So I learned six songs last night

Kramerguy

• Members

For tonight's practice. I'm getting really good at committing tons of songs to memory in short timeframes. But anyways... one of the songs is "hit me with your best shot". Spent the most time of the whole night (maybe an hour) on the solo. But I got it down.

Anyways.. was just listening to a few songs and started tooling around on youtube and wanted to see how others are doing it...

And I just had to share this- How can people post such an epic fail? Or am I over critical?? The guitarists IMO ruined the song. Singer was okay.. but my god.. Those solos... :facepalm:

rNk9YzHHFsk

• Members

The 2nd solo flubbed a few notes and was really out front in the mix, but then again it sounded like the camera mic was pointed right at his half-stack.

I've seen much, much, much, much worse.

What stood out more to me was the pitchy vocals - she kept going sharp on the choruses. :facepalm:

• Members

The 2nd solo flubbed a few notes and was really out front in the mix, but then again it sounded like the camera mic was pointed right at his half-stack.

I've seen much, much, much, much worse.

What stood out more to me was the pitchy vocals - she kept going sharp on the choruses.
:facepalm:

Just seemed to me that they were more interested in trying to show off than do the song any justice. The singing was the better part of the song to me. I like the way she moved her hips :love:

• Members

The word that came to my mind was "wanking." It seems the two guitarists, especially the first one, wish they were in a band where shredding guitars solos were the M.O. of the band, rather than doing Pat Benatar covers.

yep, that was my thought. I guess what irritated me the most was the first lead learning a couple of the 'easy' hooks of the solo and wanking the other 95% of it. I learned it note for note and had it down in an hour, and I'm not a great lead player by any stretch. I think it was just laziness on the lead part, and that wah on the second solo ... ugh..

Ok lol, I'm done bitching about it, half of me thought it was funny fail, and the other half of me just got irritated at just how low some bands move the bar of acceptability.

• Members

Just seemed to me that they were more interested in trying to show off than do the song any justice. The singing was the better part of the song to me. I like the way she moved her hips
:love:

And Neil Geraldo (Benatar's guitarist) didn't step to the front of the stage and let 'er rip in the vein of Neal Schon?

[YOUTUBE]g4rPIjWqMRc#t=1m39s[/YOUTUBE]

Now I'm confused....:confused:

If nothing else the guitarists should have been a little more animated IMO, and the 2nd guitarists use of wah was way over the top.

• Members

Sounded like a cover band to me. Vocals werent fantastic in the choruses....and the second solo wasn't very good at all. I liked the first one - I didnt see anything "wrong" with it - unless you're counting it not being like the original album. BUT - he hit the high points. I'm not one of those guys that insists all solo's must be 100% accurate to the original recording tho. Certain songs - yeah - you cant just make it up - but for the most part - what the frist guy did was fine.

• Members

If you can learn those solos in a single sitting you're a reasonably mean guitarist.

It would take me a week to have them performance ready, not a day.

Like the OP I would aim for note-for-note.

(The one exception I've made so far, in the covers I've learned, is Silverchar's Tomorrow, where the solo is so nondescript that it's just

not worth learning the exact notes. As long as you hit the high point

in the right spot it's all good :S )

GaJ

• Members

So I went and listened to the original clip.

It's not your average cover band that we're looking at, I reckon.

The singer and the guitarist on our right are just kids. The bass player too, I think. The backup vocalist looks like their teacher. The guitarist on our right is a wanker along for the ride.

In the first solo he misses the signature bits, unforgivable.

I can see why the kids would have posted this: they can be proud of it!

It doesn't say what the event is: if it's a high-school show, this would be on the good side of what you might expect to see, right?

OTOH, if this is a clip of a band doing clubs, when ... fail. I don't think that's the case. The venue (when it panned around) even looked like the classic "let's do a school show in this hall" kinda place...

GaJ

• Members

I didn't really think it was all that bad. It was just mediocre. The second solo was definitely the low point.

I listened to your links, and I didn't hear a big quality difference between your bands and the one here.

Get outta here. You're just being silly.

The only thing I couldn't quickly find is an example of the OP playing a cover lead note for note.

The band material he's posted is great quality. His singers can sing. The bands are tight.

GaJ

• Members

Get outta here. You're just being silly.

The only thing I couldn't quickly find is an example of the OP playing a cover lead note for note.

The band material he's posted is great quality. His singers can sing. The bands are tight.

GaJ

The first guitar solo from the initial video even though it didn't fit stylistically was the single best thing in any of the videos. Kramer's singer was good, although I thought the very first clip of the Green Day song had some issues. Other than that, there wasn't anything in any of the videos that I really thought was particularly great or horrible.

• Members

What amazes me is that anyone would want to play or hear that song today. I was in a cover band when that tune came out-what was it 25 YEARS ago? I played the tune then and had the solos down. They weren't very difficult, but I thought they were cool at the time. I guess cover bands were expected to play it then-it was a pretty bit hit and PB was a hot singer. But now? If i was in a classic rock band now, I wouldn't touch that tune. There's so much great music out there. Gimmie some Allman Bros if you got two guitarists!!!!!!

• Members

No doubt.

He flubbed the intro section to the song too, did you catch that?

Well I edited my post cause I was being catty-that band isn't made up of pros. And the guy with PB did ok, but just ok. He should have done better. It's not a hard tune. He should have played it like the record IMO.

Edit: I listened again, and I'm back in catty mode. The guy with PB rather sucked. Terrible phrasing. Just a weak effort. Top 40 guys could do it better. Not sure about the intro, but the solo was weak.

• Members
Well I edited my post cause I was being catty-that band isn't made up of pros. And the guy with PB did ok, but just ok. He should have done better. It's not a hard tune. He should have played it like the record IMO.

Edit: I listened again, and I'm back in catty mode. The guy with PB rather sucked. Terrible phrasing. Just a weak effort. Top 40 guys could do it better. Not sure about the intro, but the solo was weak.

I'm 99% sure the guy with PB not only IS the guy on the recording but her husband and main co-writer for all of her songs, that solo included.

• Members

If you can learn those solos in a single sitting you're a reasonably mean guitarist.

There's actually just the one solo in this song. I used to do this one in a band several years ago. I found the solo quite easy to do. For me the tricky part of the song was nailing the little walk down section between the solo and the E pedal point section.

This was one of my favorites done by that band and I've sat in with them a time or two since quitting the group. I believe I'd still be quite comfortable playing this one.

• Members

I'm 99% sure the guy with PB not only IS the guy on the recording but her husband and main co-writer for all of her songs, that solo included.

I thought I heard her say " Go Scotty" just before the solo. Her husband, Neil Geraldo, was of course the guy on the record. And if that is him playing the solo , he plays it poorly, despite the fact that he wrote it. If you know the solo from the record, you can hear the poor phrasing in the solo on the vid. The guitarist looks a bit young to be Geraldo, but if it is, he's a victim of his own solo's popularity cause it's clear to me it's played much better on the record.

• Members

It is her husband in the video. She says "Go Spyder" which is his nickname. He is a real tasteful player and does take liberties with his solos live. I know I have had times when the notes I heard in my head didn't translate to the fretboard the way I envisioned.

Neil

Archived