Paying for water (!!) at a bar/club/venue

tim_7string

• Members

Last night, I went out to a local rock club to check out a decent band.

Anyway, I rarely drink and since I'm usually the designated driver, I almost never drink at a club. I order Cokes and usually tip the waitresses pretty well to make up for it (it cost $1 per Coke for myself and my girlfriend so I gave a dollar tip per trip for her trouble).

However, when I asked her if I could have a water to go along with the Coke, she informed me that the management changed their policy on that and don't give out 'free' water anymore. If I wanted a water, I had to buy a bottled one for a dollar. This policy wasn't in effect the previous month when I saw a band at the same place. I was livid and my girlfriend was equally irritated, so we only ordered one more Coke each for the rest of the night (we were there for hours) and vowed never to frequent that place ever again. I already paid $10 a ticket to see the band and I can't even get some WATER to go with my pop? Sheesh...:facepalm:

Has anyone else experienced this? And what do you think about it?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Last night, I went out to a local rock club to check it out a decent band.

Anyway, I rarely drink and since I'm usually the designated driver, I almost never drink at a club. I order Cokes and usually tip the waitresses pretty well to make up for it ($1 per Coke for myself and my girlfriend plus a dollar tip per trip for her trouble).

However, when I asked her if I could have a water to go along with the Coke, she informed me that the management changed their policy on that and don't give out 'free' water anymore. If I wanted a water, I had to buy a bottled one for a dollar. This policy wasn't in effect the previous month when I saw a band at the same place. I was livid and my girlfriend was equally irritated, so we only ordered one more Coke each for the rest of the night (we were there for hours) and vowed never to frequent that place ever again. I already paid $10 a ticket to see the band and I can't even get some WATER to go with my pop? Sheesh...
:facepalm:

Has anyone else experienced this? And what do you think about it?

I would have told her that I have just changed my policy of spending money freely and leaving a good tip. :idea:

If that ever happened to me, I would leave immediately and leave a penny on the table for a tip.

• Members

There's a place here that does this, and I don't go there often although it's not directly related to that policy. I do take it as a sign that the place isn't really focused on keeping customers happy, and it is reflected in other ways that they operate.

• Members

A good server knows how to make their customer's happy, because they know that is where their income is made.

Every soda fountain I have ever seen has a "water" tab on it; would it have been too much for her to draw you a glass of water from it?

A penny on the table and an abrupt exit is the way to go here.

• Members

Leaving a penny for a tip for something that the server has no control over is wrong.

Sure, there may be a water tab on the fountain, but it may be that the server could get fired or fined for using it, given the stupidity of the owner and the new policy.

The right thing to do is to find the manager, and unload on him or her.

I have had numerous jobs were tips were the main paycheck. The only time a poor tip is warranted is if the server were surly, or the service was seriously really bad, and I knew it was the server's fault (not, say, the cooks in the kitchen).

• Members

Leaving a penny for a tip for something that the server has no control over is wrong.

Sure, there may be a water tab on the fountain, but it may be that the server could get fired or fined for using it, given the stupidity of the owner and the new policy.

The right thing to do is to find the manager, and unload on him or her.

I have had numerous jobs were tips were the main paycheck. The only time a poor tip is warranted is if the server were surly, or the service was seriously really bad, and I knew it was the server's fault (not, say, the cooks in the kitchen).

No, it's not wrong.

Good server's know how to serve their customers.

A good server would have seen your discontent, and brought the manager to your table herself if she felt uncomfortable violating the policy.

A lousy server will force your hand - if you have to go to the manager yourself, even though you expressed your discontent to the server, then what does that say about the quality of the server?

Not much, I'm afraid.

This server found it more important to serve her manager than her customer, and she should be tipped accordingly. :idea:

I too have had jobs in foodservice, and the #1 rule is: if the customer is unhappy for any reason, than YOU get the manager to the table.

That 1 cent tip should be considered a life lesson for that server - your customer comes first, ALWAYS.

• Members

No, it's not wrong.

Good server's know how to serve their customers.

A good server would have seen your discontent, and brought the manager to your table herself if she felt uncomfortable violating the policy.

A lousy server will force your hand - if you have to go to the manager yourself, even though you expressed your discontent to the server, then what does that say about the quality of the server?

Not much, I'm afraid.

This server found it more important to serve her manager than her customer, and she should be tipped accordingly.
:idea:

I too have had jobs in foodservice, and the #1 rule is: if the customer is unhappy for any reason, than YOU get the manager to the table.

That 1 cent tip should be considered a life lesson for that server - your customer comes first, ALWAYS.

I don't know if she was a good server or a bad server, but I know she was a meek, apologetic server. It wasn't her fault, she was just telling me what the bosses told her and I don't blame her. She didn't say it with a haughty, "what the {censored} are YOU gonna do about it" attitude like I've seen some {censored}ty waitresses do at other bars.

Still, by default, I made it obvious that she wasn't going to get anymore tips from me because of that stupid policy. I felt by doing that, maybe she would get disgruntled and complain to the boss about what happened when she told me that they charge for water. Then again, it was probably so negligible next to all the people happy to consume costly booze, why bother (and possibly lose her job over it)? It was in her best interest to try to negotiate something with the manager to make the customer happy but we're only two people and probably the only two people that reacted that way. A minor annoyance to a bar owner, like a mosquito on a hippo.

She did make an effort to come over to our table several times throughout the night, no matter how many times we said "no," so that was cool. I suppose I could have let her know that we would not be ordering any more drinks for the entire night, so don't waste your time coming over to us, but I felt a little vindictive I guess.

I did consider talking directly to one or both of the owners (I've met and talked with them before about a possible job months ago), but I decided against it. Boycotting them and telling other people about my experience is all they deserve for that idiotic decision.

And the reason I didn't leave right away is because I came to see a {censored}ing band. I arrived early, my girlfriend was in discomfort (she has nerve damage in her leg from an accident at work) and we paid $20. No way was I going to waste that money and time just to make a point. I wanted my money's worth for my entertainment. After that was fulfilled, yes, I will no longer go there, but why just give them $20 for nothing? Not a chance.

To me, it's just another reason why I don't like to go out and see other bands these days...and I can understand why the pay is low and so is attendance in general, with the {censored} some of these places are pulling...

• Members

The only "life lesson" for the server, is that the customer is a hot-head, and to spit in his drink the next time.

If you knew what goes on in the kitchens and back rooms of restaurants and bars, you would never tick off your server with an insult tip, and if you did, don't ever go back. I worked in a very expensive country inn and restaurant in New England where it was common amongst the meaner servers to do unspeakable things to such customer's food and drink.

Besides, you never know what the future brings. Some who work in bars and restaurants spend their careers doing that. Stiff a server today, and next year her or she may work at the bar you want to get a gig at. All of a sudden its, "I don't know why they won't hire us".

For example, we used to regularly play this one popular bar about an hour away. Always had a good response. All of a sudden they would not talk to us on the phone, and were always busy when we went there.

Turns out that on one gig there, we had a drummer temporarily replace ours due to illness. That drummer had bad blood with the bar's owner. We found out about it the hard way. It took an ownership change at the bar to get back in.

Treating people who do not deserve it like {censored} is never a good idea.

• Members

A good server knows how to make their customer's happy, because they know that is where their income is made.

Every soda fountain I have ever seen has a "water" tab on it; would it have been too much for her to draw you a glass of water from it?

When I played at the Wild Buffalo in Bellingham WA they had a table off to the side of the dance floor with washable plastic pint cups and pitchers of ice water. John, the owner, is a socially responsible guy and accommodates the public as much as he can. It hasn't hurt his business any.

• Members

The only "life lesson" for the server, is that the customer is a hot-head, and to spit in his drink the next time.

If you knew what goes on in the kitchens and back rooms of restaurants and bars, you would never tick off your server with an insult tip, and if you did, don't ever go back.

Of course I'd never go back - that's the point.

I can see you're a real customer oriented person, a true boon to the service industry.

Now tell me: Where do you work, so I can make sure to never set foot there?

The bottom line is she should have gotten the manager, that's rule #1 in the service industry.

You should probably take up a different line of work if you feel the need to spit in someone's drink just because they asked for a glass of water.

Leaving a small tip is not "Treating someone like {censored}" you assclown, it's called a "gratuity" - if the service was not acceptable, then the gratuity reflects that.

You're not entitled to a tip - but I'll give you one anyway - spitting in food is a crime, and is a despicable thing to even suggest.

I'll end with this - I wasn't there but 9 times out of 10 I give the server the benefit of the doubt; if she was truly meek and seemed overwhelmed, I'd tip her well and give the manager an earful - attitude goes a long way.

But if the server had your attitude, not only would I stiff you, I'd complain to the manager AND never set foot in your place again.

And If I ever, ever thought or suspected you spit in my food - it's on bro, you don't pull that {censored} with me.

• Members

Of course I'd never go back - that's the point.

I can see you're a real customer oriented person, a true boon to the service industry.

Now tell me: Where do you work, so I can make sure to never set foot there?

The bottom line is she should have gotten the manager, that's rule #1 in the service industry.

You should probably take up a different line of work if you feel the need to spit in someone's drink just because they asked for a glass of water.

Leaving a small tip is not "Treating someone like {censored}" you assclown, it's called a "gratuity" - if the service was not acceptable, then the gratuity reflects that.

You're not entitled to a tip - but I'll give you one anyway - spitting in food is a crime, and is a despicable thing to even suggest.

I'll end with this - I wasn't there but 9 times out of 10 I give the server the benefit of the doubt; if she was truly meek and seemed overwhelmed, I'd tip her well and give the manager an earful - attitude goes a long way.

But if the server had your attitude, not only would I stiff you, I'd complain to the manager AND never set foot in your place again.

And If I ever, ever thought or suspected you spit in my food - it's on bro, you don't pull that {censored} with me.

Please re-read my post, Wade...I never said that I did such things, but that, when working in the food industry, I saw others do it.

Leaving a penny is not a "small tip", its an insult. A small tip is 5% or so.

Have not worked in that industry in a long time...been a pro musician since sometime in the last century.

• Members

Please re-read my post, Wade...I never said that I did such things, but that, when working in the food industry, I saw others do it.

Leaving a penny is not a "small tip", its an insult. A small tip is 5% or so.

Have not worked in that industry in a long time...been a pro musician since sometime in the last century.

It's cool man - sorry I went off but that {censored} sickens me.

It sickens me to know there are assholes like that in kitchens, it's a disgrace to the industry.

Like I said, if I'm gonna leave an insult tip - it's only AFTER the food is served and for sure I am NOT coming back to that joint.

• Members

It's cool man - sorry I went off but that {censored} sickens me.

It sickens me to know there are assholes like that in kitchens, it's a disgrace to the industry.

Like I said, if I'm gonna leave an insult tip - it's only AFTER the food is served and for sure I am NOT coming back to that joint.

No problem!:wave:

• Members

One of the clubs we play at makes the band pay for all of our drinks and they usually won't give you water from the tap, you have to buy bottled water. So I usually just buy a small bottle and go out to the car and refill it during the breaks.

• Members

Drink alcohol - Pay for it

Ask for water - they want to charge - say you don't have money left. Make sure to have witness with you.

Leave bar - crash car - higher a lawyer. You will win.

A bit extreme but take one for the team.

• Members

The bar I play at has no problem with supplying me with water - even if I'm not drinking that night. And by the pitcher too.

I agree with Wade - I would have asked for the manager myself though and inquired as to why I had to buy bottled water instead getting a glass or pitcher of ice water.

Back in '81 when The Empire Strikes Back first hit the theaters, one of the more popular cinemas thought that they could cash in on the folks waiting in line for hours in the 90+ degree heat by selling cups of water. After a couple of heat strokes, the police made them give it away for free.

• Members

Almost all of the bars around here charge for water. The bands might get free water, a couple of bottles per member, or it's pitchers of water. The customers have to pay for it. That's why I drink beer. Never get mad getting charged for a beer, and if I get a free one or two..it's a bonus :)

• Members

I don't think they inventory their tap water!:thu:

• Members

I think you're being unreasonable. Prices go up all the time and 1.00 is fair price for a bottle of water.

What are they using to mix their soda syrup with then? Hmmm....

IF the water ain't drinkable, then the soda isn't either.

Like I said, every damn soda fountain on this planet has a water tap, right there.

It has to - how do you think that soda is created?

That's right - from syrup, water, and CO2. :idea:

I'm not paying a buck for bottled water if I've already paid 10 bucks for door, and am buying drinks and tipping the waitress besides.

No way.

Archived