Dad bands

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whew...finally. That is the whole point...that is where the conflict in your posts stem from.

Not a conflict, just you not getting my point, perhaps. Which is probably my fault for not being clear enough?

But I think we're more on the same side of this issue than not. I've never tried to put "technical" in a box. In fact, quite the opposite. The poster I was debating with was (at least seem to me) arguing that music is often OBJECTIVELY "better" simply BECAUSE it is more complex. I disagree. I appreciate complex chordings as much as the next piano player, but I don't find them necessary to my enjoyment of piece of music--either as a player OR a listener. Metheny moves me both with a lot of notes and (more often actually) with very few. I don't think "Ophelia" needs all the chords or to be played at a certain speed to be an effective piece of music. And the intended audience makes all the difference as well. My favorite version of "Over the Rainbow" is the one with probably the MOST simplified chord progressions.

And, of course, there are cases where aesthetics can hinder how well a piece of music is able to 'move' people, except maybe those most interested in the aesthetics. Yngwie does nothing for me. He would do even less for my wife. Some guitarists LOVE him, of course. Not sure many people beyond other guitarists/musicians do though.

• Members

The poster I was debating with was (at least seem to me) arguing that music is often OBJECTIVELY "better" simply BECAUSE it is more complex.

Dave, you seem to get so enthusiastic about your next debating point that you gloss over other important aspects in the process. Perhaps I need to limit my posts to one simple point at a time.

It's tough to discuss "Ophelia" as an example, since you don't seem to care much for the song or either of the two bands in question, but if you're willing to go back and listen to a verse from each, you will hear the following changes implied by the horns and vocal lines in the original. There's nothing gratuitous about wanting to hear C E7 A7 D7 F G7sus instead of the same changes with no extensions or alterations whatsoever, which is what you'll hear in the video I uploaded.

• Members

It's tough to discuss "Ophelia" as an example, since you don't seem to care much for the song or either of the two bands in question,

Actually, I think it makes it a great example from my perspective since I don't have any emotional connection to either band, version or style and can therefore listen to both performances somewhat objectively.

There's nothing gratuitous about wanting to hear C E7 A7 D7 F G7sus instead of the same changes with no extensions or alterations whatsoever, which is what you'll hear in the video I uploaded.

There's probably nothing gratuitous about someone WANTING to hear the changes with extensions. Because again, that's a subjective preference. I thought (perhaps I got off-track somewhere, which is easy to do in a many-paged debate) the discussion was about one version being OBJECTIVELY musically superior to the other and the extensions being (at least part of) the reason why.

And I disagree that they make it OBJECTIVELY better.

• Members

Sry, I'm late to this thread. Can someone sum it up in a few sentences for me pls? K thnks!

Sure--"The people of BSWTB are, on the whole, grumpy and disillusioned by the fact that a skill that they worked hard to master is becoming largely obsolete as far as the public is concerned. As a result, they fight about anything."

• Members

Sry, I'm late to this thread. Can someone sum it up in a few sentences for me pls? K thnks!

Oh hai!

If you start at page 1:

Dad bands play old music, much to the horror of the younger folkes.

Pissing match to follow.

:o

• Members
Sure--"The people of BSWTB are, on the whole, grumpy and disillusioned by the fact that a skill that they worked hard to master is becoming largely obsolete as far as the public is concerned. As a result, they fight about anything."

Awesome :cool:

• Moderators
Grumpy and disillusioned by the fact that a skill that they worked hard to master is becoming largely obsolete as far as the public is concerned. As a result, they fight about anything."

I think we just found the new forum description text. :eek:

• Members

Well said . . . . although the "master" part is debatable. (oops . . . bad choice of words.)

"Becoming largely obsolete" could be from the perspective of 1955 or 2005, depending on . . . . oh never mind.

• Members

Does the melody of a song influence the chords you play? . . . . (in this case or generally)

Hmmmm...not sure there's an easy answer to that. I'm sure it does SOMETIMES, but it usually has much more to do with style and instrument. If I'm doing a rocked-up version of a song, I'll keep the chords simple. If I'm doing a more jazzy arrangement, chords with more extensions might be more appropriate. If I'm doing a jazzy-ballad version, I might choose to use chordings that essentially follow the melody all the way up and down. A rock version would only change on the "big" chords and on certain beats. Anything more would be too much. Whether I'm playing piano or organ or guitar is an influence too.

My goal would to be to make BOTH versions be as good as possible for the context of the arrangement, and I would hope I make the right choice for which extensions to use based on that arrangement. One might have more complex chords than the other, but I don't see how THAT would be what might make that version objectively better than the other.

• Members

Nah, I'll fight about anything. I don't need to be grumpy and dissillusioned to do so.

(see...I'll even fight about THAT.... :lol:)

• Members

Hmmmm...not sure there's an easy answer to that. I'm sure it does SOMETIMES, but it usually has much more to do with style and instrument. If I'm doing a rocked-up version of a song, I'll keep the chords simple. If I'm doing a more jazzy arrangement, chords with more extensions might be more appropriate. If I'm doing a jazzy-ballad version, I might choose to use chordings that essentially follow the melody all the way up and down. A rock version would only change on the "big" chords and on certain beats. Anything more would be too much. Whether I'm playing piano or organ or guitar is an influence too.

My goal would to be to make BOTH versions be as good as possible for the context of the arrangement, and I would hope I make the right choice for which extensions to use based on that arrangement. One might have more complex chords than the other, but I don't see how THAT would be what might make that version objectively better than the other.

(pssst . . . Dave . . . . . I don't think they want us to discuss this anymore.)

• Members

All this picking on "Dad" bands, I just don't get it. And it's not fair, either. What about all those "Mom" bands out there- why do THEY get a pass?

I wish I had a nickel for every time I set foot in a club, only to see a stage full of polyester-tie-dye-wearing Moms singing their thrown-together Bonnie Raitt and Pat Benetar songs, acting for all the world like they had never even heard of Beyonce or Colbie Caillat. I mean, come on, GET REAL!:rolleyes:

• Members

:o

Still, no one has answered my question about whether or not one needs to have children to be able to play in a "dad" band.

• Members
.....Anyway, my take is this - the entire point of music is to have an impact on you... to make you feel something. And it can accomplish that in many different ways. I listen to a huge variety of music and
very rarely do I stop to think about how complicated the chord changes in a song are, or whether it has an odd meter, or whatever.
To me, music is a lot like food. Sometimes a really expensive well prepared steak is THE thing to have, but sometimes I'm in the mood for pizza. A song is the sum of its parts. I can listen to Bartok but I'd rather hear "Just What I Needed" by The Cars.

You can study and perform all different kinds of music and have an in depth understanding of music theory but it doesn't necessarily make you some type of expert as to what "good" music is.

:thu: I'm with this!!

Archived