Dance Songs for the Ladies: What are your best ones?

• Members

I get it: if they get up and shake what they have, it's a win, but holy crap...really?

It's NOT a 'dance' song.

It's not a dance tempo.

It's not a billion things one thinks of when talking about dancing or songs to dance songs.

Man...white people...

:facepalm:

yes really. They still dance like strippers to the song. :)

But that's us... YMMV. Just like I am sure tlbonehead's band has a totally different list that is more classic rock/ hard rock. And yours I bet is skewered 80s new wave.

• Members

yes really. They still dance like strippers to the song.
:)

But that's us... YMMV. Just like I am sure tlbonehead's band has a totally different list that is more classic rock/ hard rock. And yours I bet is skewered 80s new wave.

Yeah, but I'm not talking genre/styles; I mean tempo.

PSSOM is SLOW and PLODDING...like 85 BPM (Haven't wethis been discussed before?...deja vu...)

Where something like Depeche Mode's Just Can't Get Enough is 127 BPM...and LOTS of rock/hard rock songs that are way more up-tempo (and stripper friendly :thu:)...

Obviously, one can dance to anything they want, but PSSOM just doesn't say 'energetic' to me.

• Members

True. But the question was "Best dance songs FOR THE LADIES". Not for the band, or for the contestant on Dancing With The Stars. If PSSOM packs the dance floor with ladies every night (and it does for us) and something like JCGE didn't (which we don't play so I'm just be hypothetical here), then I'd have to PSSOM is the better dance song FOR THE LADIES. What theortically is best on paper and what really works are often two completely different things.

For us--our entire set is built around what's going to pack the dance floor with girls, so it's hard for me to say which are the "best", but these all seem to be sure-fire pretty much every crowd every gig:

Love Shack

Your Love

Dynamite

California Girls

We Found Love

Stayin' Alive

Billie Jean

Boogie Oogie Oogie

Walking On Sunshine

Low

Party Rock Anthem

Sexy and I Know It

Moves Like Jagger

• Members

PSSOM is SLOW and PLODDING
...like 85 BPM (Haven't wethis been discussed before?...deja vu...)

Where something like Depeche Mode's Just Can't Get Enough is 127 BPM...and LOTS of rock/hard rock songs that are way more up-tempo (and stripper friendly
:thu:
)...

Obviously, one can dance to anything they want, but PSSOM just doesn't say 'energetic' to me.

Not if you play it at 100bpm. :D There are songs you can dance to and songs you can chant to. This sorta meets firmly in the middle. For us PSSSOM is more 1st set crowd warmup (or 2nd/3rd set starters) but people dance... and chant. Most important it's instantly recognizable (and gets generous crowd reaction) from people of all ages 21-61. We'll stack it early in the set and it helps to gear the audience up into the modern dance stuff we're covering at 140-146 bpm.

I wouldn't consider it dance material... but believe me people still dance to it.

• Members

Not if you play it at 100bpm.
:D
There are songs you can dance to and songs you can chant to. This sorta meets firmly in the middle. For us PSSSOM is more 1st set crowd warmup (or 2nd/3rd set starters) but people dance... and chant. Most important it's instantly recognizable (and gets generous crowd reaction) from people of all ages 21-61. We'll stack it early in the set and it helps to gear the audience up into the modern dance stuff we're covering at 140-146 bpm.

I wouldn't consider it dance material... but believe me people still dance to it.

yeah we play it a little bit faster than the original song. If I have had a few beers its a lot faster. :)

• Members

Hell, we played PSSOM at the biggest country bar in the area last weekend, both nights. Major hit both nights.

In the country genre Country Girl Shake it for Me gets tons of ladies up shaking it and it's not an uptempo song either.

• Members

I'd like to say everything in our setlist encourages women to dance... and I'd say 90% of our setlist accomplishes that. I could list them all but I don't think it's the songs that make the girls dance as much as it's how they are delivered. High energy, machine gun delivery. There are other bands in our area that attempt the same material but don't always net the same response.

• Members

I'd like to say everything in our setlist encourages women to dance... and I'd say 90% of our setlist accomplishes that. I could list them all but I don't think it's the songs that make the girls dance as much as
it's how they are delivered. High energy, machine gun delivery.
There are other bands in our area that attempt the same material but don't always net the same response.

very true. some well picked dance songs will only go so far... you have to deliver them well. Recently I witnessed a band FAIL while playing some of the same "sure thing" songs we do.

• Members

I get it: if they get up and shake what they have, it's a win, but holy crap...really?

It's NOT a 'dance' song.

It's not a dance tempo.

It's not a billion things one thinks of when talking about dancing or songs to dance songs.

Man...white people...

:facepalm:

Are we talking about the Def Lepard song or is there a different one? I can honestly say I don't know any women who could pick this song out of a line up. I would be suprised if any women under 35 would even know the band existed.

• Members

Are we talking about the Def Lepard song or is there a different one? I can honestly say I don't know any women who could pick this song out of a line up. I would be suprised if any women under 35 would even know the band existed.

Must be an Aussie thing. That song is about as sure-fire as it gets with the girls here in the states. It's the song in which every girl finds her "inner stripper".

It being used in movie scenes like this definiately upped its popularity.

[video=youtube;FVYNNYyXdJE]

BTW, after watching this---we play it quite a bit faster as well.

• Members

We used to play 'Land Down Under' as a novelty song many years ago. I'm curious, what songs work in Aussie... keeping in mind an under 30 audience?

I can't see video at work, but I assumed Guido had put Men at Work up. There's a very sad story re Copyright fascism relating to Land Down Under which may or may not have led to the suicide of the flute/saxaphone player Greg Ham. http://www.noise11.com/news/greg-ham-death-related-to-kookaburra-hearing-20120422

Grant when you come to Oz, I'm sure your current setlist will work fine.

• Members

I can't see video at work, but I assumed Guido had put Men at Work up. There's a very sad story re Copyright fascism relating to Land Down Under which may or may not have led to the suicide of the flute/saxaphone player Greg Ham.

Grant when you come to Oz, I'm sure your current setlist will work fine.

LOL... the video he posted was an Icehouse tune... which I didn't even know existed. They and Split Endz were certainly way more obscure than Men At Work were.

Which was sort of my point. You'd be surprised at how much 80's material still works today in 2012. Pour Some Sugar On ME, Footloose, Micky, Sedated, Dancing With Myself... these songs don't have the punch they had on the dance floor say 5-7 years ago, but they still work. Again it's all in the delivery and presentation.

• Members

LOL... the video he posted was an Icehouse tune... which I didn't even know existed. They and Split Endz were certainly way more obscure than Men At Work were.

Which was sort of my point. You'd be surprised at how much 80's material still works today in 2012. Pour Some Sugar On ME, Footloose, Micky, Sedated, Dancing With Myself... these songs don't have the punch they had on the dance floor say 5-7 years ago, but they still work. Again it's all in the delivery and presentation.

Icehouse definitely do not get a start......ever. :facepalm:

• Members

Loving the Oz Rock nostalgia, but bringing it back to what gets girls on the floor......they seem to love Jet - Are you Going to be My Girl.

Really? Interesting. I don't doubt it. That was a setlist staple 5-6 years ago and it usually got a decent reaction. In my market, we would sound pretty outdated playing simply because every local classic rock band is still banging it out, along with Weezer's Beverly Hill's thinking it's still current Top 40. :D

JET is also an Aussie band right? Again it shows you how demographics play out in different areas.

Archived