I prefer having folks dance rather than just sitting and listening. Am I wrong?

New Trail

• Members

Reading all the comments about how dancers vs. listeners, packed rooms, and till rings all correlate to one another made me thinK about what I like for a moment. I've come to the conclusion that I love playing to packed rooms - but that as a patron, I rather go to the dentist than be a customer in most of the packed rooms we play at.

I'd much rather spend my time and money at a corner bar with single or duo who are working to keep the handful of customers in the joint - while having a place to sit and listen, being served by a waitress who I didn't have shout at or grab to get an order places and drinking premium beer and liquer at a fraction of the prices being charges in the "popular" places.

But hey, that's just me! :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep. Often times a club with a full dance floor that isn't selling enough drinks simply needs more cocktail waitresses.

Ir just better ones that take care of business. Things can also get backed up at the bar. When service gets slow,, people start going up to the bar and the bar tender or tenders get double teamed between the wait staff and people pushing up to the bar and ordering drinks. Then the goat rodeo starts with people running tabs at the bar and their table. workin a bar room with a band playing makes communicaton hard and people are in and out of their seats. Its not an easy job. Good wait staff is hard to find. Many places go through a ton of them till they finally get keepers.

• Members

By the way, last weekend I went to see a band play in the venue I'm booked in this weekend, a new one for us. It's a big place, sports bar like, quite nice with lots of pool tables on one side and the band on the other. We sat on the band side. My drummer, keyboard player, bass player and wife were with me. And it took us 15 minutes to get service. More people came in, and sat there waiting to get served. Some got up and left, other people went to the bar and asked for a server. The band took a break and I told them that I hadn't seen a cocktail waitress in over 20 minutes. Finally, the manager, who I'd never met before, came over and asked the band how it was going for them. I told him about the poor service and that I hoped it wouldn't be like that when we play there. I'm going to mention it again on Friday when we set up. The crowd was decent (for awhile, until they couldn't get a drink), they were responsive and dancing. Lots of times the ringout has nothing to do with how well the band does.

I have seen a few places set up like this and have played some of them as well. Thankfully, my experience hasn't been quite the same. But it has happened too. It's almost like the place only sees half of their own bar and just caters to those people. I'd rather play places where the band can be seen in the room, no matter where you are in the bar.

• Members

Well I kept reading how everyone is spring loaded to hear what the bar made at the end of the night. If your not playing for the till, why does the ring out matter?

It matters because if the bars don't make money they don't hire bands. Even though I play for a set fee, the pay for the band has to come from somewhere.

• Members

And you believe what they tell you they made?

It doesn't matter to me how much the bar made that night. My ultimate concern is how many heads did we draw. Body count. And the age, demographic we play to we can almost assign a $price$ per head.... but it's much easier to just count heads. It's not our job to squeeze money out of them, it's the bars responsibility (although it works best if you help)... our job is to draw them in and keep them there.

• Members

You can kill it here with 200 heads, and everyone buys only one drink because of the aggressively enforced DUI laws...200 x$3.50 a drink = $700 - $450 for the band..the bar lost money...but the door was good ;)

And we haven't even talked about dives in bad locations, bad management, bad pricing, bad sound, bad reputation, bad waitstaff, bad client

Archived