So, what makes you a Geezer Band?

RoadRanger

• Members

Not really ,, its always been about the music for me. The whole idea of guys using bands to score women is a little creepy in my opinion. I dont have alot of respect for those types.

I've been married almost 20 years. I don't try to "score" women although flattering when they make the offer. I do get enjoyment in them getting enjoyment from what I do. I like the attention. Playing is fun too, but I wouldn't want to do it if I couldn't do it in front of people.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For the record: I'm 49 and the other members ages are: 45, 51, 56 & 64. We play out twice a month by choice. If it was up to the bars, we be playing every weekend. The one concession we have made to our aging bodies is to use a sound company rather than hauling our PA anymore. I did the original thing up until the mid 80's, did the wedding band thing for 14+ years to pay bills and now do the Geezer thing to have a good time. All in all I've been in one band or another continually since I was 16. I have no intentions of quitting.

geezerrox.com

• Members
I've been married almost 20 years. I don't try to "score" women although flattering when they make the offer. I do get enjoyment in them getting enjoyment from what I do. I like the attention. Playing is fun too, but I wouldn't want to do it if I couldn't do it in front of people.

I enjoy playing for people ,, but it really doesnt matter if they are women or men ,,,, its about entertaining and the social aspects of it. Whats kinda funny is I remember back in the day that there was always some lets just say sub 10 young lady that would aways be shakin it up to california sun in front of the band stand when I was 15 playing out..... maybe that image stuck in my head ....:facepalm: Today she could be a 10 and my mind always goes back to those old teen dances. :eek:

• Members

If you go home and sleep after your gig, then you are in a geezer band.

If you go naked hot-tubbing with some groupies, then you aren't.

If you go naked hot-tubbing with Kathy Bates... well, then I can't help you.

Wow! Hubby and I have been geeezers since he was in his late 20's and I was early 30's then!! Ha ha.....

We are always wiped out after gigging.

• Members
For the record: I'm 49 and the other members ages are: 45, 51, 56 & 64. We play out twice a month by choice. If it was up to the bars, we be playing every weekend. The one concession we have made to our aging bodies is to use a sound company rather than hauling our PA anymore. I did the original thing up until the mid 80's, did the wedding band thing for 14+ years to pay bills and now do the Geezer thing to have a good time. All in all I've been in one band or another continually since I was 16. I have no intentions of quitting.

geezerrox.com

That's cool. That's the best way to approach it. Have fun... embrace it. One of the better bands in my area is an 'oldies' band that plays strictly 50's-70's hotrod music. Again they put on a great show because they are great musicians.

The funny thing is, even though we are primarilly an A list niteclub band, we have ventured into 'geezer' gig territory more than a few times this year for great money. We played 3 firehouse events, a private yacht club gig, an outdoor concert at a summer stock theatre and a Booze Cruise that caters to 50's bands. We have a fair amount of 'event' style material (Runaround Sue, Twist & Shout, Play That Funky Music) ready at hand for early in the set... so the impact of playing Bon Jovi, Journey, Run DMC, Nelly and Lady Gaga later on isn't so off putting. ;)

• Members

If you own a real Les Paul Custom that you only paid 400 dollars for when you bought it new, you might be a geezer.

If your everyday gigging rig is considered 'vintage' by everyone else, you might be a geezer.

If you don't know what a modeler, midi, sim or backing track is, you might be a geezer.

If you think Nirvana is "modern rock'', you might be a geezer.

If you think white tennis shoes onstage look cool, you might be a geezer.

When you see 21 year old girls out with their mothers and thee mothers look hotter than the daughters to you, you might be a geezer.

If your gigs are starting to be 8-12 or 7-11 instead of 9-1, you might be a geezer.

If your back is killing you by the end of the third set, and you start wishing you had a stool to sit on, you might be a geezer.

When the after hours parties turn into you going home, putting your sweats on and watching Sports Center until you fall asleep on the couch, you might be a geezer.

LMFAO!!!!! You described me perfectly. Although, I don't feel like a geezer and I still do plenty of 9:30-1:30 gigs.

I do agree that it's a state of mind. I'm 50 and still think and ack like I'm 30. Most of my life revolves around being a responsible husband and parent. It's my music life where I refuse to grow up!

• Members

If you own a real Les Paul Custom that you only paid 400 dollars for when you bought it new, you might be a geezer.

If your everyday gigging rig is considered 'vintage' by everyone else, you might be a geezer.

If you don't know what a modeler, midi, sim or backing track is, you might be a geezer.

If you think Nirvana is "modern rock'', you might be a geezer.

If you think white tennis shoes onstage look cool, you might be a geezer.

When you see 21 year old girls out with their mothers and thee mothers look hotter than the daughters to you, you might be a geezer.

If your gigs are starting to be 8-12 or 7-11 instead of 9-1, you might be a geezer.

If your back is killing you by the end of the third set, and you start wishing you had a stool to sit on, you might be a geezer.

When the after hours parties turn into you going home, putting your sweats on and watching Sports Center until you fall asleep on the couch, you might be a geezer.

This is the most Truth that has ever been written since the dawn of time.

*addendum: When doing shots with the audience is replaced by a big cup of 7-11 coffee that you stopped for on the way to the gig, you just might be a geezer.

• Members

Geezer here.

I'm not the oldest member in the band. I'm 53. Our youngest guy is 43.

I have walked into places we play and thought the cocktail waitresses looked like they should be in high school. Nope, their mothers look like old hags to me. I'm older, not blind.

I still have gear I bought in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

The first time I played Free Bird before an audience was in 1977. The most recent was this past Tuesday.

• Members

Geezer here.

I'm not the oldest member in the band. I'm 53. Our youngest guy is 43.

I have walked into places we play and thought the cocktail waitresses looked like they should be in high school. Nope, their mothers look like old hags to me. I'm older, not blind.

I still have gear I bought in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

The first time I played Free Bird before an audience was in 1977. The most recent was this past Tuesday.

We must be living parallel lives. I'm 53, not the oldest guy in the band, youngest is early 40's. I often play through my 1975 Musicman amp and most of teh guitars I use I bought new in the 80's.

• Members
We have a fair amount of 'event' style material (Runaround Sue, Twist & Shout, Play That Funky Music) ready at hand for early in the set... so the impact of playing Bon Jovi, Journey, Run DMC, Nelly and Lady Gaga later on isn't so off putting.
;)

I call.....REVERSE GEEZER-ISM!!!!! :lol:

I hope you aren't wearing hipster clothes during Runaround Sue!

• Members

I do sound more than playing these days. Band members are usually surpised to hear that I'm 40. Teaching some guitar and showing kids the newest songs keeps me current with today's music, along with all the great bands I get I hear. They usually peg me at late 20's, early 30's.

Works for me.

:thu:

• Members

There could be a whole new topic on this one....I see them all the time and I am just embarrassed for them. Even more so than the Geezers.

My uncle still gigs regularly at age 71; as he has done for most of his adult life.

You're only as old as you feel.

I bet he could teach you a thing or 10 about playing guitar, too. The man plays only Jazz these days, he got tired of country and rock.

• Members

My uncle still gigs regularly at age 71; as he has done for most of his adult life.

You're only as old as you feel.

I bet he could teach you a thing or 10 about playing guitar, too. The man plays only Jazz these days, he got tired of country and rock.

God, sometimes I really wonder if you deliberately misinterpret things or are just not very bright.

Who said anything about age? I hope to be still playing when I am 70. What I WONT be doing is still dressing like I am 20.

That is the point.

And enough of the "I/my friend/father/brother/sister/uncle can play circles around you" already. What are you, 13?

• Members

God, sometimes I really wonder if you deliberately misinterpret things or are just not very bright.

Who said anything about age? I hope to be still playing when I am 70. What I
WONT
be doing is still dressing like I am 20.

That is the point.

And enough of the "I/my friend/father/brother/sister/uncle can play circles around you" already. What are you, 13?

Well, not to pick, but if you won't be dressing like you're 20 and you won't be dressing like a geezer, what WILL you be dressing like? :poke:

• Members

Who said anything about age? I hope to be still playing when I am 70. What I
WONT
be doing is still dressing like I am 20.

That is the point.

:lol:

Archived