R&B song with a Rap break: The New Cliche?

New Trail

• Members

I think I hated rap for about the first five minutes back when every rocker did when it first hit the scene, but I don't really have much feeling about it one way or the other now. Some of it I think is really good and cool, and some of it I think is stupid and crass (especially most of the 'gangsta' stuff), but I didn't grow up with it so I don't have a real connection to it and I don't think I actually own any rap CDs nor have much interest in buying any. My wife has a few she likes.

But I definately agree with Grant about just embracing it and going with it. If it's something that works for the crowds you play for and you can pull it off, then you should do it when/where you can. Just like doing a country tune, I suppose.

Actually, Tiffany raps reasonably well for a middle aged white lady, so I plan on taking advantage of
that
when and where we can. Problem is, there aren't that many classic
[female
raps and, unlike with sung songs--where I don't really ever mind just having the girls sing the male gender lyrics, (or change the gender if that works better)--most male rap doesn't quite work the same way.

Having a girl do the Snoop rap in California Gurls? Nah. Just not feelin' it.

Push It and Pump Up The Jam would do really well for you IMO. Also, don't totally write off the idea of a girl doing a male rap. While I'll agree that a female snoop wouldn't work. Meagan does Ice Ice Baby and we go back and forth on Tricky. Both go over really well.

• Members

Push It and Pump Up The Jam would do really well for you IMO. Also, don't totally write off the idea of a girl doing a male rap. While I'll agree that a female snoop wouldn't work. Meagan does Ice Ice Baby and we go back and forth on Tricky. Both go over really well.

"Push It" and "Pump" are on our list of stuff to work up in January, actually. IIB would certainly work for us. Just not sure where to slip it in. Any suggestions for mash up ideas on that one?

Yeah, there's some male rap stuff that would work. It's just that so much of it is caught up in all that male bravado schtick, and a lot of it to the point of being mysoginist, that it would be tough for a female to pull off with any real credibility. But of course, all depends on the song, the singer, and the presentation.

• Members

"Push It" and "Pump" are on our list of stuff to work up in January, actually. IIB would certainly work for us. Just not sure where to slip it in. Any suggestions for mash up ideas on that one?

Yeah, there's
some
male rap stuff that would work. It's just that so much of it is caught up in all that male bravado schtick, and a lot of it to the point of being mysoginist, that it would be tough for a female to pull off with any real credibility. But of course, all depends on the song, the singer, and the presentation.

Here's how we do it (I posted this in another thread), and while I'm not suggesting it for you, it gives you an idea. The good thing about Ice is it works in anything, by the time you get "Stop, Collaborate and Listen" out of your mouth, the crowd is all over it...

• Members

I think I hated rap for about the first five minutes back when every rocker did when it first hit the scene, but I don't really have much feeling about it one way or the other now.

Ya, I guess "complete apathy" is more appropriate than "hate" for me. But hell, I'm just an crotchety old codger . . . .

• Members

Ya, I guess "complete apathy" is more appropriate than "hate" for me. But hell, I'm just an crotchety old codger . . . .

The first rap stuff I heard I didn't like and suspected would just be a novelty. The first time it made any sense to me was when RunDMC did "Walk This Way". That was the first time I thought "OK...NOW I get it." The first rap stuff I remember actually liking was LLCoolJ doing "Goin' Back To Cali" which, for reasons I can't explain, I thought was just the coolest song. Then The Beastie Boys' "Paul's Boutique" album was all over the place and that was the first time I understood it as an art form.

But while I'm not really INTO rap, I often hear stuff I like even it's mostly pop stuff. (What can I say...I'm a pop guy..) That Eminem track with Rihanna from last year (can't remember the name now...."Love the Way You Lie" maybe?)--that track was extremely dramatic and compelling and it was his rapping that made it so. That track makes my hair stand up on end. No one can tell me that isn't real music.

And a lot of these now-classic late 80s/early 90s tracks--when I hear those they bring back nice memories even though they weren't songs I necessarily even liked much at the time. Nostalgia has a funny way of playing games with us.

• Members

Let's not forget "Convoy" from 1975-- not exactly rap, but which came complete with insider jargon, incomprehensible lyrics, rebellion against the man, and profanity.

I can't help but wonder if Grandmaster Flash or whoever overheard the song one day, said "{censored}, I can do better than that", and rap was born...

• Members

LOVED LOVED LOVED that with two momentary exceptions:

1. Your drummer needs to lay off the cymbal crashes a little, they're walking on her vocals at times.

2. When she sang the chorus to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - not enough "abandon" in her vocal take.

But I enjoyed how well the two songs meshed. It's kind of freaky.

Brian V.

• Members

I've suspected for a while its a delibirate thing with female RnB artists to put a guy doing a rap somewhere in the single so that guys feel like its less of a "girly" song.

Like that Rihanna song a few years back with Jay-Z at the start. his verse adds nothing, its right at the beginning of the song so it could easily have been totally taken out and was probably the absolute last thing to go on the track, its just there so the first time listener is like, oh, its Jay-Z.

• Members

Let's not forget "Convoy" from 1975-- not exactly rap, but which came complete with insider jargon, incomprehensible lyrics, rebellion against the man, and profanity.

I can't help but wonder if Grandmaster Flash or whoever overheard the song one day, said "{censored}, I can do better than that", and rap was born...

Oh man, I remember that one. Good call, it really does seem like a primitive form of rap.

• Members

LOVED LOVED LOVED that with two momentary exceptions:

1. Your drummer needs to lay off the cymbal crashes a little, they're walking on her vocals at times.

2. When she sang the chorus to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - not enough "abandon" in her vocal take.

But I enjoyed how well the two songs meshed. It's kind of freaky.

Brian V.

Just saw this, and thanks!!!

Archived