Best music documentary or live concert movie?

Baldrick

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i'm not going to mention anything that's been said before, so off the top of my head:

refused are {censored}in dead
a documentary of the final days of the most influential metal / hardcore band of the late 90s. sad, pathetic, self-absorbed, yet epic and inspiring at the same time.

nine inch nails rehearsal sessions
not really a video, but a collection of made for youtube style clips that absolutely ROCK. i can't believe these are actually live, the sound is so good. the jam space of the gods. 'the collector' is a great performance.

metal: a headbanger's journey
a metalhead's thesis paper turned film about the history of metal and its subculture. those norwegian black metal dudes are srsly {censored}ed up.

• Members

Did anyone mention "Roy Orbison - A Black and White Night"
That's a great one if for no other reason than the backing band included Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen, James Burton Bonnie Raitt and K.D. Lang. All of them were volunteers, and just played as the back-up band (with the King's old TCB band...). Brilliant.

• Members

Hail, Hail Rock and Roll

Keith Richards is the musical director of the Chuck Berry /tribute/concert. During the rehersals where he is making Berry go over stuff and not just slop it together as hes is prone to do kills me. IF looks could kill. Berry and Richards both look like they are about to slug the other at times.

And then during the actual performance, Berry strolls over to Richards and whispers that they are going to change keys in the middle of the song. Richrds stares him down and shakes his head "No, We Are Not!".

Great film for anyone that wants to see a whole slew of people paying tribute to an innovator. And how he works with them during the show. HE was cantankorus and at the same time feeling like he was never given enough recogniition. Lots of fun.

+1000! Although, I can't believe no one has mentioned Bob Marley's "Legend" doc, hands down, one of the best!

• 9 months later...

Archived