,
Rising Low
the documentary Mike Gordon (Phish bassist) directed concerning Gov't Mule's recording of their "Deep End" albums, the death of bassist Allen Woody, and bass players and music, was very good. The "throat-singing" movie about Paul Pena,
Genghis Blues
, is awesome, too. I'm sure there are more I'll think of...

:thu: Thumbs up for "Rising Low" and "The Deepest End". A lot of people don't realize how much Woody, Warren, & Matt are respected by so many legendary players in the music business.

• Members

I got to see The Mule twice when "Big Al" was alive. Awesome shows, both! Ironically, since they've added Danny on keys, I've yet to go to their show.

I thought about listing the Beacon ABB show, but I was scared about the pre/post Dickey (or pre/post Berry, or Duane, etc.) discussion I'd start!

jamieb
+++++

• Members

I got to see The Mule twice when "Big Al" was alive. Awesome shows, both! Ironically, since they've added Danny on keys, I've yet to go to their show.

I thought about listing the Beacon ABB show, but I was scared about the pre/post Dickey (or pre/post Berry, or Duane, etc.) discussion I'd start!

jamieb

+++++

I got to see Woody once with ABB and once with the Mule. Since then I've seen the Mule over 20 times and ABB about 10. If you haven't seen "The Deepest End" final tribute to Woody in New Orleans, go out and get it immediately. It is way better than "The Last Waltz" and features a ton of world class musicians.

Dickey will always be one of the "bros" to me, but Warren & Derek with Otiel Berbrige on bass are the best lineup since Duane,Dickey,& Berry.

• Members

I got to see Woody once with ABB and once with the Mule. Since then I've seen the Mule over 20 times and ABB about 10. If you haven't seen "The Deepest End" final tribute to Woody in New Orleans, go out and get it immediately. It is way better than "The Last Waltz" and features a ton of world class musicians.

Dickey will always be one of the "bros" to me, but Warren & Derek with Otiel Berbrige on bass are the best lineup since Duane,Dickey,& Berry.

Truth. I saw one of the very last shows with Dickey (he played 2 with them after the one I saw), and they didn't just fire him for the hell of it. The Warren/Derek/Oteil lineup is a hell of a lot better than the Dickey/Derek days. I think most of the people who bitched about Dickey being fired were reacting to emotions based on his status as an icon, rather than folks like myself who were actually at some of the shows were Dickey was playing {censored} and making an ass of himself. As for the music itself, it's really no contest, imo. I'd love to see him get his {censored} together and get back in the fold. He and Warren used to play some pretty incredible {censored} together.

• Members
"Running down a dream" Tom Petty...Is one of my favs..Music is great.

That is a great choice! I bought that at Best Buy after missing most of it on IFC and waiting (and waiting...endlessly) for it to be re-broadcast...and it never was (to my knowledge).

Worth the money for sure. :)

• Members

Best all time- All three of the Pantera home videos. You can't get anything better than Dimebag's own footage, he edited himself to give to us.

Lamb Of God- Walk With Me In Hell. Shows a band really breaking into the big-time and how they've held it together.

Dream Theater- Live Scenes From NY. I was there that night, (all day actually), it was a great show for the band at a real high point in their career....good feeling in the air that night. That and I'm on the DVD repeatedly. :lol:

Metallica- A Year And A Half Of and Some Kind Of Monster. Back in the day, a Year And A...really showed me about working in a studio and a general idea of how recording works. It also made the word "{censored}" a cemented go-to word.

Some Kind Of Monster was interesting...I think people needed to see the more human side of those guys. And yeah, Lars was and probably aways be a douchebag-nozzle.

Archived