I've never played MS or BEG in a band until this one...and you know...

zekmoe

• Members

I kind of like them. I've always played in either original music bands, or cover bands that played stuff like Rush and 80's rock. So now I'm playing in a sort of mainstream classic rock band, and our singer is really into playing what goes over (he has much experience in the gig world). So we have a couple of versions of those songs, along with others that are very much maligned here, and because I've either rarely heard them and never played them, they're pretty fresh and fun. I know music like Yes and Rush and MBV etc.. and don't know any of the 60 or so songs we're playing. So chestnuts or not, I'm having fun with most of them. Well, maybe not Higher Ground or Spooky...

• Members

I've never played MS or BEG in a band until this one

this is why you don't hate them yet. When I learned those songs I thought they were awesome. I would play one of them at least once a week. Usually more. I probably played each one at least 1000 times. After you do anything 1000 times you never want to do it again.. that's why most musicians on this forum bash those songs.

• Members

Maybe he didn't want to tackle the guitar solos.......so tasty (Atlanta Rhythm Section version).

I don't think Colin ever met a blues-based guitar solo he didn't wanna tackle.

I just think he didn't care for the tune.

Maybe he didn't know we were talking about the ARS version - I'll see if we can get that one back in the mix....

:idk:

• Members

I don't think Colin ever met a blues-based guitar solo he didn't wanna tackle.

I just think he didn't care for the tune.

Maybe he didn't know we were talking about the ARS version - I'll see if we can get that one back in the mix....

:idk:

I hated that song from day one, I don't care what version it is.

• Members

I hated that song from day one, I don't care what version it is.

You blues guitarists are all alike. :lol:

I'm pretty sure that's Colin's take on it too: he's got VERY similar tastes musically to you.

That said, I'm not into playing songs that people (in the band) hate: dude is a talented blues guitarist and there's plenty of other tunes that will work without sucking the life out of the band members.

While we're on this subject: I just wanna say that I'd rather be in a band where there's passion and conviction than to be in a situation where anything goes and there's no SOUL. I gotta have the soul: and with that comes the convictions of the players.

That's an acceptable trade-off to me. :thu:

• Members

You blues guitarists are all alike.
:lol:

I'm pretty sure that's Colin's take on it too: he's got VERY similar tastes musically to you.

That said, I'm not into playing songs that people (in the band) hate: dude is a talented blues guitarist and there's plenty of other tunes that will work without sucking the life out of the band members.

Well, it's all personal taste, isn't it? I like stuff that other guys despise. Fr'instance, I'm a big Hall and Oates fan, and I think Prince is a genius. Most blues guys would roll their eyes in disgust.

I can't 'splain it!

• Members

I'd be careful about making a statement like that. There are a couple of things that jump to mind that a blanket statement like this certainly does NOT apply to!

Maybe if sometimes I could play BEG out of Em.... or maybe do it in a Reggae style... or latin style. Or put it in it's ass if it gets drunk.

er....

oops...

nervermind.

• Members

Well, it's all personal taste, isn't it? I like stuff that other guys despise. Fr'instance, I'm a big Hall and Oates fan, and I think Prince is a genius. Most blues guys would roll their eyes in disgust.

I can't 'splain it!

Right.

At the gig saturday, I put on some break music and the song "Red Skies At Night" by The Fixx came on.

Colin looked at me and said: "I love that tune: haven't heard it in years"

Goes to show you never can tell.

• Members

The Fixx=
:love:

I met Jamie West-Oram, once, at the music store I used to work at.

The Fixx was doing a show at the Capri Theater in Montgomery, and he needed some specific 18v adapter, which we happened to have.

Genuinely nice dude.

He showed me the fingering on the chords to "Stand Or Fall". :thu:

• Members

I met Jamie West-Oram, once, at the music store I used to work at.

The Fixx was doing a show at the Capri Theater in Montgomery, and he needed some specific 18v adapter, which we happened to have.

Genuinely nice dude.

He showed me the fingering on the chords to "Stand Or Fall".
:thu:

Those guys were one of the best produced pop bands I ever heard make a record. And their songs were great. :)

• Members

Those guys were one of the best produced pop bands I ever heard make a record. And their songs were great.
:)

Agreed on all counts.

And their guitarist went against the grain by using a strat, employing harmonics tastefully, playing with restraint, and getting great tone without that over-the-top fizzy distortion that so many others were chasing at that time.

Their singer is no slouch either. :thu:

They were a band that I was not ashamed to like, even though I'd get funny looks from fellow metalheads.

• Members

What's weird is songs I hate listening to, I don't mind playing.

Nothing weird about that.

I played classical piano for 6 years and despised almost every song I had to play.

I played in marching band for 2 years: same thing.

But I'm not a solo act, so some compromise is needed when it comes to a group.

Again, I've no interest in being in a plastic band: give me soul and conviction any day vs. somebody going through the motions out of a sense of obligation.

• Members

I am heading out to play our last guest ranch gig this summer. We will be playing mustang sally,sweet home alabama, Keep your hands to yourself for sure and maybe BEG. We get fed, play maybe 2 hours home by around midnight. My share after expenses is $300.00. Say what you will about those songs but if we didn't play them then we might not be playing there. This is our eighth year at this venue. I reckon I have made at least $25,000.00 playing there.

Archived