Folsom Prison Blues

6StringSling

• Members

As much as I hate the idea of adding country music to my song list, I know that I need to at some point. Since my musical heroes when I was in the 5-9 year range were Johnny Cash and Roy Clark (Roy Clark was the reason I bought a banjo in HS) I'm starting with Folsom Prison Blues.

I know JC generally played a Gibson acoustic (from what I remember) so I thought about using my Ibanez Artcore AG75 hollowbody (the only acoustic-like guitar I take with me) but something about this song feels to me like I should use my SX Tele copy and eschew a pick.

What do you think?

• Members

ON TOPIC: Unless you're doing it for a recording, it doesn't matter. Bar patrons, people at weddings and corporate events, and people at fairs and festivals won't worry about which guitar you're playing it on. If it sounds good, "nice", or even passable, they won't give it a second thought.

If you really want to know which to use, though, why not play it on both guitars, and see which one fits you better? You aren't Johnny Cash, you aren't going to sound exactly like Johnny Cash, the same as if Cash were alive, he wouldn't sound like you, y'know?

As much as I hate the idea of adding country music to my song list...

"Here, let me give you this fully loaded Dodge Viper!"

"But.. it's yellow. I don't drive yellow cars, only red, silver, white or green"

"It's just a paintjob.. minor stuff! It's basically the same as having a red one!"

"No! It's not yellow, I don't wanna drive it. I'll stick with my red Ford Pinto, thank you!"

;)

• Members

Luther played the signature lick on a Tele, so you should, too.

Yep, Johnny Cash's lead guitarist Luther Perkins used a Telecaster. It gives it more of that authentic sound, so I voted for the Tele. I use a cheapo Squier Affinity and it sounds remarkably close whenever we perform the song. :thu:

• Members

I suggest a pointy headstock B.C. Rich into a cranked Crate stack. Use a Digitech pedal with the word METAL somewhere in the name of it. Scoop the mids for an authentic vibe.

I opened for Chris Young (one of the winners of "Nashville Star") playing an acrylic BC Rich Warlock. Loved the looks I got. :)

• Members

I've done both, and was probably most satisfied my hollowbody Les Paul-style HB guitar, with plenty of gain and a touch of slapback. It sounded much more electric, but people always seemed to dig it. We were also a 3-piece and I was doing lead vocals, so the humbuckers sat a little better in the mix. My more trebly tele can sometimes overpower the vocals.

Archived