Monitors used by the big name bands...

theGman

• Members

I didn't do much over July 4th weekend, so I had the opportunity to watch some live concerts on VH1.

From what I recall, they all used regular wedge monitors and not IEMs.

I'm confused; I thought from reading various threads that IEMs were like the Second Coming, the only way to go.

Am I missing a point here, or what? Thanks for your input.

Paul

• Members

They're not for everyone. It could be the case that some of the acts wanted wedges, some had IEMs, and they provided wedges for everyone and turned them off for the ones not using them. Some people don't like things in their ears, some people feel more connected to the audience, etc.

• Members

It also depends a lot on what kind of concerts you are watching. For festival style gigs, there are often monitors along the front of stage that may only be used for some of the acts. The big names may show up with an IEM setup that they are using and the monitors are just sitting there unused.

I saw Ricky Skaggs this summer, and that was the case.

• Members

My bet is lower stage volume bands don't need to spend thousands on IEMs. Loud bands can't stop the financial hemorrhage to deal with excessive volume. That alone is a reason to keep things under control. I just noticed how low Jethro Tull was onstage. (Not to say that the audience didn't get blasted out by the PA.)

• Members

I sounds like you were watching an event that had multiple acts,

the production company might not have struck the monitors for acts with IEM.

Also I've heard there ARE some folks on IEM who continue to use wedges and sidefills to move air onstage.

• Members

The IEM'S are a wall for me. Outside interaction always feels very forced when I wear them. Etymotic Research makes a four-driver single ear monitor that I would consider, but they're very pricey. Wedges for me for now.

• Members

I didn't do much over July 4th weekend, so I had the opportunity to watch some live concerts on VH1.

From what I recall, they all used regular wedge monitors and not IEMs.

Funny; since I went IEMs early last year, when I watch concert footage on VH1, Palladia, etc. anymore, I'm CONSTANTLY noticing all the bands that DO use them.

This weekend I know I saw a broadcast of a semi-recent Duran Duran show that was a mix of both wedges & in-ears, but certainly I'm seeing a ton of acts, especially broadcasts of fests & the like, where many of the acts are on IEMs.

Archived