Dad bands

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True. I personally think it should be more of a percentage issue, with over 50% of the band members having kids. My band's out.

I think it is a name widely used to quickly convey the image that said rock band is beyond their prime playing age and therefore no longer have any redeeming artistic value to the listening public they are playing for.

Just a slur on guys over 40 playing rock n roll in a band.

• Members

Just a slur on guys over 40 playing rock n roll in a band.

I never thought of it that way (even when I was under 40 and didn't have a kid): a 'dad band' to me was and still is...

1) a bunch of guys who either had never played in bands before or who had played in their 'youth' but who had stopped playing for a lengthy period of time and decided to give it another whirl for kicks & giggles only.

2) MAYBE would book a gig at an actual venue, but primarily only made appearances at backyard BBQs, family gatherings, and other impromptu events.

3) (Probably because of #1) Were not really that good at playing overall, and not likely to improve because rehearsals are for 'serious bands'

4) Generally look like they've never been on a stage before in their entire life/appear as un-professional, and in 'rock' settings as un-rock & roll, as is possible

YMMV, I guess.

• Members

I never thought of it that way (even when I was under 40 and didn't have a kid): a 'dad band' to me was and still is...

1) a bunch of guys who either had never played in bands before or who had played in their 'youth' but who had stopped playing for a lengthy period of time and decided to give it another whirl for kicks & giggles only.

2) MAYBE would book a gig at an actual venue, but primarily only made appearances at backyard BBQs, family gatherings, and other impromptu events.

3) (Probably because of #1) Were not really that good at playing overall, and not likely to improve because rehearsals are for 'serious bands'

4) Generally look like they've never been on a stage before in their entire life/appear as un-professional, and in 'rock' settings as un-rock & roll, as is possible

YMMV, I guess.

Right, but the OP clearly does not follow this model and titled his opinion as "Dad Band" based solely on image. I think a lot of people think the same thing. I think if it had been 20 somethings playing the same songs (along the lines Lee earlier suggested) this thread would have never been born. I know I get the slight eye-roll when people find out I'm in a working band. (In other words, they are thinking, oh you are still playing rockstar hush,...you should be staying home being a dad, loser). hahahaha.

• Members

Good question. My 2 bands are composed of guys in our 50's. We play everywhere from sports bars/clubs to corp events & weddings. The majority of our listeners don't give a rat's ass about today's music. We play beach music to ZZ, and people love us. Once in a while someone may ask for something new that I've never even heard of, but we'd rather spend our efforts pleasing 95% of the people than the other 5%.

• Members

Without regard to the audience? Where did that come from. Unless the OP was the only one there they may have been playing right to what the crowd wanted. Did I miss the part where they didn't draw? Rangefinder didn't mention that the bar was dead. Did he say they weren't good players? Did he say the general public was not interested in that music? Wow, your insight is incredible. Someone say "Hi" to you and you know their entire life story with details? Awesome.

OK, I a 50+ year old and my band has been doing roughly the same music for the last 34 years. We occasionally throw in some newer stuff but our crowd isn't really interested in newer stuff. They come to hear us play what we play. We aren't lazy we just do what we do. I enjoy all kinds of music including some of the current stuff. I have hip hop, jazz, oldies, symphonies, metal, easy listening and bubblegum on my iPhone. The people that come out to see us want to hear the stuff we've been doing since 1977 and we oblige them. We are old but we ARE getting paid. We all have careers and the music is a hobby, albeit a pretty lucrative one. It's probably just different strokes for different folks.

Yep !! And we are good musicians that know how to play, when to play, and know about dynamics.

• Members

I never knew I was a Dad band. Have actually had my 20+ yr old son sit in with us at times though. But in actuallity, we are a very good band and probably surprise a lot of people with the quality of our music. We all have 30+ years experience playing and can pull upon our memories of music ( when music was music) that we've heard for years & years - makes it easy to practice and play songs when you've heard them for that long.

• Members

That's me and our bands. We are in our 50s and 60s. We also please that 95% and, around here, they are in all age groups, not just senile citizens. It is a neat feeling to get praises from 20 somethings as well as the old people.

Good question. My 2 bands are composed of guys in our 50's. We play everywhere from sports bars/clubs to corp events & weddings. The majority of our listeners don't give a rat's ass about today's music. We play beach music to ZZ, and people love us. Once in a while someone may ask for something new that I've never even heard of, but we'd rather spend our efforts pleasing 95% of the people than the other 5%.

• Members

We're a dad band and proud of it. We play enough shows to keep it fun (2-3 times per month), make good money and play some pretty good shows, including a festival in front of 5,000+ last weekend. My drummer has a 1 year old grandson. It's all good, believe me.

• Members

YMMV, I guess.

That would be my definition as well. I know plenty of bands with all members over 40 that 'bring it' in terms of presention and style of music they play. One classic rock band who's been playing my area for more than 20 years mixes near perfect renditions of "Carry On Wayward Son", "YYZ", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Come Sail Away", "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" along side Switchfoot, NIN, RHCP, Soundgarden. One of the most talented bands in my area in my area for decades with a loyal, decent following. Not a single member is less then 42 with two members in the early 50's.

Then I know plenty of hobby bands with members in their 40's that really aren't ready for prime time... no professional gear, no standout players, many without any stage experience, pretty mediocre performance and presentation. They're bands that are still one step from the garage really. No problems with them really... but they would define my interpretation of a 'dad' band. In my mind I subconciously give them a 'pass' knowing that they are just 'dads' using their once a week 'kitchen pass' from their wife to blow off some steam. Subtract 15-20 years from the age of these members and you have the same beginner bands that crop up from time to time that really don't move the needle on anything... but tend to hype themselves like they are the 2nd Coming.

• Members

That would be my definition as well. I know plenty of bands with all members over 40 that 'bring it' in terms of presention and style of music they play. One classic rock band who's been playing my area for more than 20 years mixes near perfect renditions of "Carry On Wayward Son", "YYZ", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Come Sail Away", "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" along side Switchfoot, NIN, RHCP, Soundgarden. One of the most talented bands in my area in my area for decades with a loyal, decent following. Not a single member is less then 42 with two members in the early 50's.

Then I know plenty of hobby bands with members in their 40's that really aren't ready for prime time... no professional gear, no standout players, many without any stage experience, pretty mediocre performance and presentation. They're bands that are still one step from the garage really. No problems with them really... but they would define my interpretation of a 'dad' band. In my mind I subconciously give them a 'pass' knowing that they are just 'dads' using their once a week 'kitchen pass' from their wife to blow off some steam. Subtract 15-20 years from the age of these members and you have the same beginner bands that crop up from time to time that really don't move the needle on anything... but tend to hype themselves like they are the 2nd Coming.

Bands tend to fall into weekend warrior types and full time bands. Dad bands are just older weekend warrior type bands. Great bands fall in all catagories of bands.

Archived