I just played a Gig that's making me re-think my Musical M.O.

• Members

Even if the band I was in was a commercial band and played all the "tired and true" songs, I've always been the guy in the band that did the more offbeat songs. It became clear to me at a recent gig that the "tired and true" songs are what get the wimmens dancin' and my slightly more obscure but maybe cooler tunes don't. So...I think it would be smart for me to learn a bunch of "tired and true" tunes and make myself more mainstream and accessible to the local girlies. :wave:

• Members

Even if the band I was in was a commercial band and played all the "tired and true" songs, I've always been the guy in the band that did the more offbeat songs. It became clear to me at a recent gig that the "tired and true" songs are what get the wimmens dancin' and my slightly more obscure but maybe cooler tunes don't. So...I think it would be smart for me to learn a bunch of "tired and true" tunes and make myself more mainstream and accessible to the local girlies.
:wave:

N.T. I'm guessing by the years of endless musings you've posted here that you are the type of person that likes to stare and analyze your mashed potatoes a good 8 hrs before consumption. ;) There's nothing wrong with that of course, but if you had come to this conclusion say 2 years ago you may be a bit further along in your musical endeavors.

• Members

Even if the band I was in was a commercial band and played all the "tired and true" songs, I've always been the guy in the band that did the more offbeat songs. It became clear to me at a recent gig that the "tired and true" songs are what get the wimmens dancin' and my slightly more obscure but maybe cooler tunes don't. So...I think it would be smart for me to learn a bunch of "tired and true" tunes and make myself more mainstream and accessible to the local girlies.

Hmmmm.... I thought I remember you posting a LOT in the last couple of years about how you were trying to get your bandmates to be more "mainstream". Did I have that wrong?

• Members

Hmmmm.... I thought I remember you posting a LOT in the last couple of years about how you were trying to get your bandmates to be more "mainstream". Did I have that wrong?

No, that is correct. Good memory! The recent gig to which I was referring was not an actual band gig, it was more of a jam/benefit kind of thing with musicians from several bands playing together. Since we weren't a band we had to play the simpler things that we all sorta knew. The point is that the other guys did things like Brick House and Mustang Sally, which went over great, and I did bluesier songs like Sweet Home Chicago which didn't as much.

• Members

I'll play Mustang Sally all night if it keeps the dance floor packed.

:thu:

when I need to explain to my metal head pals why I'm not playing Maiden and Dio and Megadeth in my cover band I usually say I'll play jesse's girl all night if people are dancing and I'm getting paid...

• Members

not every crowd needs to dance. One of our best gigs to date not a single person danced, but the crowd all staying in their seats and watched us play. I guess people really do 'go to see a band' sometimes. Turns out that people sitting and socializing drink much more than people who spend all night on the dance floor :idea:

• Members

Did I write this? Seriously this sounds like me. I think I might be 2 people.

• Members

It does work, but I like looking for more interesting material anyway. Cupid Shuffle is so popular that they'll even dance to the jukebox on that tune.

• Members

This was probably THE primary reason my time in the gigging scene was a short two years compared to all the time and dedication most on this board have in (although I've been playing and singing for over 30 years - I'm 45 btw). I considered my band a hard rock/new cover covers band, but we'd toss in an occasional rocked up Rick Springfield or Honeymoon Suite tune; maybe a couple of classic rock songs. In central Ohio, there are maybe 2-3 bands that get away with that and they draw the same people show after show. No more to go around I guess. But I could never love performing enough to go the Brown-Eyed Girl route every weekend. I was hoping for the extra fun money and crowd following, but in the end, I had to enjoy what I was doing. I would not have enjoyed playing the dance floor standards, thus we failed, and thus I went solo acoustic until that became more work than my career.

I applaud all of you that found the magic formula, enjoy/tolerate it, and make it fun week after week. For me, it just wouldn't have done that.

Keep rockin.

• Members

This was probably THE primary reason my time in the gigging scene was a short two years compared to all the time and dedication most on this board have in (although I've been playing and singing for over 30 years - I'm 45 btw). I considered my band a hard rock/new cover covers band, but we'd toss in an occasional rocked up Rick Springfield or Honeymoon Suite tune; maybe a couple of classic rock songs. In central Ohio, there are maybe 2-3 bands that get away with that and they draw the same people show after show. No more to go around I guess. But I could never love performing enough to go the Brown-Eyed Girl route every weekend. I was hoping for the extra fun money and crowd following, but in the end, I had to enjoy what I was doing. I would not have enjoyed playing the dance floor standards, thus we failed, and thus I went solo acoustic until that became more work than my career.

I applaud all of you that found the magic formula, enjoy/tolerate it, and make it fun week after week. For me, it just wouldn't have done that.

Keep rockin.

There is definitely room for all kinds of music. It's just that, depending upon what style of music you are presenting, the percentage of audience that will come see you has changed dramatically from years past. I love a lot of the songs my band plays, but there are many that I would prefer to replace too. 20 years ago, it was the beginning of the grunge era and all the hair band music people had learned started to look and feel passe. Yet even then, there were classic rock bands that just kept on chugging along, learning a few of the newer songs to go along with their older repertoire of tunes.

I just saw my bass player's former band last night. They play originals with some covers. It's heavy metal, Drop B sounding music. It was very loud for the bar, so some people were driven away by that, while others were yelling and screaming in encouragement. While it wasn't completely my cup of tea, it was refreshing to see a band play heavier music in town instead of the same ol', same ol' stuff.

Most of the bands around here (including mine) play it safe with classic rock, some country, with some modern hits thrown in. It brings in the money and gets you rebooked, but I sometimes wonder if we shouldn't just play music that is closer to what we really like and see what happens. All three of us are rockers in the band, so I wouldn't mind doing some Seether or Chevelle, just to see what the reaction would be like. It would be easier on my voice than some of the 'classic' music we do too. Then again, I sometimes think it would be better to just save that kind of music for a side-project band so people don't get confused about what our group plays. However, fans of us always compliment us on our variety, so who knows? Maybe they will enjoy the heavier stuff too. Might be nice to have in our back pocket to whip out as needed. My main thing has always been as long as it is played with conviction, passion and heart, people will respond positively.

• Members

Most of the bands around here (including mine) play it safe with classic rock, some country, with some modern hits thrown in. It brings in the money and gets you rebooked, but I sometimes wonder if we shouldn't just play music that is closer to what we really like and see what happens. All three of us are rockers in the band, so I wouldn't mind doing some Seether or Chevelle, just to see what the reaction would be like. Then again, I sometimes think it would be better to just save that kind of music for a side-project band so people don't get confused about what our group plays.

This is what we did (Seether, Foo Fighters, etc.). Like the thread originator (forgive my laziness to go back to the top), I had images of doing what I like combined with "rocker chicks" at the stage. Didn't work out that way. :)

Archived