Getting Fired from a Band: Here's an odd way....

New Trail

• Members

A friend just got fired from their band. The band leader said "Don't come to the gigs anymore. I'll call you if I need you."

I realize that I'm only hearing one side of the story, and there are probably lots of issues and/or problems that I don't know about.....however.......

What's your take on this?

• Members

Take on that?

Childish and immature. Pretty crummy way to go about things based on the information provided. Actually, regardless of the whole story it still sounds like a poor way of handling things. Unless the member in question is violent or something, maybe.

• Members

The band leader said "Don't come to the gigs anymore. I'll call you if I need you."

I would answer, "I won't bother to answer the phone. Have a nice day." :thu: (imagine this thumb is a different digit...)

I'm pretty final when it comes to firing someone. I usually just tell them straight up that they are out and thank them for their time with the group. It's tougher when they are nice people (but just can't play very well). Assholes, liars and thieves are much easier. It's such a big sense of relief, much like emptying one's bowels after being 'stopped up' for a few days. :lol:

I have been fired twice from bands, both were when I was younger. The first band just simply stopped calling me for practice ({censored} way out). With the second one, the immature bandleader called me at home, then told me to come to the practice house and "take your {censored} right now, or we'll just start throwing it out in the yard." This was also right before a Christmas gig. Nice, huh? :rolleyes:

• Members

I know of situations where people were dismissed for personal or character flaws. The band didn't want to seem supportive or want this to reflect on them.

It's possible some kind of violence or stalker like weirdness could result in the band no wanting him or her at the shows.

just guessing

otherwise I say crash the gig and flyer the place with the shows of your new band

• Members

A friend just got fired from their band. The band leader said "Don't come to the gigs anymore. I'll call you if I need you."

I realize that I'm only hearing one side of the story, and there are probably lots of issues and/or problems that I don't know about.....however.......

My take is it's not surprising or out of the ordinary at all.

Musicians on both ends of the equation (or rather, people involved in inter-personal relationships and the dynamics that are in play) means anything is possible.

That doesn't make it 'right' or preferable or whatever, but it is what it is.

Move along; nothing to see here.

• Members

I learned a long time ago to never be surprised at how people behave once they know they no longer share a common future.

• Members

I'm a guy who is all about 'closure', I can handle anything coming to an end so long as I can at least get an explanation of "why". The explanation lacks, therefore I'd have asked him to elaborate a bit more if I was the guy getting fired.

It turns out that the bandleader fired my friend to rehire his brother, who he had fired to begin with to hire my friend!...:confused:

• Members

I'm a guy who is all about 'closure', I can handle anything coming to an end so long as I can at least get an explanation of "why". The explanation lacks, therefore I'd have asked him to elaborate a bit more if I was the guy getting fired.

I've fired more than a couple bandmates over the years. If a situation makes it to the "firing" stage - I'm done talking and explaining. Rest assured that you would have been told in very specific terms what behaviors were a problem on several occasions before it got to the point that you were being fired. However, once the decision is made and it's time to pull the trigger - the actual "You're fired" talk isn't a discussion or an explanation. It's basically an announcement.

• Members

It turns out that the bandleader fired my friend to rehire his brother, who he had fired to begin with to hire my friend!...
:confused:

Sounds a bit unfair (and all over the place)... but within his rights and understandable... i dont know, my experience with bands has been pretty much subcontracting, and therefore can be fired at any time.

• Members

I've fired more than a couple bandmates over the years. If a situation makes it to the "firing" stage - I'm done talking and explaining. Rest assured that you would have been told in very specific terms what behaviors were a problem on several occasions
before
it got to the point that you were being fired. However, once the decision is made and it's time to pull the trigger - the actual
"You're fired"
talk isn't a discussion or an explanation. It's basically an announcement.

yeah I was just speaking of the OP's situation where no warning or explanation appeared to be given. Now that he chimed in with the details, it makes more sense.

• Members

I've fired more than a couple bandmates over the years. If a situation makes it to the "firing" stage - I'm done talking and explaining. Rest assured that you would have been told in very specific terms what behaviors were a problem on several occasions
before
it got to the point that you were being fired. However, once the decision is made and it's time to pull the trigger - the actual
"You're fired"
talk isn't a discussion or an explanation. It's basically an announcement.

Ideal, but from what I have seen and experienced this is far from the norm. We are talking about musicians here after all...

Archived