Anyone ever thought about covering Hocus Pocus?

Ryan.

• Members

To be honest... I could see it being one of those songs, that if you just had it down pat, and busted it out in a crowded bar with no warning, I think the crowd would go nuts.

You would have to be spot on though.

• Members

It would depend on the crowd. Even WITH the Nike ad and a cover version or two done in the 80s, I don't know how many people under 45 would know that song. Done well you'd impress the hell out of the people who DID know it for sure, but you'd risk boring the rest.

Like I said, I'd PERSONALLY love to play it, but the risk of it bombing might not be worth all the time and trouble it would take to work it up.

But again, depends on the crowd and the venue. You've got a mostly over-40 musician-y type audience? It might work. A bunch of 20 and 30 somethings just there to party? Probably not.

• Members

It would depend on the crowd. Even WITH the Nike ad and a cover version or two done in the 80s, I don't know how many people under 45 would know that song. Done well you'd impress the hell out of the people who DID know it for sure, but you'd risk boring the rest.

Like I said, I'd PERSONALLY love to play it, but the risk of it bombing might not be worth all the time and trouble it would take to work it up.

But again, depends on the crowd and the venue. You've got a mostly over-40 musician-y type audience? It
might
work. A bunch of 20 and 30 somethings just there to party? Probably not.

I guess I just think about the crowd that shows to our events... I mean if you think about this song, it might as well be a demo tape for System of a Down. I could just see all my friends going nuts over it. But you're right, could just end up confusing people.

• Members

I guess I just think about the crowd that shows to our events...

Well, that's all that matters. If you think your crowd would dig it, then go for it. I would.

I could just see all my friends going nuts over it.

Just be sure you're thinking about the WHOLE crowd and not just your friends. (Depending, of course, on how much of the whole crowd consists of your friends.)

• Members

Chicks LLOOOVE to dance to that one! It really gets 'em going.....

And they LLLOOOVE to sing along with the yodeling part.....

"Yodehada dodehada dodehada dodehada dodehada dodehada doe, bum bum!"

And Akkerman plays not one, not two, but THREE smokin solos that never fails to get chicks panties off and launched to the stage.

And women are always talking about those drum breaks.....

And rich women use the accordion whistling part in a loop during their weekly therapeutic massages....

Srsly tho, epic riff.....

• Members

Chicks LLOOOVE to dance to that one! It really gets 'em going.....

And they LLLOOOVE to sing along with the yodeling part.....

"Yodehada dodehada dodehada dodehada dodehada dodehada doe, bum bum!"

And Akkerman plays not one, not two, but THREE smokin solos that never fails to get chicks panties off and launched to the stage.

And women are always talking about those drum breaks.....

And rich women use the accordion whistling part in a loop during their weekly therapeutic massages....

Srsly tho, epic riff.....

:lol: dumb

• Members

Actually, it does go over big but we use it in a medley. We only do it when the guitarists brother, an actual accordion player, shows up for the gig. We do it with Frankenstein, Tell Me Something Good and The Night Chicago Died. Seriously. It works but it is weird...maybe that

• Moderators

An old band of mine used to bust into the main riff in the middle of open sections of existing tunes. Also the main riff to Carry On Wayward Son and DP's Burn. Lot's of songs that might not work for a dance crowd are great as spontaneous plugins to existing songs in your repertoire..

Learn the riff tight. Then... you can plug it in when ever. Fun to keep things alive onstage. Like the above mentioned Frankenstien. And Cat Scratch Fever or Wang Dang Sweet Poontang?!?!?! Funky town?!??!? Popcorn? Hit Me Baby. Genie In a Bottle. Iron Man.

• Members

I have always wanted to play that song.

Closest I ever got was when my old rock band would cover "Frankenstein".

We kicked around doing "Hocus Pocus", but our focus shifted more to the umm... "Def Leppard" side of rock n roll, since we had a large female crowd.

• Members

Well, unless the entire crowd is made up of musicians around your age....
:idk:

What? You mean everybody would leave? :lol::lol:;)

What if they followed it up with a smokin redndition of The Dreg's Cruise Control? Dude...that'd PACK the floor!! Or Peaches en Regalia?;)

• Members

What? You mean everybody would leave?
:lol:
:lol:
;)

What if they followed it up with a smokin redndition of The Dreg's Cruise Control? Dude...that'd PACK the floor!! Or Peaches en Regalia?
;)

if it was done right, i'd demand to join the band immediately - Hocus Pocus then Cruise control ... wicked.

Archived