Donald "Duck" Dunn has died in Tokyo.

• Members

Mr. Dunn was on tour in Japan and apparently died in his sleep. He was a fantastic musician and played on many Stax/Volt hits as a member of Booker T. and the MG's. He also recorded/performed with many artists such as Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Otis Redding, and The Blues Brothers. He was 70 years old.

• Members

This one does hurt! Between him and Levon, we lost a lot of groove in the last month!

Got to see him play in Atlanta several years ago, at the old Music Midtown Festival. He was with Booker T. And The MGs. As awesome as expected! Tried to get backstage to meet him, but didn't manage. (I'm a keyboard player, and would love to have gotten the chance to talk with Booker T., but it was "Duck" that I wanted to see! That's how strong his groove was!)

So weird that, Saturday night, as 12MN was setting up our gear, I queued up "She Caught The Katy" on the jukebox, and was commenting to our bassist about the bassline, tone, etc. on that particular tune...

RIP, Mr. Dunn.

jamieb

• Members

Man this sucks, getting to the age where you start seeing your heroes pass all too quickly. Gary Moore, Les Paul, Ronnie Montrose, Davy Jones, now this.

Yeah, it's like one a week lately. Won't be long before I'm like I remember my dad being the last few years of his life---first thing he did every morning was read the obituaries... :facepalm:

Archived