Inspired by the 'are you happy with ur band' thread-

Kramerguy

• Members

Picked the middle option. Playing in bands has always been about compromise for me. I've never been lucky enough to be in a situation where I could just play whatever the heck I wanted, got paid good money to do it, and the crowd just ate it all up. It's always been more about playing songs the crowd loves (and I usually don't, stuff like "Keep Your Hands To Yourself"), playing songs we both like (AC/DC's "TNT" fits here) and playing stuff I love, but the crowd could care less about ("Cars" by Gary Numan).

I'm glad I have enough of a pop sensibility to at least enjoy
most
of what I play!
:D

With my new band, it will continue on that path of compromising on songs that we all like to do and ones that we know works for the crowd. With the band named after me, it will be more of what *I* like and presenting that to people in a quality format, an entirely different approach.

Go for it. It can work. We're getting ready to add in some more Bill Withers and few other off-the-beaten path old chestnuts. If you can get a steady, and if people in your town tend to stay put like they do here, you can get a nice dedicated following that will come to see you just because they KNOW it will be something different and unexpected.

• Members

I like most of the classic rawk, though it gets old.

We have been working in dancy top 40 stuff lately, and I greatly enjoy playing that.. mostly cause the crowd gets way more into it, its a better energy and feedback.

We do some country which I hate.

• Members

I like most of the classic rawk, though it gets old.

We have been working in dancy top 40 stuff lately, and I greatly enjoy playing that.. mostly cause the crowd gets way more into it, its a better energy and feedback.

We do some country which I hate.

I can't say if that will be good for your band or not cuz I don't know your crowd but for us adding the top 40 dance stuff was the way to go...

When we started in 2002 we did almost all classic rock. Led Zep, Aerosmith, Tull, Clapton even a Rainbow tune! The few "modern" tunes we did were just modern versions of classic rock--- think very mainstream rock music like 3 doors down, MB20 and the like.

As we started adding more and more "dancy" music (just the Big 80s stuff at first) the classic rock started to fade away. The reaction to the dance stuff was almost always way better. There are a few Classic rock tunes left but not many.

• Members

The trickiest part are the tranisitions from one song to the next and that's usually where I see bands fail in this regard. Many just don't know how to 'blend' from one song into the next (beat/key matching) so instead each song transition is either loose and awkward or like hitting a brick wall with a bus. If you can master the transition process you can transform some previously undancable tunes into some pretty high energy moments.

The older guys I play with were not sold on the medley idea at first but now they see how it does turn everything up as far as the energy goes. The hardest part is getting the flow right... still working on alot of those smooth flowing moments. :lol:

• Members

I got pissed the f**i off at my guys tonight and I let em know. I'm just sick of fielding goddam complaint after f***g complaint about the "sound". The sound that is working out front. The sound that some of my bandmates suddenly think they can do a better job of then me. Well, they're gonna have to do it with their own goddam PA or a dedicated soundman, because I run my PA the way I see fit, period end of story.

Funny how some people just can't seem to tell when they're crossing the line with somebody else. They just wanna keep pushing and pushing. I pretty much went the f**k off. It wasn't pretty. But I give plenty of clues and chances to BTFO: some people just don't seem to get it so they get the direct no bull{censored} approach. I guess I'm the dick for tonight. Oh well.

Time to get a soundman. I ain't doing it anymore, under any circumstances. Want more? then give more. {censored}ers. Yeah, I'm pretty pissed. So much so I think I'm gonna start trying out for other outfits: keep my options open. I don't need this {censored}. I can join a band and just play bass and make what I'm making now without all the bull{censored}. Some people just can't ever put in a good word. Always gotta f**g nitpick and criticize. And they're always the ones with their own agenda: working against the sound of the band and just looking for any chink in the armor of the soundman to justify their own goddam inconsistency or hammer hands.

{censored} that. Learn how to play your instrument properly with the right dynamic for the room. It's part of playing music. Mezzo Forte, Forte, Pianissimo: these are dynamics. Learn how to play em. You want a {censored}ing soundman to compensate for your lack of dynamics? I'm sorry but that means you SUCK. I was playing proper dynamics at age 8. What's your goodam excuse. Is it rock and roll? Does that make you stupid or something? I'm sick of playing with dumb ass rockers that don't understand music and how to play it.

{censored}ing A: I think I'm gonna go try out and get my union card and try to hook up with some REAL players, for once in my life. i'm tired of playing with illiterate "rockers". Idiots. Hell, I'm damn near sick of rock and roll in general. Maybe I'll take up country. It's in my bones, and that {censored} has to be played with dynamics or it goes nowhere fast. I'm the only cat in this band that can read music and has put in the time with formal training on any kind of level. I know what it takes to play music the right way. It takes self control and good ears. Something that is obviously not happening with some of these cats. Yeah, I said it. Truth hurts sometimes. Time to up the game. We'll see how it goes. This could either make this band go to a higher level or it can break it. No sweat off of me: i know what has to happen and the problem ain't me.

• Members

Wade, welcome to the joys of being the band soundman.:wave: I'm lucky that in my band everyone is pro enough to watch their volume and let the PA do the work. That doesn't mean we don't have differences in opinion to how the band should be mixed. The bandleader and I make the board adjustments and for the most part we have the same tastes. He does like alot more kick in the mix than I do so we tend to compromise.

• Members

Wade, welcome to the joys of being the band soundman.
:wave:
I'm lucky that in my band everyone is pro enough to watch their volume and let the PA do the work. That doesn't mean we don't have differences in opinion to how the band should be mixed. The bandleader and I make the board adjustments and for the most part we have the same tastes. He does like alot more kick in the mix than I do so we tend to compromise.

If that's all it was with me I'd have no problem with it.

Instead, what I get to deal with is a guy insisting that he is not in the mains. He is. And it's funny, because when he's done this in the past, I'll ask Tim to go over and stand in front of the mains and he can hear the guitar just fine coming out of there.

I mix according to the meters: they don't lie. It's my equipment, so don't you think I'm making sure everything is wired up properly and functional? He's been wrong every time on this. The guy has bad ears, maybe even hearing loss, and he's taking that {censored} out on me. Left to his own devices, he'd be stupid loud and we wouldn't be keeping our gigs. We started out too loud last night.

Once more, as ALWAYS, it was the damn guitar, way too loud on stage. He sandbags the soundcheck and then cranks it later, which starts to clip his channel on the board. I made damn sure the singer saw that: he didn't like my insistence but it had to be done - I need him to know that this is what I'm dealing with, and it's not me that's being unreasonable here.

I just want my fun back, and working with that guy with the sound has become decidedly NOT FUN. He wants to get all diva, tossing around nitpicky demands, while at the same time being as loud as he likes, then he's gonna have to pay someone to take that {censored}. It ain't me.

• Members

Hey Wade, I feel ya - I'm dealing with similar issues right now, with additional personal dramas on top :( It's beyond the point of frustrating.. Which is part of why I created this topic- wondering how much songs and set lists play into the whole band mojo.

• Members

I just want my fun back, and working with that guy with the sound has become decidedly NOT FUN. .

Yeah, we've all been pissed. Reading the rant was kinda fun, tho'. Reckon we've all been there! Running sound from the stage just {censored}ing sux.

But it is a pretty easy fix tho'; back a cut out and pay a soundman. You'll be glad you did. And it is so funny how after a period of time of having a good soundman and good outfront sound, you get better gigs.....

So before you go upside douchy's head, maybe the blow up is a good thing if y'all can keep it together and wind up a year from now with a better thing than you have now.....

• Members

Yeah, we've all been pissed. Reading the rant was kinda fun, tho'. Reckon we've all been there! Running sound from the stage just {censored}ing sux.

But it is a pretty easy fix tho'; back a cut out and pay a soundman. You'll be glad you did. And it is so funny how after a period of time of having a good soundman and good outfront sound, you get better gigs.....

So before you go upside douchy's head, maybe the blow up is a good thing if y'all can keep it together and wind up a year from now with a better thing than you have now.....

Yeah, that could be an option for sure. It may be the best one we have. Thinking about it, all the issues have been him and sound related. But if we do get a soundman, guitar is going to have to listen when he says "turn that {censored} down". In a small room, too loud is too loud and there ain't a soundman in the world that can fix that. Just pack up the PA and leave. We gotta be careful not to go all gonzo with the volume or we'll "Sound Good" and lose our gigs. Happens a lot around here.

Yeah, I did go a little Buddy Rich up there, didn't I? LOL

You should have seen me on the back deck of the club in between sets. I damn near broke a table. Nobody was around except my G/F and one of her friends. Thank god.

And of course I finally talk my G/F into coming and see us and we {censored}ing sucked. Just stunk up the goddamn place. Awful. Way too loud guitar, clams everywhere, vox were off. Drummer and I were the only ones playing worth a damn it seemed like. Horrible gig. One more like that and I don't know what I'm going to do.

{censored}ing embarassing. :facepalm:

• Members

Wade, what is the deaf dumbass guitar player using for an amp?

Non master volume Marshall super lead clone.

Yeah.

He was bringing out the tweed. Much better fit. He's back on that goddamn Marshall now. {censored}. I tried to gently ask him to leave that elephant gun at home. I've been not so gentle about asking him to leave it at home. He got an attenuator, used it like twice and now it's disappeared and it's the same dumb {censored} all over again.

{censored}

Now I've got the clown parade from worthless-ass craigslist. One guy has "3 projects" - didn't mention gigs and I'd never heard of any of em, said he'll "think about it" (*he's probably stuck in the basement and will stay there*)

next guy saw our songlist and declined, saying he wants blues rock "ala Hendrix/Trower/Cream". Guess he didn't notice the Cream and Hendrix and Srv in our sets. More likely he wants to do ONLY that type of music. Yeah, another stuck in the basement guy. Ain't nobody gigging that {censored} around here. Not exclusively. Who the {censored} wants to sit through 4 hours of Trower, Hendrix and Cream? Maybe 5 people.....:facepalm:

• Members

Non master volume Marshall super lead clone.

Yeah.

He was bringing out the tweed. Much better fit. He's back on that goddamn Marshall now. {censored}. I tried to gently ask him to leave that elephant gun at home. I've been not so gentle about asking him to leave it at home. He got an attenuator, used it like twice and now it's disappeared and it's the same dumb {censored} all over again.

{censored}

Now I've got the clown parade from worthless-ass craigslist. One guy has "3 projects" - didn't mention gigs and I'd never heard of any of em, said he'll "think about it" (*he's probably stuck in the basement and will stay there*)

next guy saw our songlist and declined, saying he wants blues rock "ala Hendrix/Trower/Cream". Guess he didn't notice the Cream and Hendrix and Srv in our sets. More likely he wants to do ONLY that type of music. Yeah, another stuck in the basement guy. Ain't nobody gigging that {censored} around here. Not exclusively. Who the {censored} wants to sit through 4 hours of Trower, Hendrix and Cream? Maybe 5 people.....
:facepalm:

Well obviously the guitar player hasn't figured out that it isn't 1980 anymore.:rolleyes: Maybe if he had one of those tilt back stands so the amp was aimed at his pointy little head he would turn down.:)

• Members

Well obviously the guitar player hasn't figured out that it isn't 1980 anymore.
:rolleyes:
Maybe if he had one of those tilt back stands so the amp was aimed at his pointy little head he would turn down.
:)

He actually got one of those custom built tilt backs for the tweed, with a port on the bottom. Works great. Problem solved.

But he ain't consistent. I never know WTF he's gonna show up with. This last time it was the idiot marshall rig again. Did the same thing at the Gumbo's gig and just barely kept it under control. Consistency is not a characteristic of this dude. And then on top of it all he played like dog{censored}. Lot's of clunkers. The girl noticed and pointed that out to me. I said, "Yeah, I hear all of those."

She didn't hear no damn clunkers from ME. My job is to be solid. Hell, I've got dust on my amp controls: I set it one way and leave it that way. I don't understand all the {censored}ing around with diff gear, pedals and whatnot. Jiveass {censored} is what it is. Stick to what WORKS. All this {censored}ing around is no good: hate it. Kiling this band.

• Members

Time to get a soundman. I ain't doing it anymore, under any circumstances.

I'm at that point too.

Once more, as ALWAYS, it was the damn guitar

I have been on both sides of this argument and YES, it is always the guitar.

Or less subtlety..."why don't you point that gun at your own head jackass!"

You mentioned showing the singer the board (clipping)...what is the singer's take on it? What about the drummer?

• Members

I'm at that point too.

I have been on both sides of this argument and YES, it is
always
the guitar.

You mentioned showing the singer the board (clipping)...what is the singer's take on it? What about the drummer?

Hard to know. They only saw me getting visibly pissed on stage. Bad vibe all around. They know what's going on; we've talked this over so many times that the time for talk is past.

I'm making a few moves on my own that may help the situation or make it worse. Hard to know. I'm just trying to keep the pressure off of everybody and not talk about band crap with them until the next gig. But by then I should have an ace or two up my sleeve to play as well.....hee hee

• Members

YES, it is
always
the guitar.

Well not really. In my experience, it's always the drummers, using trees for drumsticks, pounding oversized kits with the ferocity of a crazed grizzly bear, like they are John Bonham or something... (edited out) guess I want to stop here and not point fingers...

• Members

There wasn't an option there that fit me, so I didn't vote.

We don't play my "favorite" style of music, we don't "negotitate", nor do I "hate" anything we play.

What we do is the right material for the type of band we are and the type of gigs we play. I like the material for THAT reason, if nothing else. How can you not like a song that the band plays well and the crowd gets off on? It's our job to do those two things. There's nothing really to "negotitate" because if a song works--we do it. If it doesn't, we don't. Whether the material is personally my "favorite" kind of material is irrelevant.

In a cover band, songs are little more than part of the equipment used to deliver the best overall performance: you want the best staging, lighting, instruments, sound equipment, clothing, etc. that makes the band look and sound as good as possible and will illicit the best response from the audience. The songs you choose to play are just another part of that: you want songs that make the singers sound great, the players sound impressive, and that the audience will either get up and dance to or sit back and go "wow!"

• Members

He actually got one of those custom built tilt backs for the tweed, with a port on the bottom. Works great. Problem solved.

But he ain't consistent. I never know WTF he's gonna show up with. This last time it was the idiot marshall rig again. Did the same thing at the Gumbo's gig and just barely kept it under control. Consistency is not a characteristic of this dude. And then on top of it all he played like dog{censored}. Lot's of clunkers. The girl noticed and pointed that out to me. I said, "Yeah, I hear all of those."

She didn't hear no damn clunkers from ME. My job is to be solid. Hell, I've got dust on my amp controls: I set it one way and leave it that way. I don't understand all the {censored}ing around with diff gear, pedals and whatnot. Jiveass {censored} is what it is. Stick to what WORKS. All this {censored}ing around is no good: hate it. Kiling this band.

I'm not really a guitar player, but it just seems like there are so many options out there these days for guys who want a killer tone at a reasonable volume. My guy used to play too loud also, and when I was able to talk him into using a tilted amp stand, he'd complain that he heard himself "too well". :facepalm: (Yeah, that's the point dude...turn the {censored} DOWN!)

He eventually bought a big Egnator amp. I think they are expensive as hell, but it sounds great and has something like 4 different wattage settings. I think he pretty much always uses the lowest (15 amp?) setting. Sounds great and never a volume issue any more. If anything, I'm cranking him back through the monitors some because he's hard to hear from the other side of a bigger stage.

Now if I could just get the bass player to do something about his giant SVT setup... :facepalm:

Archived